FA to blame for homophobia?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

FA to blame for homophobia?

Post by fleabane »

Yep! sounds daft to begin with, but read on . . .

http://tinyurl.com/7lddpb2
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: FA to blame for homophobia?

Post by Kinoulton »

The FA would not be the first organisation to preach inclusiveness without actually demonstrating any.

I've worked for numerous corporations that have spouted about being multi-sex, multi-ethnic blah blah blah but all the rich grey faces on the Board belong to middle aged hetrosexual white men, none of whom had any physical impairment beyond gout.

If a woman gets on to the board then there's a good chance she'll be in HR or Marketing. Disabled people often only get to head up Health & Safety, and gay men are more or less obliged to stay in the closet.

The FA certainly seems like an old boys' club but it merely reflects a problem that exists across the UK.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

The FA is incestuous, self serving, greedy, narrow minded and weak.

All imho of course. Yes it is homophobic but no surprise since the lack of moral standards in pro football has been evident for a long time. The ony wy forward is for the government to interfere.

I would like to know why football clubs are allowed to avoid paying tax, ni and vat on a regular basis and why when they go bust the FA has priority as a debtor ahead of the taxman/payers.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Isambard wrote:The FA is incestuous, self serving, greedy, narrow minded and weak.

At the risk of incurring BJ's wrath - it is like the RFU then?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Bill W (2) wrote:At the risk of incurring BJ's wrath - it is like the RFU then? :smt017
To put it simply, will you :censored: with your constant sniping at the RFU on threads that aren't to do with rugby? I don't know (nor care) what your obsession is with this constant attack but, if you feel it is so crucial, for crying out loud will you please keep it to the relevant threads and stop trying to hijack those on different topics?

Getting back on topic, I fail to see how the FA can be held responsible for homophobia in the game and the homophobic attitudes of individuals, whether they be players, club staff or supporters. These people know it is wrong yet they still choose to continue with it: surely the responsibility lies entirely with them. The FA (or FIFA or UEFA or whoever) can send out anti-homophobic messages until the cows come home but if people don't want to listen, they won't.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

BJ. wrote: These people know it is wrong yet they still choose to continue with it: surely the responsibility lies entirely with them. The FA (or FIFA or UEFA or whoever) can send out anti-homophobic messages until the cows come home but if people don't want to listen, they won't.
I have some sympathy with this - but would question whether "these people" know it is wrong. Until the FA (or FIFA or UEFA or whatsoever ruling body of whatsoever sport) take positive strong action against the practitioners they will continue.
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

To get to the route of the supposed homophobia problem, someone needs to establish what it is. Are there very few gay professional footballers or are there loads who keep it a secret? For once you can't blame the neanderthal fans, as there is hardly any homophobic chanting or abuse from the crowds.

Way back in the 90s when Pierre Van Hooijdonk played for Celtic he got a lot of homophobic abuse from the Rangers fans, but as soon as he moved to the English league to play for Forest it stopped.

Personally I have employed quite a lot of openly gay men over the years and it occurs to me that not one of them had the slightest interest in playing or watching football. Make of that what you will.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Kinoulton wrote: Personally I have employed quite a lot of openly gay men over the years and it occurs to me that not one of them had the slightest interest in playing or watching football. Make of that what you will.
Gay men are classier? :smt023

It's an interesting one this - is staying in the closet based on an unfounded belief that they will be ill received by fans and players? If so, it might perpetuate a homophobic image of football, preventing others from disclosing their sexuality.

I personally think it's a mixture of this and a knee jerk reaction to isolated incidents, creating the impression that there is a more systemic problem (which can only help contribute to a growing impression of victimisation).
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think you're probably right. It's been decades now since it became perfectly normal to be openly gay in such pursuits as music, acting, comedy, and even some worldwide sports (dressage comes to mind).

I think that once a few footballers come out the closet it will soon become yesterday's news and no one will give a hoot.