Andy Farrell leaves Saffas for England???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pete
Super User
Super User

Re: Andy Farrell leaves Saffas for England???

Post by Pete »

Could Farrell go to Gloucester?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So Andy Farrell turns down an England coaching job saying about Saffacens: "We have made decent progress during this period but, in truth, as a club, we have barely scratched the surface of our potential. The job isn't anywhere near half done, and I have decided I want to help finish the job".

Then six weeks later he decides to quit Saffacens with a few to joining the England coaching set up. Do I detect a lack of integrity here?

As far as I'm concerned England would do better without him.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

G.K wrote:So Andy Farrell turns down an England coaching job saying about Saffacens: "We have made decent progress during this period but, in truth, as a club, we have barely scratched the surface of our potential. The job isn't anywhere near half done, and I have decided I want to help finish the job".

Then six weeks later he decides to quit Saffacens with a few to joining the England coaching set up. Do I detect a lack of integrity here?

As far as I'm concerned England would do better without him.
It could be something else changed at Saffers. Are they running out of Rand?

He is a good defence coach. He and Catt together (with Wig) could also be a "dream team" leaving Slancaster to talk with the Press and play politics with Randrew.
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I reckon Soggypitch has it about right - as new Head Coach at Tigers when MOC takes up his role with the Brumbies (which if you read the various Aussie sites seems to be regarded as a 'done-deal').
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

I'm with Sapajo on this one - he may not have been worried about Toby but has suddenly noticed Fazlet's real threat looming up on the horizon in the shape of YGF.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not entirely convinced that Farrell & Ford are really contesting the same position - Farrell's a centre who can play fly half. Ford is still some way down the line from an England point of view and very much a fly half - on the small size for a FH and way too small for centre.

The strange thing would be for Farrell to turn down England only to change his mind now. Is there a problem at Sarries - no league final upsetting the money men perhaps? Has he grown tired of others telling him how to do the job from afar? He didn't feel ready to take on England after the 6N so perhaps he's going somewhere to gain experience. I for one would welcome him here.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/974597 ... _Southend/

Maybe he hasn't got a bucket and spade,or doesn't like jellied eels?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

All sounds decidely fishy to me!

If I were a Sarries Season Ticket Holder I would not be amused.

"Our home games, for which you have a ticket, may be played at Watford, Southend, Kent, Hendon, Cape Town or Wembley!"

Why not Moscow?

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I'm with Sapajo on this one - he may not have been worried about Toby but has suddenly noticed Fazlet's real threat looming up on the horizon in the shape of YGF.
Parent plays politics to further childs sporting career, nothing new in this one.
I'm afraid it isn't what you know but who you know that matters in England and that is from the bottom to the very top.
This is why a country of 4 million New Zealanders can continue to embarrass England's population of 51 million in terms of quality rugby players.
The Welsh also managed to produce a better rugby team in 2012 (the table doesn't lie) from their 59,000 registered male players than England could manage from their 1,182,000 players.
Cheery chappy
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect the coaching manual used by the RFU may too be a factor.

"Receive ball, left leg 1 pace, right leg one pace, stop, wait for tackle, fall over. Ruck - pass ball back 10m to static FH."

Then we get to the options page "Kick to touch" or "Receive ball, left leg 1 pace, right leg one pace, stop, wait for tackle, fall over. Ruck - pass ball back 10m to static FH."

Too little emphasis on ball skills & awareness of space and too much on strength at a relatively young age.
There is no reason why a prop should not have the hand skills of a fly half - less pace & agility because they need to be stronger.
Why do so few players (backs included) have the ability to kick confidently?

Had John Eales been English do you think he would even been kicking for his club let alone country? Coaching manual says no.

School sports are dominated by the big kid must be better mentality. Yes they have greater physical strength but by the time they are 18 they will be the same size but the smaller skillful kid will have been lost to the sport & the big strong plodder is still a big strong plodder.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

mol2 wrote:I suspect the coaching manual used by the RFU may too be a factor.

"Receive ball, left leg 1 pace, right leg one pace, stop, wait for tackle, fall over. Ruck - pass ball back 10m to static FH."

Then we get to the options page "Kick to touch" or "Receive ball, left leg 1 pace, right leg one pace, stop, wait for tackle, fall over. Ruck - pass ball back 10m to static FH."

Too little emphasis on ball skills & awareness of space and too much on strength at a relatively young age.
There is no reason why a prop should not have the hand skills of a fly half - less pace & agility because they need to be stronger.

Had John Eales been English do you think he would even been kicking for his club let alone country? Coaching manual says no.

School sports are dominated by the big kid must be better mentality. Yes they have greater physical strength but by the time they are 18 they will be the same size but the smaller skillful kid will have been lost to the sport & the big strong plodder is still a big strong plodder.
Oi!!

I enjoyed being a big strong plodder,who couldn't kick for toffee....(at one stage or another played every position in the pack except hooker)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

mol2 wrote: Too little emphasis on ball skills & awareness of space and too much on strength at a relatively young age.

Andy Farell kicked over 1000 career goals playing as a prop, second row, loose forward and stand off in rugby league and centre for Saracens. He was also a fantastic ball player.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I suspect the coaching manual used by the RFU may too be a factor
Truth is the RFU has little control over which players get looked at in England. The system is too big for them to manage and the clubs have their own ideas and agendas. Of the thousands of community clubs up and down the country I guarantee there is at least one parent coach filling a position within every age group with often two, three or four parent coaches. These coaches often fill RFU roles as well a year or two before their boy comes into the fold in preperation. Which players do you think get put forward for trials etc for further honours? The best ones or the connected ones?
We need more voluntary coaches and selectors unconnected to anything in England if the country is to ever realize it's true potential.
Cheery chappy
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I wonder if the RFU made him an improved financial offer?
This might have changed his mind in the "seeing the job through" with Sarries.
Who knows?
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Hull Fan wrote:I wonder if the RFU made him an improved financial offer?
This might have changed his mind in the "seeing the job through" with Sarries.
Who knows?
RFU adamaent they have had no contact with Farrell.

So clearly they have.

I am more inclined to believe something occurred at Sarries to upset him.
Still keeping the faith!