Teams up for Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up for Saracens

Post by Darc Tiger »

beech wrote:I have been critical of Flood in the recent past but I am delighted that his place kicking form seems to be returning. If this restores his confidence he will play a crutial part in the end of season games.
He has dropped that silly tip toeing before kicks! Which is what threw him off. Thanks Dave Alred!
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Bristol Tiger wrote: As an aside, I remember a drop goal form Geordan form the half way line at Welford Rd that went straight through the posts. Tigers had been well on top through-out the game and in the final stages were pushing for another try. The attack broke down and the defence kicked straight down field - into Geordan's waiting arms. He looked up, saw there wasn't a lot on so just kicked the drop goal form half-way. Sheer class and got the biggest cheer of the day. ....
I remember that so well... 1st thought was "what's the eejit doing?" as it went straight down the middle from inside Tiger's half. When it went thru' the sticks it got cheered louder than some tries. Smurph looked as surprised as any & Vesty (?) nearly knocked him over in celebration. Helluva DG. Murphy? Class? No question.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

My point stands as before though. Flood is not "pants" and has proved himself time and time again to be a superb fly half for the Tigers. He did not have his best game today but his general play was pretty good - with the exception of his tactical kicking. and I maintain that standing aside to let someone who has more experience with hitting drop goals is not "copping out". It shows a degree of maturity to step aside and be able to acknowledge your own weaknesses.

On a side note, I thought Munipola, Slater, Waldrom and Manu were great today. Also pleased to see Grindal have a good game. Well done to all the lads.[/quote]

Leicester Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill: "I was desperate for the lads to go for the drop - probably about 14 times before Geordan finally delivered.
Where was Flood then for the 14 times before moving aside as you put it for Murphy ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="sapajo"]

Leicester Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill: "I was desperate for the lads to go for the drop - probably about 14 times before Geordan finally delivered.

Where was Flood then for the 14 times before moving aside as you put it for Murphy ? [/quote]

Flood was in position a number of times.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

sapajo wrote:Flood is not "pants" and has proved himself time and time again to be a superb fly half for the Tigers. He did not have his best game today but his general play was pretty good - with the exception of his tactical kicking. and I maintain that standing aside to let someone who has more experience with hitting drop goals is not "copping out". It shows a degree of maturity to step aside and be able to acknowledge your own weaknesses.

On a side note, I thought Munipola, Slater, Waldrom and Manu were great today. Also pleased to see Grindal have a good game. Well done to all the lads.

Where was Flood then for the 14 times before moving aside as you put it for Murphy ? [/quote]

In the pocke. He firstly directed the pack and trusted the forwards to get to a point where he was close enough to have a crack - becuase of the speed of the Saracens charge down and the questionable offside line, he was having to stand pretty far back. Then Grindal went to pass but turned and went himself. Then Grindal did pass but the Saracens were up very quickly and Grindal's pass wasn't the best. It then became apparent to Murphy that having an extra kicking option would stretch the Saracens' charge down. So he also got into the pocket, took ownership and scraped the ball over the bar. Superb play.

Flood made the right call - and we won the game.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Couldn't watch the game but I thoroughly enjoy the result ! Go Tigers, congratulations to all, and the fans who travelled as well! :smt026
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Well! That was a really bad day! Stuck on the side of the motorway with a dead ford! (Ford stands for "fix or repair daily" or "found on road dead") Rhubarb :censored: rhubarb! And my grey shirt is soaked in Diesel, that's the oil not the aftershave. I didn't even record the game.

I can't praise or criticise what I didn't see but it sounds like we showed some guts today. Both sides not a full strength so it detracts from things a little but I'm pleased for the win.

It doesn't change my views on our current coaching set up. We need a change at the top. I'll raise a glass to those who took the field today. Sounds like they deserved it!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

In the pocket actually. He firstly directed the pack and trusted the forwards to get to a point where he was close enough to have a crack - becuase of the speed of the Saracens charge down and the questionable offside line, he was having to stand pretty far back. Then Grindal went to pass but turned and went himself. Then Grindal did pass but the Saracens were up very quickly and Grindal's pass wasn't the best. It then became apparent to Murphy that having an extra kicking option would stretch the Saracens' charge down. So he also got into the pocket, took ownership and scraped the ball over the bar. Superb play.

Flood made the right call - and we won the game.[/quote]
The truth is Flood made no call. This is wholly consistent with RC's statement and as he said it was Murphy who finally made the call.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Big Dai wrote:Well! That was a really bad day! Stuck on the side of the motorway with a dead ford! (Ford stands for "fix or repair daily" or "found on road dead") Rhubarb :censored: rhubarb! And my grey shirt is soaked in Diesel, that's the oil not the aftershave. I didn't even record the game.

I can't praise or criticise what I didn't see but it sounds like we showed some guts today. Both sides not a full strength so it detracts from things a little but I'm pleased for the win.

It doesn't change my views on our current coaching set up. We need a change at the top. I'll raise a glass to those who took the field today. Sounds like they deserved it!

Commiserations Big Dai!

I am delighted for all the players and G. Murphy Esq in particular.

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I am currently watching our final phase of play (recorded the game) and he is sitting in the pocket from about the 12th phase onwards. He points forward a few times and tells the forwards to take it up. He called twice and didn't get it (second time raises his hands in frustration and shouts and Grindal). He also called twice more - how else would you explain Grindal firstly attempting to pass and going himself (seeing the rushing defence), and secondly then giving the ball to flood (when he was forced to check back inside). He wouldn't have received the ball (or Grindal wouldn't have attempted to give it to him) if he didn't call for it, would he?
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com