Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jauzy19
Top Cat
Top Cat

Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Post by jauzy19 »

Done deal according to La Provence this afternoon.

http://www.laprovence.com/actu/sports-e ... rogiovanni
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Martin Castrogiovanni signs for Toulon

Post by G.K »

Après Bryan Habana et John Smit, Mourad Boudjellal va semble-t-il offrir un nouveau cadeau aux supporters du RC Toulon. Selon La Provence, le pilier Martin Castrogiavanni (31 ans, 1m86, 122kg) évoluera avec les Varois la saison prochaine. L’international italien (82 sélections) arrive de Leicester dont il défendait les couleurs depuis 2006 avec trois titres de champion d’Angleterre à la clé. Toulon n'a, pour le moment, pas confirmé l'information.

Seems to indicate at Toulon from next season and appears to originate from Bryan Habana and John Smit - but not yet confirmed by Toulon.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jauzy19
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by jauzy19 »

French clubs can't confirm anything before the 21st of April.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I'll wait until it's confirmed but its not really surprising- Tigers have Balmain coming through and Logo can play TH too. Castro, despite his improved recent form, is not the player he was, combine this with Dan's progression and the salary cap and it makes sense for both parties.

It would be really sad to see him leave but his salary may free up some money for Mafi, Salvi, the Youngs brothers, Kitchener and, hopefully, many more to stay.

Castro will always be a Tigers legend and hopefully its a rumour and a case of 2+2=5 but I doubt it.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

G.K wrote:Seems to indicate at Toulon from next season and appears to originate from Bryan Habana and John Smit - but not yet confirmed by Toulon.
Not sure it originates from Habana or Smit, think it's meaning they've also been 'acquired' for next season, and following them Castro appears to be on the verge of becoming ( an agreement is about to be concluded) a Racing Club Toulon recruit from next season.

Like PM76 says, it's not really surprising, Cole is, IMO, our starting TH now and we have Balmain coming through, Logo can play either side and don't we also have Kieron Brooks (currently loaned out at Doncaster I think)?. Makes financial sense to all concerned IF true, let's wait for confirmation one way or the other. Will be sad to see him leave, always be welcome back, Legends always are!

Does the Jan 1st deadline for talking to players under contract apply to French / foreign clubs? :smt017 - unless of course Tigers have given the alleged talks the go ahead.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes just re-read it - it's apres not d'apres!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

The restriction only applies to English (PRL) clubs
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

johns wrote:The restriction only applies to English (PRL) clubs
Thanks johns :smt023 maybe that would also apply to the clubs who "may" have popped up on Salvi's radar during negotiations.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Whether or not it's true it does raise again the issue of the salary cap differential - we will, along with all other English clubs risk having our best players poached and the Heineken Cup even more elusive as a result!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Raises an interesting question what do you do when your marquee player leaves... as his wages were essentially irrelevant to the cap anyway... so do you handicap yourself by the difference and put your next highest paid player in there and distribute their less considerable wages around the cap to top up other wages? Or do you sign another superstar whose wages are irrelevant to the cap.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kornboy130 wrote:Raises an interesting question what do you do when your marquee player leaves... as his wages were essentially irrelevant to the cap anyway... so do you handicap yourself by the difference and put your next highest paid player in there and distribute their less considerable wages around the cap to top up other wages? Or do you sign another superstar whose wages are irrelevant to the cap.
I didn't think you could make an existing player your marquee player? I thought it had to be someone from outside of the club.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:I didn't think you could make an existing player your marquee player? I thought it had to be someone from outside of the club.
But that's what we did with Castro wasn't it ?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If it's true then good luck to him he has been a true Tiger.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Gutted he's off, has been a great player and a genuinely nice bloke whilst here. A Tigers legend.

Re the salary cap, you declare the marquee player at the start of each season with up to 300k being out the cap. The only restriction is you can't use the marquee ruling to sign an English player from another English club. Or that's how I understood it. Cole would slot in as the marquee player Balmain and Brookes would be asked to step up, maybe Bower as well.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I thought Castro was still under contract for next season?

If this story is factual, we will have lost a true Tigers legend and a tremendous personality who exemplifies pride and joy playing in a Tigers shirt. I will deeply miss him :smt010
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity