Final w/e Sky coverage

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

littlemark

Final w/e Sky coverage

Post by littlemark »

Are Sky really only showing the one match this Saturday? I would have thought the bottom of the table match, and maybe the Exteter match would be worth a watch. Do any Sky subscribers have any red button info that hasn't made it onto the website?

Cheers, Mark
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Final w/e Sky coverage

Post by MJ Chairman »

ESPN have got the insects v Newcastle game.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

From what I gather. That's it. I have Sky and ESPN and the coverage is lacking from both. The Insects are on Classic IIRC. Thankfully I managed to get some last minute Tiger's tickets so I'm happy. But as a Sky customer I'm not happy at all.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:From what I gather. That's it. I have Sky and ESPN and the coverage is lacking from both. The Insects are on Classic IIRC. Thankfully I managed to get some last minute Tiger's tickets so I'm happy. But as a Sky customer I'm not happy at all.
Moan to them or give up sky .... we can't do anything about it....on here
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Sky's broadcast package bought from PRL only allows them a certain number of games per season (and therefore per week).
The same is true of ESPN's broadcast rights.

Sky might love to be allowed to show more games on the final week but they aren't so they are only showing as many as they are permitted to show.

ESPN are showing the relegation anti-climax on Classic as they have the FA Cup Final on their main subsription channel.
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

This is why I gave up Sky sports, so little premiership coverage it wasn't worth it.

on the plus side ESPN classic is part of the sky 'Entertainment Extra' package so you can watch it without an ESPN subscription.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Alatoruk wrote:This is why I gave up Sky sports, so little premiership coverage it wasn't worth it.

on the plus side ESPN classic is part of the sky 'Entertainment Extra' package so you can watch it without an ESPN subscription.
Try being a supporter of the championship
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

[quote="Mr Bean

Try being a supporter of the championship[/quote]

A point I raised when asked to comment on the "new" BBC rugby sports pages.We get the scores,tables and fixtures for the national leagues and that's it.Would this happen in football?I don't expect a match analysis for every game,but the Championship playoffs are of interest to all who follow rugby surely?Who gets promoted and demoted,a very big thing for a "junior club" being promoted into the National leagues,it's where the future of the game is.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Fritzvanheerden
Tiger Cub

Post by Fritzvanheerden »

I like calling them insects.
I will now always refer to them that way.

I have met fans the world over different nationalities
different teams but the only ones i didn't like were
two wasps fans i met in RWC france 2007 they broke
the rule that rugby fans are good people.

Yeah this semi final thing across sky & espn is annoying...
I think the final is live on espn only as well.

I do think that tigers have been on ESPN a lot his season which
is good for me as a Exile Tiger working in BATH living in Bristol
its hard to get the pubs to show the tigers game.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

This is very strange thread by people with very, very short memories. It was only three seasons ago that there was only ever a single league game on at the weekend (on Sky) and when ESPN started to show 2 games each weekend as well most people (including me - and I still believe it to be so) complained that there was too much rugby on TV and about the impact it was having on attendances!

It is very easy argue that between them Sky and ESPN have got two most interesting/vital games for neutrals.

I'm lucky enough to be going on Saturday, and although I like to record the games and then see what I missed when I get home that's just a bonus. I can appreciate that many Tigers fans aren't as fortunate as me. However, as far as I can remember between the two broadcasters there have been only four Tigers league games not shown this season so we shouldn't complain too much.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

I would also imagine it would be practically difficult to show them all because they all have the same kick off time. Even if Sky were willing to put them on all their sports channels, they'd probably run out of commentators.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

And there is always the ITV4 highlights show(60 mins) on Sundays and the ESPN Premiership roundup show on Monday evening (90 minutes).
Always a Tiger
r11ksh

Post by r11ksh »

I do not believe the itv 4 program is good enough, with 60 minutes they do not spend time equally on each match, and only really focus properly on one match, where they are based! The monday night ESPN show is pretty good if you dont mind Austins view on, well, EVERYTHING. I think a MOTD format would be better on a saturday/sunday night.

I do also agree with the fact the championship gets little to no exposure, surely if BBC picked it up, it would be very cheap and the one or two matches they show, the teams would accomodate to whatever times better for the tv... Would be great exposure for the growth of the sport!

I was wondering if anyone knows how Welford Road manage to show matches that are not on tv? Do they stream it from somewhere perhaps? I cant believe I am missing one of my first matches of the season because I cannot get back to Leicester! Any way to watch it or not have to wait until Sunday night to watch 4 minutes of highlights on ITV?!

Thanks if anyone knows....
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

I have been quite impressed by the full match on premiership rugby web site.

OK you have to wait 48 ours after the match - or pay and get it 3 hours after, but its better than nothing.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

ITV focus on one match on their highlights show as that is a match that was shown live earlier that weekend.

Live (Sky or ESPN) games have multiple cameras & therefore multiple angles for analysis, replays etc. The other matches are almost always filmed from a single camera high in the stands. Extended highlights from single camera footage would not be great & hardly the kind of broadcast that ITV would be proud of. hence they cannot spend equal amounts of time on each of the 6 matches over the weekend.

BBC cannot "pick up" the Championship as it is sold as part of the a larger bundle to Sky. If it wasn't part of thies bundle then nobody would buy it, or would buy it far too cheaply. As it is, the Championship clubs get a (reasonably) decent cut of broadcast revenue from Sky, even though Sky rarely show Championship games live.

The Championship used to be available as a separate brodcast package but nobody, including the BBC, wanted to buy it! At least this way the 2nd tier clubs get a little bit of revenue, which is better than no TV revenue at all.

I didn't think that WR showed matches that weren't live on either ESPN or Sky?
If they do then that is news to me!

The only way they would be able to do it would be to get a feed from the single-camera recording from the ground's gantry and I don't know how they would get such a feed live without paying a significant sum to transmit the pictures back to WR using a dedicated feed.