Treviso ... a team on form?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Treviso ... a team on form?

Post by Big Dai »

DaveRave wrote:Although the metaphor isn't really valid because 'at this stage of the clash' there is no play taking place.

Still, anyone fancy a pint?
There is in the mind! ............And that's the darkest place of all.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Old Tight Head »

The record books will show a five point victory. But... there is no way that Tigers' second half display could be described as acceptable, no matter who the opposition.

"You can't accept mediocrity, can you?". Damned right, Mr Cockerill...
Cut me and I bleed red, green and white...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old Tight Head wrote:The record books will show a five point victory. But... there is no way that Tigers' second half display could be described as acceptable, no matter who the opposition.

"You can't accept mediocrity, can you?". Damned right, Mr Cockerill...
That "Like" button would come in handy here.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

I've never criticised the team, players or coaches because I do believe that they always try their best. However, I thought that when Young ran the ball into touch - all of 25 /30 yards - towards his own goal-line to make the ball dead, and therefore bring the game to an end, was the most cowardly (non-violent) thing I've seen in 35 years of watching Tigers. Deplorable. OK, it's within the rules, but so are MP's expenses. I'd like to see the practice outlawed - make the ball dead only in a forward movement.

Well done Tigers, well done Treviso - they'd not look out of place in the premiership. Treviso have perhaps shocked Tigers into recognising that next week's game will be a big test.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

All very sadly too predictable, as soon as Tigers got that 4th try they just shut up shop and thought they could coast it for the whole of the second half. How arrogant was that as was RC with his changes that destroyed any shape we had. Tackling was virtually non existent at times badly missed AA, Manu was a shadow of himself, Bowden where was he? TTTE brilliant as ever and controlled the ball at the base of the scrum at No8, we lost momentum badly when Crane came on. Tait was classy and the best player in Tigers colours today. Treviso managed to slow our ball down to a snails pace yet they delivered quick ball easily and whilst we dominated in the scrum their forwards were really up for it in the loose and their rolling maul was effective as was their line out defence of our driving maul. Fords restarts and drop out were far to long giving them a chance to run it back at us frequently with real pace.

Next week we need to turn up and play like a championship winning team because at the moment we are guilty of thinking and believing that we are much better than we actually are :smt009 If not then we are out of it!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TigerCam wrote:Totally inept for 80 mins.
Apart from when we managed to play (a bit) and score 5 tries, hardly "Totally Inept".

Whilst agreeing to a degree with your sentiment AND sharing your obvious disappointment with our, at times (second half), shambolic performance, your words above are way OTT IMO.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

In some ways games like this are good for my health. I hate watching on Telly, always taking the tackles in my armchair, getting far too excited, but now that I realise that we are a team of absolute no-hopers as far as the HC is concerned, I can relax. Calm yourself down, I say, and just have a laugh. I can look forward to next week's game with neither hope nor expectation. My Doctor will be pleased. :smt025
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

. How arrogant was that as was RC with his changes that destroyed any shape we had. Tackling was virtually non existent at times badly missed AA, Manu was a shadow of himself, Bowden where was he? TTTE brilliant as ever and controlled the ball at the base of the scrum at No8, we lost momentum badly when Crane came on
Ah the classic blame Cockers and Crane. Just a dig at MOC away from hitting all the forum cliches. Cockers didn't have a whole lot of choice with the subs as so many of the starting players looked dead on their feet by the 60th minute. The squad has been stretched over the AI period and it showed. By yhe time Crane came on we were already on the back foot and needed a fresh tackler. Waldrom was epic for the first half but slowly vanished over the course of the second.

It wasn't a great performance but it was job done 5 points acquired. Next week we have a host of key players to welcome back, Cole, Deacon, Flood, Allen and Mulipola to start. Geordie as well. This pessimism is unduly negative. The team lacked a lot of organisation in defence throughout but we were down to our 5th choice captain (great player though he is) and were missing the defensive lynch pin of our midfield.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sapajo wrote:badly missed AA, Manu was a shadow of himself, Bowden where was he? TTTE brilliant as ever and controlled the ball at the base of the scrum at No8, we lost momentum badly when Crane came on. Tait was classy and the best player in Tigers colours today.
Manu was pretty good in the first half but fell a way in the 2nd half, i think his fitness is a little suspect at the moment, Bowden was pretty good IMO, Showed a lot of skill some times and was solid in defense, He seemed to be the victim of a lot of cut out passes to Manu, TTTE was OK at best, He was very quiet in the last 30 although his control of the ball at No8 has certainly improved, And i can hardly see how we "lost momentum" when crane came on being as he came on for Parling???? :smt017
I do however agree that Tait was very good, I just wish he would back himself more sometimes, If he could also develop a good hand off he would be a lethal counter attacker :smt001
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Have the rules of rugby changed recently and I haven't noticed?

I thought that there was a need when kicking out of hand to find space. If my memory serves me right, every kick out of hand this afternoon went down the throat of a Treviso player. Do the rules now say that this is a requirement? Do we get any more bonus points for finding a Treviso player with every kick?Clearly they don't look where they are kicking it.

Very disappointing second half performance.
Give blood, play rugby!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

sam16111986 wrote:
. How arrogant was that as was RC with his changes that destroyed any shape we had. Tackling was virtually non existent at times badly missed AA, Manu was a shadow of himself, Bowden where was he? TTTE brilliant as ever and controlled the ball at the base of the scrum at No8, we lost momentum badly when Crane came on
Ah the classic blame Cockers and Crane. Just a dig at MOC away from hitting all the forum cliches. Cockers didn't have a whole lot of choice with the subs as so many of the starting players looked dead on their feet by the 60th minute. The squad has been stretched over the AI period and it showed. By yhe time Crane came on we were already on the back foot and needed a fresh tackler. Waldrom was epic for the first half but slowly vanished over the course of the second.

It wasn't a great performance but it was job done 5 points acquired. Next week we have a host of key players to welcome back, Cole, Deacon, Flood, Allen and Mulipola to start. Geordie as well. This pessimism is unduly negative. The team lacked a lot of organisation in defence throughout but we were down to our 5th choice captain (great player though he is) and were missing the defensive lynch pin of our midfield.
I find it rather surprising that so many Tigers players apparently can't play more than 60 mins rugby once a week. I watched several games over the weekend played at a much higher intensity but they managed to keep it up for 80 mins.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote:

Why accept mediocrity?
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

I'm with Sam12839020930293888.5 on this one. First half I thought we looked pretty decent. Some good attacking moves, some of which weren't executed properly but had MoC's stamp all over them. Some good lines of running. Then the wheels came off, was it tiredness ? Cole will clearly be key next week, as we will look to get to the set piece as much as we can - if we do then scrum and lineout will win us the game. We can't get into an open, running game - it reminded me of the Gloucester game away, we kept kicking to them saying "come on, run it back"...and they did.

The world hasn't ended...5 points secure, we move on. Flood, Cole and Ant to come back in next week.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The half time substitutions were tactical (T Youngs) and injury (Goneva) but Tiger struggled to marshall the defence against a determined Treviso team. Allen was badly missed.
Expect another tough game next week. Treviso made so may changes to the team that they announced yesterday.
Job done today.....bring on next week!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:The half time substitutions were tactical (T Youngs) and injury (Goneva) but Tiger struggled to marshall the defence against a determined Treviso team. Allen was badly missed.
Expect another tough game next week. Treviso made so may changes to the team that they announced yesterday.
Job done today.....bring on next week!!
Struggled to marshall the defence is a euphamisim for to many missed tackles.