Tigers v Gloucester - 3rd v 4th!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Gloucester - 3rd v 4th!!!

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote: as accurate as your typing.
conceeded ??????

No one manages 4 tries in those sort of conditions, not even Mr Penalty.

Wasps did
Still keeping the faith!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Watched on TV today.

Thought we worked hard for the win.

Ford is stil;l learning and needs this experience for his and the clubs development. We are a different side with Flood and Ford has some way to go before he reaches his standard. Flood stands so flat that he panics the oppisition and while Forsd will do this soon he is not there yet.

Have to say Allen was simply brilliant today...defence secellent but there when it mattered, which is what makes him special...Mafi looks raring to go and thank god

Crane a great improvement.....5 points against Worster please and hopefully Mafi and Croft ready for for the Ospreys..

Bottom line is....its coming people and we are in a much better position than last year so we can be fresher for the run in...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bill W (2) wrote:[No one manages 4 tries in those sort of conditions, not even Mr Penalty.

Wasps did
[/quote]
Not at Welford Road against us they didn't, Glaws are a tad more competition than Oxford too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Manu did so much today, sleight of hand pass, crucial tackle on one wing and then almost immediately crucial tackle on the other wing. Lots of good tackling and catching and all round everything.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Isambard wrote:Manu did so much today, sleight of hand pass, crucial tackle on one wing and then almost immediately crucial tackle on the other wing. Lots of good tackling and catching and all round everything.
First half went awol but thankfully he turned up for the second half. Still believe he does not favour these recent yucky wet conditions
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I find the ciriticism of Ford a touch harsh. He didn't have a full week training with the squad, he onoy learnt he was starting on the day of the game. Not any game either, one of the top teams in the country in terrible conditions. It's worth remembering the kicks he miaaed were into the wind (Burns also struggled when kicking towards the clubhouse). Tigers won because we played in the right areas, Youngs, Ford and the ever brilliant Murphy put us in those positions.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sam16111986 wrote:I find the ciriticism of Ford a touch harsh. He didn't have a full week training with the squad, he onoy learnt he was starting on the day of the game. Not any game either, one of the top teams in the country in terrible conditions. It's worth remembering the kicks he miaaed were into the wind (Burns also struggled when kicking towards the clubhouse). Tigers won because we played in the right areas, Youngs, Ford and the ever brilliant Murphy put us in those positions.
I dont buy this criticism of Ford as being unacceptable. He was on he bench originally and should have been ready. His kicking still has a bit to be desired......one diabolical kick which anyone could have kicked better......still a long way behind Flood. He will get there but needs to work on his kicking
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:
sam16111986 wrote:I find the ciriticism of Ford a touch harsh. He didn't have a full week training with the squad, he onoy learnt he was starting on the day of the game. Not any game either, one of the top teams in the country in terrible conditions. It's worth remembering the kicks he miaaed were into the wind (Burns also struggled when kicking towards the clubhouse). Tigers won because we played in the right areas, Youngs, Ford and the ever brilliant Murphy put us in those positions.
I dont buy this criticism of Ford as being unacceptable. He was on he bench originally and should have been ready. His kicking still has a bit to be desired......one diabolical kick which anyone could have kicked better......still a long way behind Flood. He will get there but needs to work on his kicking
Refreshing honesty :smt023 cannot understand why Ford's goal kicking is getting even worse than last season yet Toby Flood's kicking has improved since last season. Funny that when after all they both have the same kicking coach :smt017
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

A Glaws fan sat in front of me reckoned that the Tigers' kicking coach should have won man-of-the-match.

For Gloucester, of course....
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Fords future at Tigers is in his hands.....Tigers will want to keep him but he may have to be patient and push Toby for the jersey and wil develop in the process. Alternatively, if he s looking for regular rugby and bettter money he will move on and may struggle to fullfil his full potential.

Better the devil you know?
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:Fords future at Tigers is in his hands.....Tigers will want to keep him but he may have to be patient and push Toby for the jersey and wil develop in the process. Alternatively, if he s looking for regular rugby and bettter money he will move on and may struggle to fullfil his full potential.

Better the devil you know?

Nice one Tigerbeat :smt002 but the question is who is the Devil?
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

It never ceases to amaze me regarding the amount of criticism our fly half's (or stand off's depending on who you are) get after a game.

Today I thought GF had an OK game, some good kicks from hand and a couple of bad kicks at goal. Now that he has played today, all the critics are on his back for basically missing a couple of kicks. Some no doubt are full of his praise when Toby Flood is playing as GF would of done this or done that if TF makes a mistake, but when he plays there is a mass turn around and all are on his back. He just cannot win.

What do you critics want? Because I cannot work out what it is. GF or TF? Me I prefer to see TF as he has more ability than GF but in time I suspect GF will become a much better player.

At the end of the day we have both in our ranks and I suspect most teams would be envious of us for this.

I await the bashing!!!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

The goals that GF missed were not the most difficult he will ever have to kick. In the context of a very tight game, however, his misses could have meant the difference between winning and losing.

His open play was laudible but his place kicking was less than good.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:It never ceases to amaze me regarding the amount of criticism our fly half's (or stand off's depending on who you are) get after a game.

Today I thought GF had an OK game, some good kicks from hand and a couple of bad kicks at goal. Now that he has played today, all the critics are on his back for basically missing a couple of kicks. Some no doubt are full of his praise when Toby Flood is playing as GF would of done this or done that if TF makes a mistake, but when he plays there is a mass turn around and all are on his back. He just cannot win.

What do you critics want? Because I cannot work out what it is. GF or TF? Me I prefer to see TF as he has more ability than GF but in time I suspect GF will become a much better player.

At the end of the day we have both in our ranks and I suspect most teams would be envious of us for this.

I await the bashing!!!

I would afford the same criticism to Flood in the same circumstances. I like Ford as a player but his place kicking is not up to the mark.
He has not kicked well in recent matches and needs to work on it. His kicking from hand has been good and his game management is improving with every game.
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He was on he bench originally and should have been ready. His kicking still has a bit to be desired......one diabolical kick which anyone could have kicked better......still a long way behind Flood.
1. The diabolical kick was into a strong wind on slippy turf. Burns also struggled when kicking at that end. It's the area Ford needs to concentrate on most.
2. I'd :censored: well hope our 50+ cap international 10 who at 26 is in his prime is better than our England under 20 flyhalf otherwise why are we paying Floody so much? Ford needs experience, which he is getting in order to reach his potential.
3. Being on the bench means that Flood will have gone through the game plan specific moves in training. Ford was only supposed to be used in case of injury or a large Tigers lead. That does make a large difference to your preperation.