Team v Toulouse (A) looks ok except at 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jumbo

Team v Toulouse (A) looks ok except at 7

Post by Jumbo »

Leicester Tigers (vs Toulouse, Heineken Cup, Sunday 4pm local time, 3pm UK time)
15 Scott Hamilton
14 Niall Morris
13 Manusamoa Tuilagi
12 Anthony Allen
11 Vereniki Goneva
10 Toby Flood
9 Ben Youngs
1 Logovi'i Mulipola
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole
4 Graham Kitchener
5 Geoff Parling
6 Steve Mafi
7 Thomas Waldrom
8 Jordan Crane (c)

Replacements
16 George Chuter
17 Marcos Ayerza
18 Martin Castrogiovanni
19 Ed Slater
20 Richard Thorpe
21 Sam Harrison
22 George Ford
23 Matt Smith
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: Team looks ok except at 7

Post by kingol22 »

Looks like a good team except the back row. THey are all quality players but there is no balance there at all, Thorpe at 7 and Waldrom at 8 would of given more balance to the backrow but i can understand Cockers wanting both Waldrom and Crane on the pitch to provide go forward. If we can stay with them in the forwards and give Youngs some quick ball then we have a real chance in this game but if we end up more than 1 score behind Toulose will close it out comfortably.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Where is this information from?
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

physiodan wrote:Where is this information from?
There's nothing on official website! :smt017
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Information is from the website
http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/15098.php
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Hull Fan wrote:
physiodan wrote:Where is this information from?
There's nothing on official website! :smt017
It's there now.
I wonder if Waldrom & Mafi will play left and right rather than open and blind as i suspect Waldrom will struggle for speed to play openside at this level.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I'm not so bothered about Waldrom at 7. He's good over the ball (as is Mafi, actually) and he's one of the best readers of the game around. Also, he'll be freed up to play his more usual game by our other 7 on the pitch, Dan Cole!

It's Hamilton I'm not sure about; yes, he's a great player but Morris has been playing well at full-back. In addition, Smith has been playing too well not to start; I'd have Hamilton on the bench, Smith on the wing and Morris at full-back.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

and there team is:

15. Clément Poitrenaud, 14. Vincent Clerc, 13. Florian Fritz, 12. Gaël Fickou, 11. Yoann Huget, 10. Luke McAlister, 9. Jean-Marc Doussain, 1. Gurthro Steenkamp, 2. Gary Botha, 3. Census Johnston, 4. Romain Millo-Chluski, 5. Yoann Maestri, 6. Yannick Nyanga, 7. Thierry Dusautoir, 8. Louis Picamoles ,
16. Christopher Tolofua, 17. Jean-Baptiste Poux, 18. Antoine Guillamon, 19. Patricio Albacete, 20. Jean Bouilhou, 21. Yannick Jauzion, 22. Luke Burgess, 23. Timoci Matanavou,

It is worrying that we know most of the names.

Our back row will not be looking for turnovers.. just defense and mistakes from them
MJB

Post by MJB »

Not a bad side overall, but I'm surprised that Thompstone's not in the squad - a bit harsh after recent performances. Or has he fallen foul of the dreaded injury jinx?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Rain forecast for Sunday pm in Toulouse 16 degrees 20kmph wind...

Not awful, but better for us

I had expect 22 degrees, sunny and no wind ..
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

MJB wrote:Not a bad side overall, but I'm surprised that Thompstone's not in the squad - a bit harsh after recent performances. Or has he fallen foul of the dreaded injury jinx?
IMO this is not likely an injury decision, more a tactical one by Cockers - his preference has always been to have some 'utility' players like Smith on the bench, rather than 'potential game changers' like Thompstone (and Smith is in good form, too)....plus he likes having two FBs in the back three (Morris/Hamilton this time - & hopefully Smurph returning next week!)

Similarly, I'm not surprised at his backrow choice - get your best players on the field, then worry about where they play. Thorpe didn't really have enough impact in the last game to claim a starting berth, anyway....

Finally, its good to see Ayerza back - hopefully he can blow the cobwebs off quickly !
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Mulipola vs Jonhston (Epic Battle) Wonder whether Johnston jr has been on the phone with him. Cant wait for the forwards battle.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

physiodan wrote:Mulipola vs Jonhston (Epic Battle) Wonder whether Johnston jr has been on the phone with him. Cant wait for the forwards battle.
I agree with that. I'm not making the trip over but I think I'll be able to feel some of those collisions from back in Blighty.

Mouthwatering stuff!!
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I'm worried about how it will be reffed, a certain N Owens not renowned for having quiet games! Suspect we will be discussing his performance on Monday.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't know if Bowden is still injured but if he isn't it is a shame he is not playing. He worked really well with Flood the other week and looked dangerous in attack yet very solid in defence.

I might also have started Slater instead of Kitchner but Slater covers the backrow from the bench so I can understand that one.

Rest of the team makes good sense. Hamilton is not our best 15 but his composure and experience away in France will be vital. Thorpe didn't do enough the other week to warrant selection - rather Mafi and Waldrom on the flanks.