Jordan Crane

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Jordan Crane

Post by Southernsoftie »

Cardiff Tig wrote:I think Crane had a good game today, as good as Waldrom at least. He didn't always go to ground, there were a couple of offloads by him - one of which would have sent Parling through had Parling not over-ran it slightly so the pass was slightly forward. He tackled very well and cleared out well, better than Waldrom did. He's never going to set the world alight in the opposition 22 like Waldrom can but Crane is much more effective when Tigers are in their own 22. To say he doesn't make yards is just blatant bias against him.

I don't see why posters try and compare the two players - they have completly different strengths to add to a game. And with out a decent 7 (wasn't that impressed with Thorpe in the Sale game myself) I have no problem with picking Waldrom at 7. To be fair up until this afternoons game it was Mafi who I thought was the weakest pick of the back row, don't think he has showed any of last seasons form until today.
Just to be clear I have no axe to grind with JC. He has been an awesome player for the club and prior to his knee injury he was a mightily effective player. The reason I say he doesn't make yards carrying is because when I watch him carry the ball he doesn't make yards. I don't think I am biased against him but honestly, I don't think he is an effective ball carrier, certainly not as good as Waldrom.

Further, I am not saying he doesn't do other things, many of which are pretty much unseen to most fans including myself, the clearouts, the tackles, the effort applied in the maul, better than Waldrom.

The reason for all this debate is 1. His current selection at 8 in front of Waldrom which inevitably leads to comparisons. 2. The current imbalance of the back row which I suspect even RC would concede is sub-optimal in Salvi's (and Newby and Woods) absence.

I want my blind side to do the dirty work, unseen and largely unappreciated. My 7 to hunt the ball down, create turnovers and make tackles in wider channels. I want my 8 to be a dynamic ball carrier with good handling skills to link with the 9. One of them, at least, must be a lineout option.

My opinion, for whatever it is worth (not much probably) is that a back row of Mafi/Thorpe/Waldrom gives us better balance, more pace, better ball winning skills, hence a more rounded skill set than Mafi/Waldrom/Crane.
redrugertiger
Tiger Cub

Post by redrugertiger »

BUT....
Crane did a lot of the unseen dirty work last weekend, Have a look at the stats... who was first to most breakdowns tackles 2nd tackler, and carries. However i do feel the backrow is missing a spark, after watch Clermont, Ulster, Leinster, Munster Quins and Toulon at the w/e they all had one player6,7 or 8, who took the game by the horns. Interesting to see if some of the A player will be bled in the coming week(s), Young Irish back-row Noone, needs some game time, and Tait needs to pushed along!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Couple of good comments there, for my own part I wonder if the coaches are trying to get Crane back up to full speed with top players around him before we lose players to the England squads again.It could be seen as poor planning if Waldrom stayed at 8 then vanishes to the AI's and we bring in Crane with no match time at all and expect him to hit the ground running,just a thought.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

And also its about having your best players on the park.

Clearly, the panic buying of back row players this summer has not given us any strength in depth at 7 currently, so we put our best 3 available back rowers out and make do.

These three didn't play to the norm of the number on their backs, as can be seen from Mafi spending the last 10 minutes of the match out on the left wing - & setting up two tries !

IThe combination didn't work against Toulouse, but it did better against Ospreys. When Salvi is fit he will come straight back into the team - then Cockers has a decision to make on Crane v Waldrom and hopefully he will have two fully fit players to choose from...
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

then Cockers has a decision to make on Crane v Waldrom and hopefully he will have two fully fit players to choose from...
I think it will be good to have some depth and hopefully in the new year Tigers might have the opportunity to make some big calls in certain matches. It will be good to see Salvi, Thorpe, Croft, Mafi, Crane, Waldrom all available at the same time.
Cheery chappy
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

Big games we need are best players on the park. For me the situation we are currently in is not ideal, but Crane is getting valuable game time. Crane is a warrior in defence.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Best not select him when we play Wus then.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

Someone tell me one thing that Jordan Crane is better at than Waldrom at number 8
Come on you tigers!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Errrrr
champanzie wrote:Someone tell me one thing that Jordan Crane is better at than Waldrom at number 8
Errr,,,,,,

No
Still keeping the faith!
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

champanzie wrote:Someone tell me one thing that Jordan Crane is better at than Waldrom at number 8
Chasing our restart to overshoot and flail around aimlessly not even competing for the ball after Ospreys try, he's better at that than TTE!