Manu on the wing.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Manu on the wing.

Post by MJ Chairman »

I am a huge fan of Manu, but like many others can see that what ever reason he is struggling at present.
In yesterday's England game Jonathan Joseph came on and played really well, and I believe possesses a better all round game than Manu.
England seem to be struggling for an 11 at present. Could Manu be the answer?
I think an England back line of Youngs, Flood, Manu, Allen, Joseph, Ashton, Foden, could be quite something.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu on the wing.

Post by Purebob »

Not sure Manu's quick enough MJ. He'd likely be more of a yellow card machine on the wing smashing down the channel but with less speed than Alex.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

You could be right Purebob. In my mind I had the turn of speed he showed for England when scoring in Paris.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think bothe Turner Hall and lowe could be considered at centre both more interesting than Barrit and farrel
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I was also watching the game, I think it was on the HD, Barnes suggested this also citing the fact Strettle and Monye aren't quite powerhouses, he then went onto say about Manu lacking in defence in midfield. When questioned by Miles Harrison about the positive strides in an England shirt, and that was doing the unthinkable, Barnes retort was "sometimes you have to do the unthinkable"
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Manu is a proven international performer at 13, and Joseph has played a lot of rugby on the wing for the U20s and Lon Irish. If we consider them both as starting options, wouldn't it be better to keep Manu where he has clearly demonstrated his quality and give Joseph a shot on the wing rather than stick in an uncapped 13 and move a proven 13 out to the wing where his (relative) lack of pace might be an issue?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

While it's clear Manu's form has dipped considerably recently let's not forget the sheer number of games he's played in 12 months, from last year's summer internationals to the world cup, six nations, Heineken cup and a large chunk of the premiership. He's still a young man learning his trade and he'll be back to the force of nature he was soon enough. Fair play to Joseph though he does have some amazing footwork for a big man and I'm looking forward to seeing him slot into the England midfield, hopefully at the expense of the criminally uninventive Barritt.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Greenwood has said before that he would like to see Manu @12 ala Ma Nonu with Joseph at 13.

I can't believe Catty is going to go the Saracens pair.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I agree MJ.

I think Manu will be a 12 long term. I cite the case of Ma'a Nonu for the All Blacks. He started off as a raw powerhouse winger and then moved inside as he developed his game. Manu is already futher ahead than Nonu was at the same stage of his career, and Nonu has gone on to become arguably the best 12 in World Rugby, with an excellent passing and solid kicking game to add to his power and speed.

It might be too early for the Manu, Joseph 12, 13 combination, but I think at some point, it has to be looked at - it could be lethal.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Due to his physical size we sometimes forget that Manu is still only a very young lad still learning the game. If Mike Cat has his way we will see a Manu and Joseph combination at 12 and 13 in the not too distant future - he has said for a while that this is the combination that could compete on the world stage and I totally agree. They are both big lads so would not lose out physically even now so I would start playing them there on a regular basis so they can build up a good understanding. With those two at centres then you really need a player like Ford or Flood at 10 to bring them into the game. Ford, Manu and Joseph for the 2015 world cup have the potential to compete with anybody.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Did Manu have such a bag game on Saturday?
Pinged for a high tackle (incorrectly according to the replay).
Overran a couple of times but did what he did with the limited ball Tigers got to him.

I doubt it would be of great benefit to his development to stick him on the wing.

A bit of a waste to put him on the wing.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Over the last few matches IMHO....Manu on the bench. Been poor and failed to offload when it was available, dangerous tackles and no vision!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I don't think Manu should tour. He's played a lot of rugby for a young lad and his hamstring injury was a real issue around the Christmas period. If he is taken then I'd start whichever of Manu or Joseph is in the better form and bench the other. Plenty of impact off the bench that way.