Electing police and crime commissioners

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Eon

Re: Electing police and crime commissioners

Post by Eon »

I wrote 'Post to be kept vacant' on my slip.

Democratically no elections which have a less than 50% turn out should be allowed to stand.

and I too am fed up with voting for politicians to represent parties. I want someone to represent me.

End of rant, except
no WR, no WC
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

We have political representatives, a tv presenter, and some other independents. One dropped out because it was discovered he had connections to an American organisation which advocated private police forces, another independant who had no idea about the limitations of the job (most of what he advocated required an Act of Parliament, but was populist), one who seemed to believe he could influence the sentences handed down in court, and so on.

God help us.
Valhalla I am coming!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

BJ. wrote:I've just been and put my cross in the box and yet again the state will be able to find out who I voted for.

How? Quite simple. I showed my poll card to one of the women at the polling station, she confirmed my name and address and told her colleague my electoral roll number. The second woman then wrote this against a unique serial number which was also on the back of the ballot paper I used to vote. Therefore, any ballot paper can be traced back to the person who used it.
I decided to contact the Electoral Commission and this was the reply I received.

Elector numbers are written against the number of ballot paper issued to a voter on the corresponding number list. This system dates from the Ballot Act 1872, which was introduced to avoid the possibility of counterfeit ballot papers being used, and to assist in detecting alleged fraud. If the ballot papers are numbered it's far more difficult for an unscrupulous person to introduce copies of the ballot paper into the ballot box. If a fraudulent act occurs, it would be possible to detect the offence by reference to the corresponding number list.

There is a safeguard to prevent the ballot paper numbers on the corresponding list being linked with the marked ballot paper. At the close of poll, the corresponding number list is placed in a sealed envelope by the presiding officer at the polling station. The sealed envelope is then taken to the returning officer. The only occasion that these can be opened is on the order of a judge as a result of an election petition or in furtherance of an investigation in to an alleged electoral offence. Even then it is very rare for the list to be examined except in cases where fraud or personation (voting illegally on someone else's behalf) are being investigated. Because of the safeguards it's virtually impossible for any person to be in a position to marry up the voter to a particular ballot paper.

Now if only the woman at the polling station had told me this yesterday.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

BJ

The reply you received is the technically correct one. However, the names and addresses of voters who put a cross against Communist Party candidates and other extremist parties were routinely extracted and passed to the security services at least until the 1970's.

In the election yesterday I spoiled my ballot
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

I felt obliged to vote (as its our democratic right & all that).

Turnout in Leic was only 16%, so not many others agreed with me !

So, the conservative candidate won with less than 8% of the electorate choosing him (as first choice - out of 3).

And - rightly or wrongly - the political element of the vote was hugely influential : half the City vote went to the labour candidate, but she polled less than a quarter of the county vote (which directly reflects local & national govt elections of recent years).

£100m seems a lot for something that 85% of the nation don't give a damn about ... ?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I did note vote, neither did my husband.

One of our friends did, he said only to try and prevent the Labour applicant getting in because he disagreed so strongly when he heard her on local radio.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

There should be a better turn out next time once the present incumbents have upset people! Everybody used to know who was the equivalent back in the 'good old days' when every town had its Watch Committee, but the move to centralization and faceless Police Authorities meant that we need some accountability.

I do believe, however, that explicit Party Political allegiances should be banned and no signed up member of a political party be allowed to stand. Nobody pretends that the candidates don't have political beliefs but there is a huge difference between a labour/conservative/liberal/monster raving loony party sympathiser being the PCC, and having the local police 'controlled' by a political party.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I would like to know that kids won't riot in the park, I won't get beaten up on the way home, no women will be assaulted and so on.

Do I have to vote for this?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I did not vote!

I am in the majority!

Seems to me a randomly appointed (political) Police Commissioner is slightly less worse than an obviously political Police Authority.
Still keeping the faith!