Ford MUST replace Flood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SpanishTiger

Re: Ford MUST replace Flood

Post by SpanishTiger »

What the heck are you talking about?

He had a great game he just wasn´t confident in the drop goal. He tackled, he earned penalties at the breakdown, he made breaks under heavy pressure and about 90% of his clearance kicks were great.

Did you see him calling for the ball like 10 times before Grindall decided to pass it to him in a horrible slow pass? And then he had the nerve to attemp a side step, because Grindal never gave him enough time.

AND THEN he was screaaaaaaaaaaaming for Grindal to open the ball because there was superiority, it was so evident!

Glad Murphy kicked it, but if he had failed, it would have been Grindal's fault for not opening that ball!!!

I seriously cant understand what do people have against Flood! Hilarious.

I guess the fact that he asked for the drop goal pass about 4 or 5 times is also cowardly to you.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

IMHO England will go with same set up & lose against Wales thus releasing Floody back to us. He will want to start & continue his return to form with us beating Newcastle! Manu on the other hand will be in England squad probably a bench slot, Waldrum could get in but with Newbs back & Woods it shouldn't affect us either way. Might also be a surprise SH available next week if YBY doesn't sort himself out!!
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

I thought Flood did well to take the ball up and recycle it when he was charged following a slow pass back! I imagine all the Flood-bashers on here could have done much better in the same situation! Oh that's right....
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I think it is a bit unfair to bash Flood for not taking a the drop goal. I thought he called for the ball a few times anyway but it just didn't come. He has been out for a while after tweaking his knee ligaments and I doubt that he has been able to do as much practice kicking as normal so it made sense for someone else to offer themselves as an alternative as saffas runners were always going to have their eyes on Flood. I also thought he had a good first half but maybe tried a bit too hard when Tigers were going through a difficult patch and fell behind in the second half. There was a short period when the service was a bit flatter and slower and it made things difficult but Tigers kept at it and there were some good line breaks by the backs which stretched saffas.
Cheery chappy
butler8
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by butler8 »

a post match quote from the bbcsport website:

Leicester Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill: "I was desperate for the lads to go for the drop - probably about 14 times before Geordan finally delivered. And I think it was apt that he should score the winner.

"It was Geordan who sat the players down in midweek and told them what is expected of Leicester players after last week's performance.

HE then made the call to take the drop-goal and did what all great Leicester players do, he led from the front."

i think this should at least give some perspective on why flood 'bottled' the drop goal attempt. we played well. we won. would we be a better team without flood? ... i think we all know the answer is no
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I don't think TF bottled it.
If he had taken the first opportunity, it would almost certainly been charged down, as the Scarries were up very, very fast, maybe illegally.
This was a one chance opportunity and it had to be right, as our whole season could depend on it. Listen to the words of Eminem when it's played before next Saturday's game!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

What the heck are you talking about?

He had a great game he just wasn´t confident in the drop goal. He tackled, he earned penalties at the breakdown, he made breaks under heavy pressure and about 90% of his clearance kicks were great.

Did you see him calling for the ball like 10 times before Grindall decided to pass it to him in a horrible slow pass? And then he had the nerve to attemp a side step, because Grindal never gave him enough time.

AND THEN he was screaaaaaaaaaaaming for Grindal to open the ball because there was superiority, it was so evident!

Glad Murphy kicked it, but if he had failed, it would have been Grindal's fault for not opening that ball!!!

I seriously cant understand what do people have against Flood!
Reading this thread I was getting ready to post something akin to this but Spanish Tiger beat me to it. Completely agree. Flood played well enough with slow ball and iffy passing against a defence that has one Sarries an AP title. He didn't bottle the kick he was screaming for the ball for ages before Grindal gave him a dodgey pass around his right shoulder, it was cool headed play that made his side step the rushing defence and recycle the ball so that we could have another go. If he'd lost his head and tried the kick it may well have been a charge down.

Geordan was the hero of the day but to brand Flood the villain is doing the man a dis-service.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Sam16111986, absolutely correct!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

The reactionary rhetoric on this board really makes it hard to read here sometimes....
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 1966 »

Thought Flood did OK, not great but OK, akin to most backs for the last few seasons.

I can't help but think that the under performance of our back play and individuals is more a sign of another problem, the coaching.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Loads of the stuff written on this forum about Flood is absolute drivel. Yesterday he played well, tackled well, passed well, kicked 4 out of 6 (which isn't at all bad given that there were some more difficult kicks in there) and correctly opted to retain possession rather than having a DG attempt charged down by an onrushing (and proabably offside) Sarries defence.

His passing and timing of pass in the moves preceding Slater's try was exceptional, and whilst risky it was his preparedness to continue probing the Sarries defence whilst in our 22 which led to Manu's breakout.

I don't think Flood has had the same 9 and 12 to work with for more than 2 games in a row all season, in addition to being mucked around by England at the WC and getting injured at a key moment. I don't recall us looking too brilliant in his absence against Ulster and Aironi. And to criticise his leadership and accountability is laughable given how vocal he always is on the pitch and how much this has been commented on by many of his Leicester and England teammates.

So he isn't Dan Carter, but then nobody else in world rugby is either. I can still see very little argument for why he isn't the best available English fly half and think England have much more chance of beating Wales with him than without him.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

I dont he bottled it, the defense knew what was coming and did their job!
The dementedmole thinks otherwise.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/02/19/murp ... ood-plain/
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

1966 wrote:I can't help but think that the under performance of our back play and individuals is more a sign of another problem, the coaching.

Really?

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

I'd want Castrogiovanni to bring the level headedness and control required for success in the test arena to his Tigers performances - doesn't mean I'd want him taking the drop goal.

Murphy steps up as the better drop kicker than flood to slot the drop goal.

Flood played well with some classy touches and is picking up form very quickly considering his lay off.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

kornboy130 wrote:I'd want Castrogiovanni to bring the level headedness and control required for success in the test arena to his Tigers performances - doesn't mean I'd want him taking the drop goal.

Murphy steps up as the better drop kicker than flood to slot the drop goal.

Flood played well with some classy touches and is picking up form very quickly considering his lay off.
It was a far better performance than at Exeter, yet I feel he has not got back to recent levels of confidence. He does not suit Lancaster's current game plan however and expect to see Fazhead preferred ahead of him - wrongly, as he is far less of a running 10 than Flood if an attacking game is finally chosen.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.