Reflects current "bling" society!
Valhalla I am coming!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: England in purple?

Post by sapajo »

Latecomer wrote:Is nothing sacred!
Not new as England wore purple against Australia a few years back now at Twickenham :smt001
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
thetigress

Post by thetigress »

I thought it looked ok, very regal in a Jubilee year.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Isn't this colour called "maroon" ? As in Arsenal leaving Higbury a few years ago? :smt017
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
kpb01

Post by kpb01 »

Marooned
tr.v. ma·rooned, ma·roon·ing, ma·roons
1. To put ashore on a deserted island or coast and intentionally abandon.
2. To abandon or isolate with little hope of ready rescue

Yes it was maroon alright.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I listened to the match on the radio so was unaware of the joke purple strip. Just emailed the RFU to say that imho the home of English rugby should be about English shirts not joke ones, and that to desribe anything as regal surely has to have some evidence of royal performance.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Isn't this colour called "maroon" ? As in Arsenal leaving Higbury a few years ago? :smt017
Quite. And Arsenal soon realised their mistake and went back to Garibaldi Red.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Kinoulton wrote: Quite. And Arsenal soon realised their mistake and went back to Garibaldi Red.
Arsenal wore that kit in their final year at Highbury because it was the colour of the kit they first wore at Highbury.

That's called symbolism/tradition.

I don't know what you'd call England's kit.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Was similarly disgusted by the purple, as well as various other efforts from the RFU lately, so sent the following email(though am not so naive as to expect a response).

As a rugby fan, I'm increasingly concerned by the priorities and direction of travel of the RFU. In particular:

1. Marketing obsession leading to lack of respect for tradition. Brian Moore's article today is spot on. It is disgusting that England played at Twickenham in a hideous ('regal'?!!!) purple strip for no other reason than to attempt to extort some more cash from (probably not as gullible as you hope) fans and parents at Christmas.

2. Focus on RFU edifice and Twickenham over grass roots. I'm disgusted to learn that the RFU consider it more appropriate to spend £76m on an utterly unnecessary revamp of Twickenham (it's full for games, it works) before RWC2015 rather than invest it elsewhere in the game where it could surely provide much greater benefits.

3. Choice of RWC2015 grounds. This is an optimistic and ridiculous decision with no regard for heritage, and with very significant embarrassment potential. If you want to use 60,000+ seater football grounds in the North, then you needed to drop the Twickenham obsession and start playing Autumn inernationals up there a couple of years ago to build interest. The RWC is not the Olympics, as the tournament is likely to turn up in England every 15 years or so, consequently it's difficult to promote it in the same way and there appears to be a very severe risk of empty grounds. Also, the failure to use and invest in rugby club facilities is a massive slap in the face for clubs who actually invest in the game week in week out, and engage with their local communities. How far would £76m go to help re-develop some of the club grounds? To say nothing of the ridiculous situation where you will be unable to confirm venues until much later in the hosting process than is appropriate due to the unsurprising primacy of football fixtures at football venues.

4. Obsession with corporate hospitality and huge ticket prices driving families out of Twickenham. This is fair enough if your sole aim is to maximise matchday revenue at Twickenham, and I guess that the refurbishment will be designed to further cater for the corporate cash at the expense of less financially worthy fans. It’s just a shame that it does nothing to build support or allow young fans to come to Twickenham. Again, you're leaving it to the clubs to do all the work.

Anyway, good luck with it all - my only regret is that as a paying member and season ticket holder of a Premiership club some of my money has to end up being paid to the RFU. At least I'm not obliged to increase that amount by paying to watch vastly overblown and overpriced international rugby occasions (let's be honest - you have to market it as an occasion, as the quality of rugby rarely means the match can justify the admission charge) beset with corporate rugby ignoramuses who rarely attend a club rugby game wandering around during the game in search of beer in your temple to commerce and marketing.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Well said. I emailed them too. Let's all do it. You should get a bland reply.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Jose wrote:Was similarly disgusted by the purple, as well as various other efforts from the RFU lately, so sent the following email(though am not so naive as to expect a response).

As a rugby fan, I'm increasingly concerned by the priorities and direction of travel of the RFU. In particular:

1. Marketing obsession leading to lack of respect for tradition. Brian Moore's article today is spot on. It is disgusting that England played at Twickenham in a hideous ('regal'?!!!) purple strip for no other reason than to attempt to extort some more cash from (probably not as gullible as you hope) fans and parents at Christmas.

2. Focus on RFU edifice and Twickenham over grass roots. I'm disgusted to learn that the RFU consider it more appropriate to spend £76m on an utterly unnecessary revamp of Twickenham (it's full for games, it works) before RWC2015 rather than invest it elsewhere in the game where it could surely provide much greater benefits.

3. Choice of RWC2015 grounds. This is an optimistic and ridiculous decision with no regard for heritage, and with very significant embarrassment potential. If you want to use 60,000+ seater football grounds in the North, then you needed to drop the Twickenham obsession and start playing Autumn inernationals up there a couple of years ago to build interest. The RWC is not the Olympics, as the tournament is likely to turn up in England every 15 years or so, consequently it's difficult to promote it in the same way and there appears to be a very severe risk of empty grounds. Also, the failure to use and invest in rugby club facilities is a massive slap in the face for clubs who actually invest in the game week in week out, and engage with their local communities. How far would £76m go to help re-develop some of the club grounds? To say nothing of the ridiculous situation where you will be unable to confirm venues until much later in the hosting process than is appropriate due to the unsurprising primacy of football fixtures at football venues.

4. Obsession with corporate hospitality and huge ticket prices driving families out of Twickenham. This is fair enough if your sole aim is to maximise matchday revenue at Twickenham, and I guess that the refurbishment will be designed to further cater for the corporate cash at the expense of less financially worthy fans. It’s just a shame that it does nothing to build support or allow young fans to come to Twickenham. Again, you're leaving it to the clubs to do all the work.

Anyway, good luck with it all - my only regret is that as a paying member and season ticket holder of a Premiership club some of my money has to end up being paid to the RFU. At least I'm not obliged to increase that amount by paying to watch vastly overblown and overpriced international rugby occasions (let's be honest - you have to market it as an occasion, as the quality of rugby rarely means the match can justify the admission charge) beset with corporate rugby ignoramuses who rarely attend a club rugby game wandering around during the game in search of beer in your temple to commerce and marketing.
YES!!! Brilliant email! Guaranteed to never receive a reply, but brilliant all the same!!!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Jose wrote:3. Choice of RWC2015 grounds. This is an optimistic and ridiculous decision with no regard for heritage, and with very significant embarrassment potential. If you want to use 60,000+ seater football grounds in the North, then you needed to drop the Twickenham obsession and start playing Autumn inernationals up there a couple of years ago to build interest. The RWC is not the Olympics, as the tournament is likely to turn up in England every 15 years or so, consequently it's difficult to promote it in the same way and there appears to be a very severe risk of empty grounds. Also, the failure to use and invest in rugby club facilities is a massive slap in the face for clubs who actually invest in the game week in week out, and engage with their local communities. How far would £76m go to help re-develop some of the club grounds? To say nothing of the ridiculous situation where you will be unable to confirm venues until much later in the hosting process than is appropriate due to the unsurprising primacy of football fixtures at football venues.
If they played more Internationals away from Twickenham they would have hire the other stadia, and therefore make less money to be able to put back into grassroots rugby. Twickenham is effectively free of charge for the RFU to use on matchday. A stadium in the north would not be anywhere near free of charge.
The RFU would also likely need to compensate the debenture holders (or risk losing the debenture revenue when the seats next come up for renewal if they holders couldn't guarantee their seats for all home internationals. Again this would impact the money available for grass roots.
Attendances for home Internationals away from Twickenham would also be likely to be lower than they are at present.

Why should the RFU "invest in club rugby facilities"? The professional clubs are all separate, independent companies. It is not the job of the governing body to financially support individual businesses it oversees. It doesn't happen in other industries so why should it happen in rugby union?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Dave Angel, the RFU should invest because with no proper age / local / regional / national and professional teams, there are no jobs for the OFs. And no squillions to spend on themselves. If only for self preservation and their own self interest, they need to invest in the game's infrastructure and clubs.
Valhalla I am coming!