Rugby Paper - Colin Boag

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Rugby Paper - Colin Boag

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

The Colin Boag column this last weekend's Rugby Paper was the straw that broke the camel's back. His constant picking (both subtle and obvious) at Tigers finally got to me.

I have sent the following to the letters page, with a "double dare" to them to print it....

Sirs

Re Colin Boag column 6 Jan 13 "Cockerill in doggerel is pure poetry for me"

So frustrated was I by Colin Boag's critisism of Richard Cockerill in his column last weekend after the Gloucester game that I decided to look him up to see why The Rugby paper's lead columnist so consistently has it in for anything red, white and green.

Is this the same Colin Boag who was cited by the Gloucester Citizen as a "Long time Gloucester Rugby supporter and Citizen fans panelist" in 2009 perhaps?

Outright criticism or at the very least sly jabs at anything to do with the Tigers are something I have noticed frequently in his column, yet never to my knowledge has Mr Boag had the good grace to inform readers of his own personal loyalties which must influence his perspective - especially after a tense game like the recent Tigers Gloucester match.

As a loyal reader of The Rugby Paper (and I dare say there are many others in the East Midlands) I expect impartial commentary from its journalists and nonpartisan opinion from its columnists.

If this is not possible, at least an acknowledgement by your writers of their allegiances would allow us mere readers to come to our own conclusions as to the independence of their views, and in Mr Boag's case take it with the pinch of Cherry and White salt it deserves.

Yours etc

No doubt it won't get printed, but I thought I would share my letter here so other Tigers fans are in no doubt as to Mr Boag's pedigree. :smt012
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby Paper - Colin Boag

Post by fentiger »

Brilliant, well done :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

:smt023

First time I have bought the rag. It will be the last.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Brookfield

Post by Brookfield »

It's not just Boag. The reporter on the Tiger v Warriors game is no friend of Tigers. He reports on Castro's and Goode's yellow cards in very different ways. Castro's was an illegal tackle, Goode's was in the act of trying to prevent a try (if that was what Goode was doing then he was criminally late). Furthermore in his ratings the two highest rated front row players were from Warriors. Nick Cain is just as bad. A plague on all their houses I say.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Very eloquently put .......deano :smt001
Soggypitch
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

As a regular reader of Private Eye for many years (Street of Shame column for example) I find it difficult to have any respect for the profession. Period. Nice letter by the way - eloquently put.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

It is what journalists do best and that is to get up the noses of Joe Public. They wont complain as his article has now become a talking point and invariably led to more sales. Job done in their eyes then.

BTW, I agree with your letter Deano.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Good letter,i hope they have the b**ls to publish it.

I stopped buying the paper some time ago because of bias against Tigers.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Very well put, it might be worth putting it on other clubs forums, pointing out the pro Glaws bias,maybe not worth putting it on the "shedweb" though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

thebearisstilldeano wrote:The Colin Boag column this last weekend's Rugby Paper was the straw that broke the camel's back. His constant picking (both subtle and obvious) at Tigers finally got to me.

I have sent the following to the letters page, with a "double dare" to them to print it....

Sirs

Re Colin Boag column 6 Jan 13 "Cockerill in doggerel is pure poetry for me"

So frustrated was I by Colin Boag's critisism of Richard Cockerill in his column last weekend after the Gloucester game that I decided to look him up to see why The Rugby paper's lead columnist so consistently has it in for anything red, white and green.

Is this the same Colin Boag who was cited by the Gloucester Citizen as a "Long time Gloucester Rugby supporter and Citizen fans panelist" in 2009 perhaps?

Outright criticism or at the very least sly jabs at anything to do with the Tigers are something I have noticed frequently in his column, yet never to my knowledge has Mr Boag had the good grace to inform readers of his own personal loyalties which must influence his perspective - especially after a tense game like the recent Tigers Gloucester match.

As a loyal reader of The Rugby Paper (and I dare say there are many others in the East Midlands) I expect impartial commentary from its journalists and nonpartisan opinion from its columnists.

If this is not possible, at least an acknowledgement by your writers of their allegiances would allow us mere readers to come to our own conclusions as to the independence of their views, and in Mr Boag's case take it with the pinch of Cherry and White salt it deserves.

Yours etc

No doubt it won't get printed, but I thought I would share my letter here so other Tigers fans are in no doubt as to Mr Boag's pedigree. :smt012

Well constructed letter - in fairness to the RP, I sent an email to them a couple of seasons ago in response to a Jeff Probyn column where he likened Tigers fans to football fans. I asked for clarification on the basis of this, as in was he accusing us of being thugs / hooligans? I just wanted clarification (by the way, i am a football fan too and do not believe all football fans to be thugs / hooligans) as it did not come across as a compliment. Not only did JP publish the letter, he did so as part of a 2 page spread - so don't automatically think it won't get published
Less is more....
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Now if he had said THAT about the shedheads...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If you want real anti-Tigers bias read the Independent, especially Chris Hewett.
Last year he reported a match that Tigers won, and he managed to relegate vaguely positive comments to the last paragraph. I said to Mrs G at the time that you wouldn't know that Tigers won apart from the scoreline!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Having been to the last Glaws/Tigers game, IMO Glaws supporters are the most 'one-eyed' bunch ever. So I guess you can't really expect any different from CB just as Stu Barnes (Bath) does ever game on Sky.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat