a powerful shirt

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

a powerful shirt

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Today I wore the Tigers' shirt (bought two weeks ago thanks to BJ's kind hospitality) under the Parisian crisp-blue sky. In the métro a young man dressed as a post-structuralist artist with a moustache points my shirt and says in a fairly good English "A great club, sir". To wich I answered "Indeed".

When your shirt is known abroad by post-structuralist artists you can tell you support a great club, what? :smt026
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: a powerful shirt

Post by Phil B »

Can you supply a picture of a post-structuralist artist? I am very interested in what they look like, in case we have any examples here in Ales.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

@Phil B. On second thoughts, I should have taken a picture of the said young man. He wore intersting clothes. checkered pants. A moustache worthy of a surrealistic painter. Pork pie hat. Polka dot shirt. We have plenty of the kind in Paris. I bet his parents are rich and his studies long.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Being a thicko, I just googled "post structual artists" and was rewarded with a picture of a lovely looking lady in big glasses. So thanks for that ZSF, a good way to start the day!

But on a serious note, "powerful shirts" like ours, which are iconic, should be worn whenever possible, and the likes of The All Blacks, Juventus, Barcelona, Harlequins etc should never have to resort to wearing grey, yellow, purple etc unless there is a very good reason for it, beyond the whim of some ****** shirt salesman.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Eon

Post by Eon »

While in general terms agreeing with Kinoulton I must add that 'wearing grey, yellow, purple" is exactly what Harlequins should be doing. But only all at once. :smt001

personally I enjoy wearing my shirt in Bath the most.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

EON, i agree with you...wearing my shirt in Bath is always a pleasing thing!!! Although i draw the line at wearing my very old GOLDSTAR top, due to the moth holes and the Mrs not very happy with its state...
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Paris, Bath I agree with both. However, today in Northampton........
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:@Phil B. On second thoughts, I should have taken a picture of the said young man. He wore intersting clothes. checkered pants. A moustache worthy of a surrealistic painter. Pork pie hat. Polka dot shirt. We have plenty of the kind in Paris. I bet his parents are rich and his studies long.
Here in Ales, he would cause a bit of a stir. The people around here are descended from coal miners, so very much "down to earth".
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Just returned home from a weekend on the North Yorkshire Moors and I saw some chap with a Tigers shirt on in the car. Too hot to wear my long sleeved one. But it just shows us Tigers get around a bit!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I was wearing my Tigers shirt (long sleeved, Vauxhall) when a Canadian gent put his thumb up to me and said "Great team!".

I was in Jasper, AB at the time.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
movingtoleicester

Post by movingtoleicester »

As RU seems to be aping football. How long before one is beaten up for wearing a rugby shirt? I give it 5 years.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I don't think it will ever happen. It doesn't happen in cricket, ice hockey etc and it is happening less and less in football.

In the 70s you wouldn't dream of wearing your colours to football for fear of being picked on, but now I've proudly worn my Forest shirt at Wembley, Pride Park, the Crisp Bowl, Auxerre, Coventry, Lyon, Munich, Anfield, Elland Road etc etc and it really isn't an issue for the most part.

I can't see it affecting rugby, and thank mother nature for that.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Daveyboy wrote:I was wearing my Tigers shirt (long sleeved, Vauxhall) when a Canadian gent put his thumb up to me and said "Great team!".

I was in Jasper, AB at the time.
In 2007, Mrs Beej and myself were on a coach tour around NZ and in the party there was a couple of Canadians from Calgary. One day I wore my short-sleeved Tigers shirt from the same vintage as yours and all the Canuck could comment on was the fact Vauxhall had a pretty lousy reputation in Canada.

Heigh-ho! :smt102
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

My most random moment was meeting a Saints fan wearing his shirt on a train from Flam in Norway up to the mountain rail station. He glanced at me, said "oh you Tigers get everywhere!" or words to that effect, and we had a good chat about rugby generally. Nice chap. I'll be taking a Tigers shirt of some kind to the USA in June, wonder if it'll be commented on there?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Good luck with that, Rizzo. Whenever I got to America and am asked "where you folks from?" I get the familiar retort: "Nodding- haaaaaaam? There's really a place called Noddingham-haaaam? Robben Hude?"