Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Personally I think that Castro is actually the better scrummager than Cole.

I think that Cole has been developed in the recent years where the hit is the most important part of the scrum. When Castro/Cole comes up against a team that focuses on other aspects than the hit eg Treviso, then Castro actually seems more effective than Cole. If the IRB got its act together and the refs actually managed a scrum correctly then I doubt that we would even be considering letting Castro go. In recent years if your front row can get the upperhand with the hit then your sorted, where as the italian/argentinian way is to push when the ball has been put in!

Obviously this is just a fans opinions who has never played in the front row for a professional team! I was a hooker in my younger days though!
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Of course we should try to keep him. But we cannot compete with Toulon's cheque book either with or without the salary cap. To suggest the fans are, or might become the cause of his going (as GS seems to be doing in this thread) is arrant nonsense IMHO. He will go because he wants more money and does not like being number 2. I cannot agree with the assertion that Cole is a worse scrummager, he is clearly not (again in my opinion), and whilst Castro does put in tackles (quite often of the body in the way method!) he does not offer the second number 7 role that Cole offers in a unique way for a prop. All in all, Cole is at present considerably the better player and sad as I will be to see Castro go, we cannot keep him if Toulon want him enough. I wish him well and believe his reasoning for the move to be entirely incapable of criticism.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Various posters mention that Castro may leave because he is not happy being number 2 in the pecking order.

I'm not sure how going to Toulon, with their front row resources, would be an improvement in that area ?

It can't be the climate either, can it :smt002

So, if its not the rugby or the club itself, then that would only leave one thing.....

Personally, I believe Castro would like to stay and that we are a better squad with him in it.

All the papers are currently speculating without quotable sources it seems, so lets wait and see what happens....
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Perhaps going there to open Italian restaurants?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Johnny to retire and manage castro,s new
restaurants perhaps?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Much as I'd like him to stay, if his salary being removed from the budget (and a transfer fee) means the club can bring and develop in 3 or 4 more new players (the next Ayerza, the next Castro, another talented Irish kid perhaps; you get my gist), it can only be a good thing in the long term.

Although the academy maybe hasn't produced as many first teamers as some people would like to see, the club is undeniably very good at developing players so they're far better than they were when they arrived.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The conversation should go:

Tigers: Martin we would like you to stay, do you want to.
Castro: Yes (end of conversation) or No I would like to go to France.
Tigers: In that case you & your New Clube need to come up with £x to let you go, then we will be happy for you to cross the Channel or you can play for another 12 months with us which we are happy with.

Simples.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wolverhampton_tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by wolverhampton_tiger »

Cockers confirmed on Radio Leicester after the game today that this is true, said the club would decide what was best for it.

Guess we'll be looking for a new prop then.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Castro looked very emotional after the game, he stood in front of the CAT stand for about 5 minutes. Looked like he was on the verge of crying. That could have been his last game at Welford Road and if the rumours are to believed we could be facing Castro when we travel to Toulon. If he does leave, what a game to finish on for him.Castro, you are a legend. Leaving doesn't change this. It will be interesting to see what Cockers does concerning props, does he sign a new prop or let Balmain develop?
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

We wouldn't let him go before the end of the season, and even we did he couldn't play for Toulon as he would be cup tied.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

TigerLad wrote:It will be interesting to see what Cockers does concerning props, does he sign a new prop or let Balmain develop?
IMO Cockers should let Balmain develop, as he has the potential to be an excellent prop. But Cockers should also look to bring in an experienced TH, not necessarily of international class but onewho knows how to scrum, to provide cover. Especially as Marcos will miss the first 6 weeks of the season, Logo will be away during the AIs and Cole will be missing during the AIs and 6Ns. IMO if Castro and Brookes leave a prop cupboard of:

TH: Cole, Logo, Balmain
LH: Marcos, Boris, Logo

is still a little bare.

Surely Castro, if he does leave, will do so at the end of the year. It will be sad to see him go but from what Cockers said the attraction of a 3 year deal with a much better wage than his current one is too big an opportunity for Castro to turn down. I certainly can't blame him- a similar situation to A.Tuilagi last year really.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

PM76 wrote:
TigerLad wrote:It will be interesting to see what Cockers does concerning props, does he sign a new prop or let Balmain develop?
IMO Cockers should let Balmain develop, as he has the potential to be an excellent prop. But Cockers should also look to bring in an experienced TH, not necessarily of international class but onewho knows how to scrum, to provide cover. Especially as Marcos will miss the first 6 weeks of the season, Logo will be away during the AIs and Cole will be missing during the AIs and 6Ns. IMO if Castro and Brookes leave a prop cupboard of:

is still a little bare.

Surely Castro, if he does leave, will do so at the end of the year. It will be sad to see him go but from what Cockers said the attraction of a 3 year deal with a much better wage than his current one is too big an opportunity for Castro to turn down. I certainly can't blame him- a similar situation to A.Tuilagi last year really.
Brookes is still on England's radar (see Saxons thread), so I would guess that Tigers will want to keep hold of him.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
PM76 wrote:

is still a little bare.

Brookes is still on England's radar (see Saxons thread), so I would guess that Tigers will want to keep hold of him.
I don't know if Brookes will re-sign but he has been linked with a move away, Bath have been mentioned.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club has it exactly right and that is almost exactly what Ricardo Cockerillo said on BBC Leicester tonight, but he added that discussions with Toulon had been taking place and that if it suited the Club and the player then it could happen , but if it didn't (ie, Toulon not prepared to pay up the remaining year on Castro's contract) then it wouldn't.
If he does go, I vote he is given the Freedon of the City of Leicester before he goes....great bloke whatever way you look at it!
mjonesss95
Tiger Cub

Post by mjonesss95 »

Castro's all but confirmed he's on his way out. Seems as though he just wants to play more!
tigers through and through!