The Boat Race

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

The Boat Race

Post by Rizzo »

Very dramatic! First the stupid swimmer forcing the boats to stop, then the wait for repositioning and a re-start, then the oars clashing and Oxford losing an oar...then the bow rower Alex Woods collapsing and being dragged off the boat for medical attention. Subdued semi-celebration by Cambridge, no presentation being held. (I think I also heard someone say Oxford were not coming out at all.)

I wouldn't have liked to be that Umpire making that decision, especially in the face of Oxford's reaction.

Good job they didn't have one of the rugby referees, eh?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Tigerbeat

Re: The Boat Race

Post by Tigerbeat »

It was packed full of incidents. The Referee was a former Cambridge student!!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:It was packed full of incidents. The Referee was a former Cambridge student!!!
Tigerbeat!!! What are you suggesting!! The race should have continued and the oarsmen took the swinners head off?

:smt009
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Maybe the race could be amended. Protestors of the more ridiculous variety (allowed helmets)and criminals (not allowed helmets) are herded into the water and the teams get bonus points for the number they hit?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Old Hob wrote:Protesters of the more ridiculous variety (allowed helmets) and criminals (not allowed helmets) are herded into the water and the teams get bonus points for the number they hit?
Death Race 2000 takes to the water? Umm, I think it could work.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

This idea has got legs. All those irritating R&B wannabes on XFactor should be chucked into the Thames and told they're not allowed to sing until they swim to Putney Bridge whilst being pursued by two crews who have actually achieved something, and wish to dash their brains with their oars.

Every pub in Britain would put that one on the wide screen TV.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I've read various articles on this. Apparently his name was Trenton Oldfield and he was a former student of the London School of Economics with a Masters in Urbanism... this is the clincher he was apparently protesting against elitism (or oxbridge testing on animals I've since read)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:I've read various articles on this. Apparently his name was Trenton Oldfield and he was a former student of the London School of Economics with a Masters in Urbanism... this is the clincher he was apparently protesting against elitism (or oxbridge testing on animals I've since read)
I do hope he enjoys his time in gaol!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Nice to see you're still here Bill. Now I understand the need for protest but against elitism when your name is Trenton and you went to a prestigious university. Made me laugh
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

Will not forget this one.
Oxford would have won.
Daughter now at Oxford and teaching/telling me about her First year mate.(same subject). His hands bleed. She looks at rowers and sees the blood and sweat.

What they go through is REAL pain.

PS REF was ex Cambs but M. Pinsent was Ox so I do.............not have a problem with that.

Forgetting the Boat Race.................The Olympic organs are getting twitchy about these single idiots.
How should they be stopped?
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

byrontiger wrote: Forgetting the Boat Race.................The Olympic organs are getting twitchy about these single idiots.
How should they be stopped?
Can they be stopped? There will always be a few idiots. All of the available security should be concentrated on making sure nothing serious happens, if there are a few idiots running on to tracks etc then just deal with it there and then.
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

That chap could have had his head sliced off. Idiot.
Cycling,marathon and sailing (and many other sport?) could be at risk. Golf?
What is in the Olympics?
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

SAS should have snipers positioned suitably IMHO

Mr. Oldfield should have been taken out.

Pour encourager les autres!

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Still keeping the faith!
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

oldfield ducked under the oxford oars - at race speed they wold pass over him in around 1 1/2 secs - they could have continued the race.

However it is doubtful that the following melee of boats would have missed him

The oxford cox - She - should have obeyed the umpires instruction to maintain a 3 metre gap between boats Oxford could have won but probably wouldn't
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

weell in fairness no they couldn't have continued the race, the oxford cox had seen the swimmer about 2 strokes before he passed under the boat and considering the speed they would have passed him at she would have very little idea whether or not he'd ben decapitated. I mean, if they'd continued it would've incredibly hard for her

to not tell the guys to row back over there and have another go. :smt067

But yes, she did then make the error and so although it's unfortunate, oxford still had it in the bag on the second attempt had she not steered so close to the cambridge boat and cost the team the win.