African water - do something!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

African water - do something!

Post by Kinoulton »

I daresay the current proliferation of adverts is a massive switch-off but honestly it would be so simple to save millions of lives.

One of the odd things about the African conditions, heat, humidity and lack of vitamins in the soil is that diarrhea can be an absolute killer.

My own daughter lost half her bodyweight in three days. I'm not suggesting we all take to the streets rattling begging tins, but a minute proportion of the budgets of UK, France, Germany, Russia, USA etc would solve it.

Put pressure on your local MP and we might get somewhere. There is a massive force for saying we shouldn't tamper with embryos and yet we allow millions of living children to die horrible deaths and it's barely on the radar.

Rant over.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: African water - do something!

Post by CJ »

dead right, Kinny. I do some voluntary work in a village in Zambia and there have been two key elements: malaria nets and bore holes to bring safe and plentiful water. Both are cheap and each has made a huge difference to the people in the village.

It takes a pitiful amount of money to do a lot of good.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

CJ wrote:dead right, Kinny. I do some voluntary work in a village in Zambia and there have been two key elements: malaria nets and bore holes to bring safe and plentiful water. Both are cheap and each has made a huge difference to the people in the village.

It takes a pitiful amount of money to do a lot of good.
Where abouts in Zambia do you work. Used to live there
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

village of Kasalu, Chikumbi district. about 40 km north of Lusaka but a world away in what they have. we work through a very small charity called Baraka (means blessing in several languages - google it!). We are about to stop work in Kasalu as they could be self sufficient and move on to the next village where the need for water is paramount and the water table is lower.

we live with the local people in their huts. hard but by heck it teaches you how lucky we are.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Used to live in Kabwe
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
St John Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by St John Tiger »

Not sure what this has to do with rugby? However since the topic has been discussed, have you any idea how much money has been donated to Africa in the last 50 years? Africa has been given $billions in aid and has little to show for it due to corruption and mismanagement. Send a few million to Africa, the president needs a new jet! You would be better off giving/raising money for local charaties.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

St John Tiger wrote:Not sure what this has to do with rugby?
As it says here, this section of the forum is for non-rugby related chat.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Very interested in CJ's post.

When I worked in Lagos I would always dash my driver a few Naira as he was a good lad. It would immediately go to his mother's village where he assured me it made a huge difference.

As for what we have done thus far? Well Live Aid raised £8m, which was a great effort, but for heaven's sake we are talking about Africa. A massive, massive continent. £8m will do lots of good but it won't solve enough.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I have in the past given via WaterAid for the purpose Kinny is talking about - but recently I have signed up to sponsor a little girl through school in Haiti, it only costs £10 a month and it means the world to her and her family.

I have also signed up to GiveAsYouLive.com. you download a small programme to your computer and register, and every time you shop online, the retailer donates a percentage to your chosen charity. Mine is currently The Andrew Grene Foundation, building schools and helping children in Haiti. Give as you Live costs you nothing, but donations are raised via various retailers, for example M&S give 1.5% of your online spend, other retailers give between 1% and up to 4% for some. it's worth looking into.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
paula123

Post by paula123 »

Rizzo what you are doing sounds like a great idea as long as you are 100% certain that your £10 per month actually goes to this child and her family.

I know completely different and irrelevant but i used to sponsor a lioness at the Isle of White Zoo.I did so for 5 years.I received updates every 6 months(photos,and messages etc.)When we were holidaying on the Island we decided to visit the Zoo and in particular Diamond(the Lioness i sponsored)only to find out that she had died a year ago!I hadn't been informed of this yet my money was still being taken every month from my account.When i approached the Manager i was told that the Zoo was still very grateful of my money even though it wasn't going on what it was supposed to!

I suppose what i am saying is i would donate a lot more money if i knew,(and was confident)that it was going where it is supposed too.

As said in another post with all the Millions/Billions sent to Africa why is their still so much suffering?
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I understand what you are saying, Paula, but I am 100% sure of this. My friend works for the Andrew Grene Foundation as head of fundraising, she has visited the school built in Andrew's name several times, and has spent time with all the children. I had a nice handwritten letter from Saindie, the girl I am sponsoring, just before Christmas with little drawings she had coloured with her paper and crayons provided by the foundation.

http://www.andrewgrene.org/
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

and I know for a fact that any money I donate to Baraka goes to the villages. They use the gift aid for any admin like postage.

I too sponsor a girl from the village and hope that she gets good enough results to go to agricultural college. If so I will pay her fees and I will pay direct to the college. none of the money goes through the government or civil service in any way.

When we go to stay, each family gets $15 a day for our keep, plus we go to the supermarket and bring bags of meal, flour, some soap etc etc with us. that's not to mention all the clothes, shoes and everything else that we take with us (we book through a specific travel agent which means we can have three bags of 23 kg)

More than willing to let anyone have any more information. PM me if you want to know more - and come with us next time!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would rather support the Bodie Hodges local charity myself, each to their own, but I have sent enough money to Africa and it does not seem to have much effect.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.