Barbarians squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Barbarians squad

Post by tigerburnie »

I used to be huge fan of the Baa-baas,always went to the Xmas fixture at Welford Road.Even managed to catch a couple of Easter tour games in South Wales when touring with my old club.
Now I know times have changed,but the old rule was that there was always an uncapped player in the squad,some one on the fringe.Seems that tradition has gone by the wayside and the Baa-baas are now a bit of an "old school tie" sort of side now
Tindal has had his time.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Pam.B

Re: Barbarians squad

Post by Pam.B »

big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

I have tried to find if he has any but Jerome Fillol seems to be uncapped maybe a little older but uncapped also Antoine Burban has no caps.

As for fringe players.
Benoit August 1 cap
Raphael Lakafia 2 caps
Aled de Malmanche 5 caps
Isa Nacewa only has 1 cap too.

Not sure i see your point as they are still following the "old ways"
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

And Pelu Taele only has 8 caps.

How many caps to class as fringe and to players with no caps must cover the "at least 1 uncapped player" bit?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18069930

This was the first squad I saw and it is slightly different,I still can't see an un capped player in that squad,which is what used to be the phylisophy.A reward for a player that some felt was of international quality who didn't get a cap.
Just an obsevation I thought worthy of discussion,it seems that Mike Tindal is getting another big stage appearance,seems a shame it's not some one who's not had the opportunity was my point.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I think the key difference is that when Baa-baas were selecting a squad 20 years ago, each national team would play far less games a year, and only at full strength (e.g. England would have 4 games in 5N, 2 Autumn internationals (?) and maybe 2 summer games = 8 games a year). Hence Baa baas could pick young players who were building a reputation but for some reason not favoured by their national selectors (Neil Back being the classic English example). Now England probably play 15 games a year (5 in 6N, 4 Autumn internationals, 1 vs Baa-baas, 3-5 on summer tour). Given the injuries these days, plus the Saxons games, it means there are far less genuinely top class players who never get the chance for their country.

Also, both professional clubs and international coaches are far more reticent about releasing key players for such occasions, hence the Baa baas has inevitably become the terrain of players nearer their twilight years and the squad consists entirely of players not required by their countries or clubs (as evidenced by the current squad). This provides further evidence of why (unfortunately) the concept really is an anachronsim in the modern game. I remember going to the Baa baas games from when i started going to WR in 1989 through to the mid 1990s when the teamsheets were amazing and it was a great occasion with fantastic rugby, but I wouldn't dream of paying good money to watch a Baa baas game these days. They've become the preserve of the corporates and spectators who are happy watching a pseudo friendly veterans game rather than the genuine article! - which is fine for £5-£10, but not with full price tickets at Twickenham. Is sad but inevitable that unless we return to national teams only playing 9 or 10 games a season the Baa baas is a money making game too far in the rugby calendar.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

I am guessing that, because one of the Barbarian games is being played at Gloucester (against Ireland), the marketing people have secured the services of current and ex Gloucester players in Tindall, Qera, Fuimaono-Sapolu and Balshaw so as to make the game as attractive as possible to locals. I am sure Tindall will get a good send off from fans, assuming he plays in this game.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Isa Nacewas entire International career lasted all of 2 minutes, as a sub for Fiji vs Scotland at the 2003 RWC.

He later quit Fiji to try to get eligibility for New Zealand but the IRB (rightly IMO) ruled against him because he had previously appeared for Fiji.

Therefore I would class his Barbarian selection as being some sort of "compensation" for a missed International career.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Those last three posts answer my question admirably,thank you,Naecwas' position was something I was not aware of,so I would agree he comes pretty close to the old spirit of the club.