Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

RWA wrote:BJ...this really winds me up. I've played rugby and now coach at Under 14 level. I watch any rugby that I can, NZ rugby, English, Welsh, Irish, Aus etc...I love the game. I have a strong opinion on what I think the best side is for Tigers. It's not always the same as what Cockers puts out. He's at Oval Park and sees the players day in, day out. I don't. So given that he is a Level 4/5 coach, has played at the very highest level and knows every player far far better than I ever will, he is in the best position to pick a side. We don't have to agree with it but it is what it is ! If we lose or play badly, Cockers will come out and say it how it is and take responsibility for the defeat. Now let's get into them !!
I really dont understand posts like this on this forum. It is far too sensible. Surely if we have paid money to watch the Tigers we have the right to moan and whine at every decision made by the inept coaches at this club who have not achieved anything! Is Crane Cockers second love child after Matt Smith? :smt003 :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

smurphswillgetya wrote: Is Crane Cockers second love child after Matt Smith? :smt003 :smt003
Along with Anthony Allen, Scott Hamilton and George Chuter it looks like it.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Trailing by 7 at half time. Quins offloading in the tackle superbly, Tigers trying to bash their way through. Not much changes.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Lost 22-9. Looked very short of ideas in attack.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

OK lets get the heads rolling......devoid of imaginative play!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

You get what you got mostly for three seasons. Flashes of great play, hours of thought-free bosh. But then the nay-sayers will get trashed as last season!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We really need to find a way to break down the tough defences, or we won't win anything. We have everything but the knife edge. Tonight highlighted what we are missing.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Sorry Richard, You've been sussed out! Big time. Your one dimensional play book was taken apart by a quins side who were streets ahead in tactics and the will to win.

Lets just pick up the ball and thunder into the brick wall then line up and wait for them to do the same to us. WRONG! Their offloading game was superb today. It got behind us and put us on the back foot, Sheer speed into the tackle reaped rewards as the tigers demonstrated an archaic lethargy fitting for a side in times gone by.

............Let's see if this improves for next week. Some how I see us in mid table.
Last edited by Big Dai on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Thought Crane had a good game though. Nice to see him getting back to it.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Well played Quins, totally deserved their victory. Big Dai has a point, but I do wonder why we kept going for the line out in the second half, when points on the board are what we should have been going for. It wouldn't have altered the score line though, Quins were good value.
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

RWA wrote:Well played Quins, totally deserved their victory. Big Dai has a point, but I do wonder why we kept going for the line out in the second half, when points on the board are what we should have been going for. It wouldn't have altered the score line though, Quins were good value.
Shedhead 1 here:
How did AA play today?

Bob
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Big Dai wrote:Sorry Richard, You've been sussed out! Big time. Your one dimensional play book was taken apart by a quins side who were streets ahead in tactics and the will to win.

Lets just pick up the ball and thunder into the brick wall then line up and wait for them to do the same to us. WRONG! Their offloading game was superb today. It got behind us and put us on the back foot, Sheer speed into the tackle reaped rewards as the tigers demonstrated an archaic lethargy fitting for side in times gone by.

............Let's see if this improves for next week. Some how I see us in mid table.
Agree re the one dimensional plan, it looked like Cockers had sorted it out at the end of last year after the wins away at Saints and Quins, but the against the big sides for the past 2/3 years Tigers have failed. IMO the problem is the same as it was when we drew at home to Perpignan and lost away at Leinster, unless the front 5 are dominant, which they were at home against Ulster last season for example, we come unstuck due to a lack of final product and revert to bashing at the door, which will work Vs. Worcester but not Vs Quins or Toulouse.

Tigers clearly missed Manu, YBY, Deacon, Croft etc. but the problems are the same. I don't see us in mid-table, I imagine we'll probably make the prem semis and come second in the HC group, maybe sneaking through as a best runner up, it's up to the board to decide if that's good enough.

Things might change but every season I've been hopeful and it hasn't been the case yet.

Full credit to Quins though they deserved the win.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Major wake up call I think.

Youngs line-out work is simply not good enough at this level. Harrison is the third choice scrum-half and it tells. Both will undoubtedly improve and may well have great futures but at the moment they will cost Tigers points.

The backs look aimless again, without Manu to break tackles there is a distinct lack of invention.

At this level you need to take every point on offer, teams can't defend against goal kicks.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

You clearly haven't seen Toulouse this season. They look rubbish. Did we lose that or did Quins win it ? I think we didn't have any answer to their breakdown work, line speed and off loading. Flood kicking for the line out with 30 mins to go ? Why ? Take the points. Hat off to Harrison, some bad bits but got better as the game went on and made a couple of great breaks. Too many penalties given away for basic reasons, Cockers won't be happy. At least 3 world class players to come back, Youngs, Manu and Croft would have made a difference there for sure.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

No excuses. Not good enough. No reason why we should have been so bad.