England still can't play spin!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

England still can't play spin!

Post by fleabane »

England v India 20/20. Oh dear! Pace, direction, length, flight, trajectory and turn all too much. Not even an uneven bounce to blame!

I started typing this as the 4th wicket fell and finished it at 51 for 5.

Now 60 for 7.

"I've never seen anyone play spin like this in my life." S. Ganguly

Now 60 for 8 in 11.4 overs.

Looking forward to the Tests in November!
Valhalla I am coming!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England still can't play spin!

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

It is very odd that England have this inability. You'd think having 2/3 competent spinners (including one of the best) in the squad would mean batsmen would be drilled on watching what the bowler is doing- spin is difficult to play, but it's hardly a mystery!

Broad's burying of his head in the sand, reminiscent of Borthwick during his captaincy, isn't helpful either.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I have to admit that when I play spin I am like one of those snakes being charmed by a flute. useless I am. It's the work of the devil.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The one thing I miss, having stopped playing, is the bemused look on a batters face when they are heading back for an early cuppa, wondering what happened :smt004

KP back in the squad for India should help.

To address S and M's point: the pitches and conditions are so different in the sub-continent, and so technique has to adapt. Batters have to be more disciplined because it is harder to force the pace, and the temptation to play unconventional shots has to be resisted if long innings are to be built. (Our spinners also have to adapt their play too!).
Valhalla I am coming!
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

fleabane wrote: Batters have to be more disciplined because it is harder to force the pace, and the temptation to play unconventional shots has to be resisted if long innings are to be built. (Our spinners also have to adapt their play too!).
Good point fleabane but in KP we do not have a batsman who could play for a day against top quality spin. Against pace, yes he can do it but as with so many England players there isn't anyone who can do it. Look what happened against Ajmal and Rehman last winter... we failed miserably.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Pace bowlers can lob their balls down and test your hand - eye coordination and hope they land a wicked bounce. But spin bowlers are witches.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!