England match - Toby injured, Robshaw brain-dead.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: England match - Toby injured, Robshaw brain-dead.

Post by jgriffin »

EDIT:

Law in question -
In general play, a player can be put onside either by an action of a team-mate or by an action of an opponent. However, the offside player cannot be put onside if the offside player interferes with play; or moves forward, towards the ball, or fails to move 10 metres away from the place where the ball lands
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying - Mrs G actually said "he was lurking offside, hadn't retreated - there's something wrong with that decision?". Perhaps Owens did ask the wrong question, surely the review was of the whole sequence as in the replay on TV?

Having said that, I honestly did not think England had done enough to win, just not good enough attacking. And the hack who rated Corbiesero over Cole - wasn't Chris 'London clubs' Hewett was it? Either that or not watching the game.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Smudge wrote:Flood was poor today.
Kickoffs, box kicks, touch finding and two easy penalties.
Yes he has been good in times past but he can't cut it at the moment.

Once Burns comes in, TF wont get back in to the side.
Oh well... after that assessment, Toby Flood may as well retire with immediate effect and look for a new job.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Oh well... after that assessment, Toby Flood may as well retire with immediate effect and look for a new job.[/quote]

Opens the DOR for Ford then :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It staggers me that TF gets such a rough deal on this forum. It staggers me even more that Farrell Jr is in the squad - if his dad wasn't a coach, would TF be fighting for a place with Freddie Burns instead? I think so.

Maybe Farrell JR has now sufficiently blotted his copybook by arguing about the decision to kick for 3 points, thereby taking up valuable, irreplaceable time with only 180 seconds to go? If instead he had got on with it, a very dodgy decision might have seemed less so.

Robshaw's biggest fault as captain was to listen to Farrell Jr rather than telling him to do what he was told, but also to then ask the ref if he could change his decision. Hardly leadership.

On the assumption that Robshaw does not get a brain transplant before the weekend, who could replace him to allow Woods to be given the captaincy?
Valhalla I am coming!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Johnson or Haskell until Croft is fit and move Wood to 7. Won't happen though because every coach has his adopted son and in Slancasters case it seems to be Robshaw. Also Farrell will remain otherwise his dad will get upset. Time to drop Barrit, offers almost no attacking threat and is just a SA version of Jamie Noone.

Anyway whatever anyone thinks, then barring injuries it will be same next week except Flood who we know is already out. :smt013
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Anyone who's ever played any form of sport (rugby, cricket, golf etc) knows that you can perform like a metronome for months on end and then one day you can't hit a cow's a**e with a banjo.

That's all that happened to Flood. He didn't become a bad kicker overnight.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Flood is still England's best 10 - the well is not deep! My Glaws-supporting pal reckons that Burns need the safety net of 12T's presence and HRH's rugby brain most of the time, and he can be a Cipriani-standard nit sometimes. Ford is definitely not ready.

SL is securely leading us up a gum tree, as voiced by many on his appointment. Sure Mallett/Kirwan may not have been better, but I doubt whether they'd be worse, and they certainly would have a proper 7 in place as well as a proper 12 and definitely no Farrell, Jnr. With SH coaches, generally, form is all.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

What are the odds of an SOS to St. Jonny of Toulon to take on the Blacks next week. :smt018
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MJ Chairman wrote:What are the odds of an SOS to St. Jonny of Toulon to take on the Blacks next week. :smt018
St Jonny over the Fazz head every time :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

jgriffin wrote:Flood is still England's best 10 - the well is not deep! My Glaws-supporting pal reckons that Burns need the safety net of 12T's presence and HRH's rugby brain most of the time, and he can be a Cipriani-standard nit sometimes. Ford is definitely not ready.

SL is securely leading us up a gum tree, as voiced by many on his appointment. Sure Mallett/Kirwan may not have been better, but I doubt whether they'd be worse, and they certainly would have a proper 7 in place as well as a proper 12 and definitely no Farrell, Jnr. With SH coaches, generally, form is all.
The problem is you have just explained yourself why Farrell (Jnr) needs to be on the bench. There is no one else ready yet to take over the back-up 10 slot.

Not sure I agree about the 7 issue but there we go!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Cardiff Tig you cannot possibly believe Farrell Jr is next best to TF! Can you?
Valhalla I am coming!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

At the moment I actually think he is, but its pretty close!

Burns is probably pushing him close but when exactly have Gloucester had any big game experience in the last few years to judge him on? It may well be the case that if Burns was given a chance then he'll cope, but at least Farrell showed he had the temperament to kick under pressure etc before he was picked for England. I appreciate that he's about as creative as a door when it comes to attack though! He reminds me of O'Gara, he'll put you in the right positions of the field and kick goals but thats about all he's got.

Have you got any other options rather than Farrell though? Burns may well shine but I still think he needs a bit more that a 3rd of a season in the form he's showing now before being picked against the big 3 teams.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Given that we lost against Australia and South Africa what on earth can we loose by picking an inexperienced back up fly half against another side who will beat us if the "Steady" Farrell gets picked?
Oh that's it - we loose?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Very true, but that's in hindsight. We could have easily beaten Australia, if we had kicked the goals, something Farrell does very well. We might have beaten SA if we had regained the restart or let it go out on the full which it seemed likely to do. Its all well and good saying now we should have picked someone else but we ended up in two situations where a steady goal kicker could have actually won us both games if England had been a bit more streetwise.

If Burns keeps up his form over the new year then I definitely think he should be picked ahead of Farrell. You have to remember that it was only due to injuries that Burns was anywhere near the squad in the first place, he can only be put in the Elite squad permanently in January.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

St Johnny? Same chance as Armitage at 7 in a H2H with McCaw.

Interesting observation that all the England back row are bigger than the ABs. It's an illustration of the vital bit of rugby, the 6" between the ears that matters, not height and weight.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95