Fabio Capello resigns as England manager

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Fabio Capello resigns as England manager

Post by BJ. »

From the Beeb

My opinions of the round ball sport are well documented on this forum but I have nothing but the greatest respect for Signor Capello and the deepest contempt for the FA.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fabio Capello resigns as England manager

Post by biffer »

So after Arry the wheeler dealer was cleared to day, does this mean that England are going to go from a manager who had trouble speaking English to one who can barely read or write it?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

biffer wrote:So after Arry the wheeler dealer was cleared to day, does this mean that England are going to go from a manager who had trouble speaking English to one who can barely read or write it?
If you say so. :smt012
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I say goodbye with a glad heart. His win percentage was good, but when it counted he and his team were always lacking. I trust he will not get a pay off, (for resigning, unless it was a case of resign or be fired) but in today's mad climate, I guess he will.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Will be required to cheer for "Harry and St George?"

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I do not understand why this is a major news story.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Phil B wrote:I say goodbye with a glad heart. His win percentage was good, but when it counted he and his team were always lacking. I trust he will not get a pay off, (for resigning, unless it was a case of resign or be fired) but in today's mad climate, I guess he will.
I think he's got a reasonable case for constructive dismissal as they took a key decision which he was meant to have control of out of his hands without agreement or consultation. Easy to argue he was put in an impossible position.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It was indeed constructive dismissal.

The farcical thing is that now Capello is gone the media are clamouring for Redknapp. Why? Does anyone think for one second that Redknapp would put have put up with the old f*rts at the FA going above his head and dismissing his captain?

He would go absolutely ballistic. If the FA want a puppet, they had better look alsewhere, because Redknapp is not one to have his strings pulled.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Old Hob wrote:I do not understand why this is a major news story.
Excuse me - the manager of the national soccer team resigns and you don't consider this to be a major news story? The idea behind the Chit Chat Forum is to discuss topics that are not rugby themed. Since soccer is not rugby I would have thought this forum was the perfect place for this discussion.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Kinoulton wrote:It was indeed constructive dismissal.

They will settle (or have already settle) out of court.
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

BJ. wrote:
Excuse me - the manager of the national soccer team resigns and you don't consider this to be a major news story? The idea behind the Chit Chat Forum is to discuss topics that are not rugby themed. Since soccer is not rugby I would have thought this forum was the perfect place for this discussion.
The fact that this story had a headline on the front pages of some newspapers rather than the back where it properly belongs shows what a nation of dullards we are. The resignation of ANY sports manager should not take up any time on Radio 4 news programmes for instance outside the sport part unless there is some other reason for interest such as his resignstion being for criminal matters. This one did. Discuss it here by all means but note I did say in my original post that I could not understand why it was classed as a MAJOR news story. The economy is a major story not this dross.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Really?!

If you can't see why this is a major news story, how have you developed an appreciation for any sport in this country?
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

maskedsquid wrote:
Really?!

If you can't see why this is a major news story, how have you developed an appreciation for any sport in this country?
I cannot answer you. Your argument from personal incredulity signifies that you have a difficulty not me.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

biffer wrote:
Phil B wrote:I say goodbye with a glad heart. His win percentage was good, but when it counted he and his team were always lacking. I trust he will not get a pay off, (for resigning, unless it was a case of resign or be fired) but in today's mad climate, I guess he will.
I think he's got a reasonable case for constructive dismissal as they took a key decision which he was meant to have control of out of his hands without agreement or consultation. Easy to argue he was put in an impossible position.

I can see where you are coming from, but the action which leads a person to walk away from a job, claiming "constructive dismissal" has to be so bad as for the employee to believe they have been dismissed.

It could well be, for all I know, that rules exist whereby the FA can remove a Captain, unilaterally, should it feel that the image of the sport is tarnished by that person continuing in the role.

I would not want to take Capello's case on the basis you suggest. I suspect however that all of the financial arrangements are already agreed.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Old Hob wrote:
maskedsquid wrote:
Really?!

I cannot answer you. Your argument from personal incredulity signifies that you have a difficulty not me.

So the fact that Tindall, Wilkinson, Henson et al have been splashed across the front pages is OK, because they're rugby players. But football people shouldn't be there? :smt017
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!