Mathew Tait

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Mathew Tait

Post by bluntiger »

I for one was pretty unsure that we would ever see Tait again in a Tigers shirt and if he did, I was expecting hime to be a regular in the physios room.

But I have been proved well and truely wrong and he seems to be playing with enormous courage and heart. Sure, he has made errors, but he has been overall, terrific and will only get better.
Always a Tiger
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Mathew Tait

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

bluntiger wrote:I for one was pretty unsure that we would ever see Tait again in a Tigers shirt and if he did, I was expecting hime to be a regular in the physios room.

But I have been proved well and truely wrong and he seems to be playing with enormous courage and heart. Sure, he has made errors, but he has been overall, terrific and will only get better.
Completely agree. I, for one, appear to have been in the minority on here and had faith that he'd be back and firing - we just had to have patience. I'm pleased that my faith is being proved right.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Another shrewd purchase by our management team,trouble is if he gets too good England might take him and break him again.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Despite his wealth of experience he is still mid-twenties in age.
The comments I've heard him make suggest he is grateful to Tigers for giving him the opportunity and intends to pay us back handsomely.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Always had talent just a shame that injuries have taken so much time out of his career to date.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I must concur. Tait appears to have a lion's heart as he plays through broken noses and such and hurtles into collisions.

We'll see if his famed jinking instinct returns as he gets more miles on his clock.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

bluntiger wrote:I for one was pretty unsure that we would ever see Tait again in a Tigers shirt and if he did, I was expecting hime to be a regular in the physios room.

My thought exactly. I am pleased to be sampling humble pie!
Still early days but I am hopeful that Tigers have got him properly fit. Not sure if anyone saw the article in - I believe - the Telegraph a month or so ago regarding the cutting edge software Tigers are using that helps PREDICT the most likely time a player will get injured. Using this means that players get rested more often to protect them, can only help them all in the long term.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Its great to see Matt back and getting stuck in. He is a massive talent and theres much more to come
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

A great talent and a great signing. I don't think the club could have found a better replacement for Smurph given the constraints of the salary cap etc. Tait will get better at FB as he gets used to the positional play etc. He has already shown some touches of class too.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Ah, but dont abandon Geordan just yet!
Tigers - true Champions!
Leghorn

Post by Leghorn »

I thought he played a blinder over in Swansea. Heart of a lion,sorry, Tiger.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

What I really like is that he's making steady progress - I'll be intrigued to see where he finally gets to in the Tigers environment. Look how it developed the likes of Parling, Flood etc.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

For me the signing of Tait could rank alongside that of Anthony Allen, who has developed very well during his time at Tigers. With a fully fit Allen and Tait in our backs alongdside the likes of Morris and Thompstone, we could have the basis of a very strong regular bakc line.
( I have not included our internationals as I am talking about a spine of players in the backs who will be available to us most of the season).

What I like about Tait is his calmness and decision making and his tackling is generally good. I wish him well....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I strongly suspect that his continued improvement will be primarily due to his returning self-confidence. He will have been in some "dark places" in the last 2 years, and his obvious relief at being back on the pitch should gradually be replaced by self-confidence as he settles in. He has shown signs of what he can do as he has had more game time, but at the moment I would say that he will be his own greatest critic - you can see this in his face when he makes the odd cock-up.

Let's give the guy some credit and time to reach his potential. As far as being "injury prone" is concerned, it's just superstitious twaddle.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I was never a fan of Tait before he came to us but he is proving to be better than I expected - He shows more comitment than he did previously. I think you cannot live in the Tigers atmosphere if you don't.

He is still a little suspisious defensively and ideed made an error defensively for their last try by not trusting the drift, and therefore giving himself more to make up on the cover tackle - however he was not alone in that as Walker slipped 5 tackles - Tait should never have been in the position to have to make the tackle

I expect him to get better - much like Allen who became a different player in Tigers stripes