Great news. Coffee shop - mobiles

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Great news. Coffee shop - mobiles

Post by Kinoulton »

At last we can inch forward in etiquette instead of reeling backwards all the time.

A coffee shop in Norfolk (apparently a very good one) is refusing to serve anyone who approaches the counter trying to order coffee whilst still gabbling to some jerk on their mobile.

I think this should become law.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Great news. Coffee shop - mobiles

Post by BJ. »

I saw the article on BBC Breakfast this morning and I fully support the stance taken by the shop owners.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

IMHO all coffee shops should be Faraday Cages. No mobiles, no internet. Just coffee and if you must (not for me) cakes.

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It does amuse me that people who are presumably earning a decent whack, because they can afford about £6 for two coffees, order them and are then asked by the useless monkey behind the counter: "Would you like a muffin with that?"

I mean, have you ever been in a butchers buying some steak and had the butcher say: "would you like a pork pie with that?"

No.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Kinoulton wrote:It does amuse me that people who are presumably earning a decent whack, because they can afford about £6 for two coffees, order them and are then asked by the useless monkey behind the counter: "Would you like a muffin with that?"
May I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave here (comment 2 page 1)?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes indeed!

But back on the mobile phone front:

In the past I had a couple of jobs where my gaffers expected me to achieve a lot on their behalf, and mostly this was done on the phone. I was busy.

So the golden rule was that you were prepared before you made the call, you were courteous, and you cut to the chase pdq so that you could both move on to the next thing and that was that.

If you rambled on for an hour talking to someone on a mobile whilst sitting on a train, you were not doing your job right. You were just showing off.

Now I admit I have gone into internal meetings and apologised up front to others, explaining the situation the company is in which means I have to keep my mobile on, but that I definitely won't answer it unless it is this particular customer.

But if I was expecting such a call I wouldn't go to Starbucks to answer it and talk loudly infront of people who don't give a sh*t about me or what I do for a living.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Kinoulton wrote:If you rambled on for an hour talking to someone on a mobile whilst sitting on a train, you were not doing your job right. You were just showing off.
I remember one occasion back in the bad old days when I was based in London 5 days a week and couldn't get away until the 19.00 train on the Friday.

As usual, the train was packed and I was sat opposite some bozo in his wide pinstripe suit, red braces and blue/white striped shirt with white collar and cuffs. In the 1 hour 50 minutes it took us to get from St Pancras to Derby, he made four phone calls. The trouble was it was the same call to four different people. Each time he harped on about what a bad meeting he'd had and how all the others there were nothing but idiots. By the time he was on the fourth call, I knew what he was going to say before he said it.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think we all have an occassion when a call comes in that we need to take, but the time and place is inappropriate, especially for people around you.

If I see the number of the caller and realise it can wait, I will kill it and call back later. If that's not possible then I will take the call quietly and pleasantly but explain where I am, which normally results in a quick and necessary exchange which I understand the rest of the people in the restaurant/train/hotel lobby consider an intrusion.

So these people who take an utterly unimportant call "Hi, I'm on the train, has Suzy gone to bed yet, can I say goodnight to her" in a voice that is so loud that people drilling holes in the road can hear, need castrating.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

And if they are women, Kinny?

I suggest a non discriminatory tar and feathering all round - more visible too! :smt002
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think both genders are guilty of swerving down our drive and into a car park (populated by horses, dogs and children) whilst gabbling away on their mobiles.

Drives me nuts.

But whereas women seem to spend a lot of time texting someone even thought they are in a restaurant or pub, it does seem to be a male thing to talk loudly down the phone in a public place because clearly their life is more important than ours.

"When you've finished the report, Fiona, could you leave it on my desk for the morning?" Well what the f*** else is she going to do with it? Stick it on a bonfire?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

. . .hopefully?
Valhalla I am coming!