Independence for Scotland?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Independence for Scotland?

Post by Bill W (2) »

tigerburnie wrote:.
Britain is too small and insignificant,let alone a split up group of little countries.
Thia may indeed be true.

But whilst some of the "little countries" wish to gain their independence so that they can learn what being the poor men of Europe is really like (like Greece) why should England prevent them?
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Everyone in Britain outside of London (be it Scotland, Devon, Yorkshire, Wales, Tyne & Tees, NI, Birmingham etc) is probably fed up with the power of The City and Westminster in the way that those institutions look after their London cronies and damn everybody else.

The London bankers make almighty c*ck-ups and have to close offices. Where do they close? Well, Scunthorpe, of course.

So we could all stamp our feet and threaten independence but it won't make a jot of difference to the "ruling class" that runs out capital and those that seek independence may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote: Britain is too small and insignificant,let alone a split up group of little countries.
This is a myth. A whole bunch of small northern European countries consistently come above the UK in measures of standards of living and GDP. Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark are all better than the UK.

People just assert this rubbish about being too small with no evidence, it's part of the negative campaigning done by the Westminster parties which can be summed up as 'too wee, too poor, too stupid'. A great positive argument for the union.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

biffer wrote:Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark are all better than the UK.

This is true. But they are not burdenned by having to support barnacle "nations" like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland!

Look at what is happenning in Greece - and worry about your independence!!
Still keeping the faith!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Bill W (2) wrote:
biffer wrote:Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark are all better than the UK.

This is true. But they are not burdenned by having to support barnacle "nations" like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland!

Look at what is happenning in Greece - and worry about your independence!!
And the countries mentioned do not suffer from chronic obesity, alcoholism, unemployment, civil disorder, religious strife, unwanted pregnancies and terrible poverty.

Scotland is a beautiful country populated by terrific people, but gaining independence will be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. They need to have viable plans to deal with these problems where Westminster has hopelessly failed.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

biffer wrote:
tigerburnie wrote: Britain is too small and insignificant,let alone a split up group of little countries.
This is a myth. A whole bunch of small northern European countries consistently come above the UK in measures of standards of living and GDP. Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark are all better than the UK.

People just assert this rubbish about being too small with no evidence, it's part of the negative campaigning done by the Westminster parties which can be summed up as 'too wee, too poor, too stupid'. A great positive argument for the union.
I'm pretty sure Holland is in the EU biffer and I'm old enough to remember when Britain was linked with the Scandinavians,outside of the EU.It was decades ago and the world has moved on since then.
I love living in Scotland and I'm aware of the inequallities of goverment from London,as has been very well pointed out,so is the rest of Britain.Wee 'eck has neither the resources or the backing worldwide to help Scotland stand on it's own.He may well get his way for more devolution and I would support that.As someone who will actually get to vote in this referendum(should it happen and it is definately in doubt)I have more than most to lose,so will cast my vote wisely.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

biffer wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:
biffer wrote:Nope, they were asked the proposed question.

Which is

"Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?"
Mr. Salmond clearly failed GCSE Maths (or Statistics) or whatever that is in Scotland.

It is called a loaded question.
Show me a question that isn't loaded. The unionist's suggested questions are either deliberately long and convoluted or they use words which have negative overtones such as 'seperation' which reflect the entirely negative tone of the union campaign. I STILL haven't heard any positive arguments for maintaining the union. It's had its time, so long, thanks for the good times but we're better off on our own - and that applies to all of us, not just Scotland.

Any reason why "Do you want Scotland to leave the United Kingdom? Answer Yes or No." wouldn't work as the question?

All my rellies north of the Border will be voting for the Union whichever way the question's put. And no, they're neither English nor Conservative: they're all Deep Purples.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Already Salmond is backing off independence.

Coward!! He wants devo max - max power minimum accountability!

And he blames UK HMRC for Rangers going bust and claims this will destroy Celtic both of which are Scottish Institutions!!!

Yeah right - like RBS was!!!

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Horribly drunk, may rply t some points tmrw.