Team v Toulouse (A) looks ok except at 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team v Toulouse (A) looks ok except at 7

Post by PM76 »

Disappointing result and performance especially after a pretty good first 35 minutes. The game did hinge of the YBY decision and that was the first scrum that didn't go well for Tigers. Hopefully Smurph coming back next week will sort the leadership out.

Things won't change for next week, under Cockers and MOC this has consitently been the norm. The game plan and team are good enough to come in the top 4 and have a shot of being a best-runner up, we just have to hope that it is too much for the Ospreys next week, loose that and it will be over, let them have an LBP and it may well be over too. The side will play the same way and at the same pace whatever, it was too good for Exeter, Sale etc. but vs Quins and Toulouse it isn't. As I said after the Quins game the board need to decide if this is good enough, for some on here it is, for others it isn't. I'm not quite sure yet but I think this season will be the making, or the end, of Cockerill as our DOR.

20 points is normally enough for a best runner up spot, so a TBP next week is really required, unless we can win in Ospreylia, which on this is unlikely. What we would get out of a another defeat vs. Leinster/ Ulster etc. is up for debate though!!

Having Salvi, Deacon, Murphy etc. back will improve the side, but will they improve it enough is the question? My one hope is that Bowden gets a shot at 12 next week (if fit) he is a player who will give us an extra threat, but I predict the only changes in the side will be at prop!!

The only two positives were seeing Marcos back in a Leicester shirt and doing ok and Hamilton who looked more like himself.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

sapajo wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:Scrum was fine with Castro and Ayerza. Won a few penalties to hold a glimmer of hope of a LBP.
What glimmer must have been watching a different match? :smt043
Well we were a converted try from a point, so yes, there was a glimmer.
cwhelan

Post by cwhelan »

Toothless show. I don't see us as a bad side but we are light years away from being a really top class side that so many of us remember,from not too long ago. Quins have moved the game on.
We used to put fear into other teams - not any more. Although I don't think RC is good enough at the very top level,it is too easy to blame him - I think the philosophy problem is from those above him.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Toulouse strolled it, a different class! Good job the conditions were poor or it could have been worse. Too many flat track bullies in green IMHO!
Cheery chappy
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Why oh why can't we raise our game??
All the pr in the world has to be translated to performance on the pitch, no matter where the pitch is.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It is easy in hindsite to say that BY was wrong to try a tap and go in that
position and at that time but if he had got through to the try line and scored
under the posts we would have had the lead. He would be the hero.
This is an aspect of his game that is so exciting and which has often proved successful.
A calculated decision from a great player. I for one hope he doesn't ever loose
that sparkle to his play.
I can still see the move he made from inside his own dead ball area which produced
such a memorable try for England against Australia. Please.don't coach that out of him.
There are enough automatons in English rugby.

The problem for Tigers was the lack of leadership and togetherness on the field and
poor selection followed by poor and untimely substitutions.
How many times do we have to say it?
Despite the injury situation, the right players should have been in their best
positions.
As for the captaincy? We have clearly missed Geordan but Crane proved himself
a poor captain already this season.
What is wrong with you Cockers? Won't you ever learn?
A life long Tiger
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Just out of interest, is it only me that thinks both B Youngs and Doussain should have been removed after there collisions. The Doussain one was less clear but to me it looked like he took a blow to the head in stopping Flood scoring and B Youngs took a clear knee to the side of the head. Thankfully neither turned out to be seriously injured but it is about time we stopped taking risks with player welfare when it comes down to head injuries.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Tigers are all talk and no action. They were saying this week how they need to start winning in France but as always they Talk the Talk but don't Walk the Walk.I for one am getting sick of Cockerills selection policies and changing players with bleeding 5 minutes left when the game is lost,what is the point? That is the one question that only Mr Cockerill can answer.

Toulouse just like Harlequins gave a masterclass in the offloading game, all Tigers can do is just plod,plod,plod. :smt013
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

Dire. A lot of huff and puff but little quality. Flood just doesn't do it for me and Cockers doesn't seem able to change the pattern of a game. We were well beaten.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes same old Tigers, same old stupid penalties, same old poor kicking & passing game, same old sub the props after 60 and backs after 75 and hence same old result against a top team.

Just not enough grey matter in evidence in the Tigers camp and once again we are now scrapping for second place.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It was only the first game of the HC competition but already I am depressed at
our lack of progress and poor second rate performance.
In the past we have overcome the odd defeat and pulled off an exceptional win
away, as we did against Munster that time.
The trouble is,currently we don't look like anything more than an average club side.
Worse, there seems little hope for a remedy to the situation.

Frankly, anything less than a massive five point win against next weeks opposition and the season is gone.
If the board don't chop the coaches then, they are not the people I have long taken them to be.
A life long Tiger
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Its like Groundhog Day.

Wrong selection, wrong tactics, poor use of the bench, unwilling to see what is wrong.

Yet again we look cluless when the forwrds aren't crushing the opposition, our back play is dreadful.

Why BY wasn't taken off after that head knock was shocking, it might explain why so many of our squad are injured if that is the attitude that the Doctors/Physios have.

The only possitives were Hamilton & Manu when he got the ball.

A beyond poor performance, another against Ospreys & Saints & the board have to act as its the same faults every time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Soggypitch wrote:Manu should have been standing at 12 today
Agreed, but this is where a plan B needs bringing in. Manu made progress every time, or at least sucked in a few players to stop him, so get him closer in those conditions.

I know T Youngs has been given some stick for the pens he gave away, but on another day with a different ref, they (amongst others) wouldn't have been given.