RWC 2015 venues.. no welford road??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Re: RWC 2015 venues.. no welford road??

Post by Dave Angel »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:The explanation is complete rubbish as the club have designs and permission to renovate the ground which could easily accommodate the small change in pitch dimensions required.

These plans were made with the World Cup in mind. The whole thing is just an excuse by the RFU to get back at some of the clubs who are not pandering to them therefore the MP is quite right to raise his concerns as they represent the concerns of a large number of constituents. Also this decision puts the development in doubt which will mean less jobs in the area for people working on the renovation and the potential loss of facilities that would benefit the city.
The club may well have the designs that would allow for a big enough pitch but they haven't done anything (since the CAT stand) towards making those designs a reality!

If the RFU included WR on the long lis, that still wouldn't force the directors to do anything more to WR.

If the RFU added WR to the long list on the condition that the club completed the redevelopment of WR I doubt that the club would accept it as they probably don't want to spend all of the money doing everything in such a short space of time.

Without full redevelopment of (at least) the Crumbie & the clubhouse end, the pitch dimensions still won't be big enough for the RWC.

This is NOT the RFU trying to get back at specific clubs as if it was surely Gloucester would have been off the list too? Afterall Gloucester are hardly the biggest fans of the RFU either are they?

It is a case of simple logistics: WR is not currently suitable. Other stadiums are.

The MP getting involved is just a case of him trying to win popular support by raising a nice little vote-winner in Parliament when he really couldn't give a toss & probably hasn't even watched a rugby match at WR in his life. It isn't as if Leicester has been cut from the longlist completely. There is still a perfectly good stadium on the list in his constituency so there isn't really a need for him to get his knickers in a twist. If WR were added, King Power would probably be dropped, thus potentially depriving thousands of his constituents the chance to watch a rugby international in Leicester due to the smaller capacity...but I don't see him championing that notion. I wouldn't be surprised if the Merc even had a picture of said MP standing outside WR looking sad/annoyed the story of him raising it with Parliament. That's usually the stock image format for these kinds of cheap publicity stunts MPs that seem to love being involved in.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Dave Angel wrote: If the RFU included WR on the long list, that still wouldn't force the directors to do anything more to WR.

If the RFU added WR to the long list on the condition that the club completed the redevelopment of WR I doubt that the club would accept it as they probably don't want to spend all of the money doing everything in such a short space of time.
1. Yes it would, it would force the board into making a quite clear decision: renovate to make it appropriate by RFU standards, or face being ignored for the short-list.

2. Why wouldn't they? Seeing as they already have planning permission for a renovation then "to spend all the money...in such a short space of time" would seem a damn good idea, as it would mean they'd get the revenue from the world cup, unless you are privy to some info about the board and their willingness to spend...?

It seemed as though the RFU, when consulting with grounds, talked about plans that clubs were currently undertaking, rather than asking "If your ground were placed on the long-list, what developments would you be looking to make..." Although I don't see this as a vendetta against clubs, it is a clear indication of the priorities of the RFU: impress the IRB and get money. They seem to have totally ignored that word we heard soooo many times during the Olympics: the "LEGACY"...
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

As previously documented I shall not be attending any WC 2015 matches.

I wish the RFU well in attracting soccer fans to soccer stadiums to watch Rogby. Particularly when the minnows play. Would I go to WR to warch a minnows game - probably; will I go to King Power Stadium - certainly not - not even to watch NZ play Australia.

IMHO the £300M profit is a pipe dream that even my Meerschum cannot rise to.

Are heads and balls on the block? They should be.
Still keeping the faith!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Bill W (2) wrote:will I go to King Power Stadium - certainly not - not even to watch NZ play Australia.
Really? Based on principle? Or on the expectation of ticket price of such a match? Or...?

I've been to the football ground only once before, and though I didn't like it as much as I do WR, nor the result (Bath, Heineken Cup I think) I can't remember anything that was so repulsive I would choose to miss such a big game on my doorstep. So what did I miss?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

youngtiger wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:will I go to King Power Stadium - certainly not - not even to watch NZ play Australia.
Really? Based on principle? Or on the expectation of ticket price of such a match? Or...?

I've been to the football ground only once before, and though I didn't like it as much as I do WR, nor the result (Bath, Heineken Cup I think) I can't remember anything that was so repulsive I would choose to miss such a big game on my doorstep. So what did I miss?
Price would not be the issue. Principle would be,

:smt027
Still keeping the faith!
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

youngtiger wrote:2. Why wouldn't they? Seeing as they already have planning permission for a renovation then "to spend all the money...in such a short space of time" would seem a damn good idea, as it would mean they'd get the revenue from the world cup, unless you are privy to some info about the board and their willingness to spend...?

I'm not quite sure what kind of revenue the club would expect to make from the RWC but, as the revenue from ticket sales goes to the RFU/England2015, the only money Tigers would make would be from the basic hire of the stadium for one (or maybe two) matches.

I doubt that potential revenue would really be enough to encourage the directors to press the button on the whole of the remainder of the ground redevelopment at a time of such economic uncertainty.

So no, I'm not privy to any private info on the opinions of the directors. I'm just using common sense.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dave Angel wrote:
youngtiger wrote:2. Why wouldn't they? Seeing as they already have planning permission for a renovation then "to spend all the money...in such a short space of time" would seem a damn good idea, as it would mean they'd get the revenue from the world cup, unless you are privy to some info about the board and their willingness to spend...?

I'm not quite sure what kind of revenue the club would expect to make from the RWC but, as the revenue from ticket sales goes to the RFU/England2015, the only money Tigers would make would be from the basic hire of the stadium for one (or maybe two) matches.

I doubt that potential revenue would really be enough to encourage the directors to press the button on the whole of the remainder of the ground redevelopment at a time of such economic uncertainty.

So no, I'm not privy to any private info on the opinions of the directors. I'm just using common sense.
Sounds right to me. My concern is that the WC is in the hands of those with no great track record - but the Olympics showed that indifferent leadershipand a good team can work miracles. Putting the Ladies WC on at the same time would've been a masterstroke, though.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

As we all know, TV and the sponsorship deals it attracts is very important.

Therefore empty grounds are terrible because it makes the match a farce.

Remember the cricket world cup in the West Indies? The most vibrant cricket loving country in the World, yet important games were being played out in front of 2 Kiwi tourists and a stray dog.

OK, play the final at Twickenham packed with the prawn sandwich brigade and rugby club hangers-on. But play the group games in packed rugby club grounds that suit the size of the audience.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:As we all know, TV and the sponsorship deals it attracts is very important.

Therefore empty grounds are terrible because it makes the match a farce.

Remember the cricket world cup in the West Indies? The most vibrant cricket loving country in the World, yet important games were being played out in front of 2 Kiwi tourists and a stray dog.

OK, play the final at Twickenham packed with the prawn sandwich brigade and rugby club hangers-on. But play the group games in packed rugby club grounds that suit the size of the audience.
Hi Kinny!

Your comments are far too sensible. RFU has undertaken to get 2.9M bums on seats.

Mine will not be one of those bums!

Mayve they will do a Sarries "rent a bum"!!

:smt016
Still keeping the faith!
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

youngtiger wrote:

In my formative years, I used to go to watch Leicester City as well as Leicester Tigers. Whilst some of the crowd behaviour that you get at Football grounds was never my cup of tea, the atmosphere as Filbert Street was very good and akin to the one at Welford Road on big matches. The atmosphere at the Walkers Stadium regardless of who is playing is like being at a training ground. The facilities are poor, there are no bars, just corridors under the stands with kiosks and the heating consists of portable electric heaters attached to pillars. The corporate area is extremely underwhelming too.

The current facilities and atmosphere at Welford Road are superior.

The pitch dimensions argument is completely illogical as the Welford Raod pitch does not contravene the laws of the game. Specifying a minimum pitch size for the World Cup is not within the laws of the game and may actually contravene them. There is no reason why they cannot make an exception on this, it will not disadvantage teams. If a team needs an extra 0.5 metres at the side of the pitch to score a try or needs an extra five metres to stop a try then they are not good enough to win the World Cup.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.