Leeds Rhinos fancy a cross code game with us

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Leeds Rhinos fancy a cross code game with us

Post by Old Hob »

As the title says - and they ideally want to play us in June.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042012/ ... ntest.html
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiger in Ireland
Tiger Cub

Re: Leeds Rhinos fancy a cross code game with us

Post by Tiger in Ireland »

Apart from raising money for charity, what do Tigers get out of it?
Most of the squad will be away on either international duty, or having a well-earned rest, so it wouldn't really be a Tigers team, more an academy side.
Interesting concept, but I can't see the point. I'd rather see the best in the northern hemisphere (us), take on the best of the southern hemisphere (winner of the super 15), in a full strength game of proper rugby union.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

What makes them think people want to see this. I find League very dull and a game as suggested would never fill the emirates.

It would also lead to a walkover by any decent union side.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'd be more tempted by a half-and-half game rather than 80 minutes of some weird untested cocktail. Both codes are entertaining in their own right but it's hard to see what's to be gained by meeting in the middle.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

This is a crazy idea. Suggesting playing league in one half and union in another is absurd. Just a few questions:

> How will identikit league players cope with a union scrum!?
> How will union players react to the league idea of a "tackle"?
> How will the refs treat forward passes - When they can in the union half and when they feel like it in the league half?
> Will the team numbers have to change simultaneously when one team crosses halfway?
> What if Murphy or Agulla play and drop a goal from 50+ metres - what will they score!?
CitizenSmiff wrote: It's hard to see what's to be gained by meeting in the middle.
If meet in the middle means some hybrid/ compromise/ "third way" then it might work, but not if they try and play both codes at once!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Much as I'd like to see it happen for the sheer bedlam it'd cause I was in fact suggesting the game be divided by periods of 40 minutes rather than areas on the pitch.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

CitizenSmiff wrote:Much as I'd like to see it happen for the sheer bedlam it'd cause I was in fact suggesting the game be divided by periods of 40 minutes rather than areas on the pitch.
I think there's been a misunderstanding - I was referring to the suggestion in the linked article.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Mm very interesting....but stupid!
Was it Bath v. Wigan some years ago? RU club got considerably thrashed in RL. Narrowly won RU if my memory is correct. Both in one match? Doesnt matter what the Aossies have been up to this sounds crackers. RU one half, RL second half? (of the match, not the pitch!) Maybe.
However would it draw the crowds esp in what is our close season?
Also the boys will surely be enjoying a well deserved break OR participating in a well planned and vital pre season. Sounds like a non runner to me. :smt017
Tigers - true Champions!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

The plan is to play RL rules whilst working your way out of your half and then RU laws when in the opposition's half. Does this mean a team moving out of their half plays RL but the other side, since they're in the other half, are playing RU?

Is this meant to be a 13 or 15 a side game?

Do the prats that came up with this seriously expect players to 'switch brains' the instance the ball crosses the halfway line?

I have heard some :censored: in my time but this takes the biscuit! Anyway, why should we play them in June when our players are knackered after a full season and the RL players are fit and ready for running around in the sun? Let them come to Welford Road on a wet Wednesday in late January. I'm sure the academy lads will accommodate them.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

The problem is, the integral parts of union that make it different: contested scrum, contested lineout, rucks, mauls ect. would have to be removed for any league team to compete...

AND so would the massive hits of league, which basically nullifies that sport aswell. Watering down both you'd get sevens-style rugby with 15 players-thanks but nahh.

Plus
Tiger in Ireland wrote:I'd rather see the best in the northern hemisphere (us), take on the best of the southern hemisphere (winner of the super 15), in a full strength game of proper rugby union.
Think we'd probably need a competition to see who's the best in the northern hemisphere to be honest, HC perhaps... though, sadly that would hardly put us at the top. With a full squad I agree it would be between us, Clermont and Leinster. Going all that way (where would you suppose the matches be held anyway?) it would seem a waste not to make it a tour. Play the three winners of the groups perhaps? Never going to happen though, already barely have an off-season.
jack wrote:Was it Bath v. Wigan some years ago? RU club got considerably thrashed in RL. Narrowly won RU if my memory is correct. :smt017
-"result Wigan 82 Bath 6...result Bath 44 Wigan 19." This was 1996, just at the start of RU professionalism. Nowadays scrums in particular would be completely unpractical and dangerous.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Stupid idea

Not a very constructive post I know, but its how I feel ...

:smt018 :smt018 :smt019 :smt018 :smt018
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Cross dressing rugby. Don't think so.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Is this a late April fools day story ?

Absolute b*£!*(^S.!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

They should get Saracens to do this. They would be well up for such a stupid PR exercise. Besides, several of the Saffas team and coaching staff are from league anyway so they would have a better idea going in to it.

What I would like is at the end of each year is:

Winner of Premiership v Winner of Oz Conference
Winner of Pro12 v Winner of NZ Conference
Winner of Top14 v Winner of SA Conference

Just one game each (not a competition or anything) taking in turns to stage in the NH then SH. Each year it rolls round so you face a different opposition. I think this would be very popular!
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

I really can't see how this type of hybrid game could ever work in a practical sense!

One hybrid version that could work (and has worked in the past) is where the first 40 mins are played as one code and the second 40 as the other code. This model was used when St Helens played Sale Sharks at Knowsely Road in 2003. The final score was 41-39 to Sale but Sale won the first half 41-0 with Saints winning the league period 39-0 and narrowly missed out on a draw when a last minute conversion drifted wide. Over 12,000 fans attended that match.