Team vs Falcons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Team vs Falcons

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

jgriffin wrote:My personal irritation is for Forsyth - I think he is now occupying the 12T slot! Otherwise Hawkins should be in; I can see RC's conservatism kicking in big time now.
...and Lewington, Armes and Pienaar!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

norfolkexpat wrote:The back play last week was streets above the bish bosh approach of the 'names' on the team sheet this week..
As one of the very few Tigers fans there -it was a superb performance to watch, orchestrated by Harrison and Ford

So Messrs Hamilton Smith and to a lesser extent Staunton and Allen can count themselves very fortunate, because an awful lot of armchair pundits would have chosen Forsyth and Lewington after last week.
I don't agree it was anywhere near a superb performance and yes I was there. For most of the match Tigers were fairly average and error strewn. Two of the tries came from a couple of good breaks and a bit of luck and we were lucky that they didn't score when one of their players was pulled back off the ball.

However Forsyth and Lewington were the best of the bunch and Harrison played well so you could argue that they deserve a start and I think so, but that apart this is a selection to win the game and not develop. PS Smith looked sharp when he came on last week anyway.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I was hoping to see a few first team players in the side who have not had much rugby e.g. Ayerza, Skivington, Woods, Allen, Harrison, Staunton and maybe Hamilton who need gametime before the 6 nations. But like others I am disappointed not to see Stevens, Lewington, Forsyth, Green and Armes in the squad/ team. Forsyth being on the bench is small consolation really. But with that side there is no excuse not to win and get a semi-final place.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

hww27 wrote:there were due to be 4 of our younger players in the Nottingham team for Sunday. However this has now fallen foul of the weather and is off but obviously they couldnt play for both sides. (Although curiously Ryan Bower was named in both teams - hows that work then???)
If Ryan had played less than 20 minutes for Tigers he would have been available to play for Nottingham - that is from a relable source.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:
hww27 wrote:there were due to be 4 of our younger players in the Nottingham team for Sunday. However this has now fallen foul of the weather and is off but obviously they couldnt play for both sides. (Although curiously Ryan Bower was named in both teams - hows that work then???)
If Ryan had played less than 20 minutes for Tigers he would have been available to play for Nottingham - that is from a relable source.
20 minutes? Average time on park for a sub (other than Cole/Castro) under Cockers is 4.5 minutes!!!
Still keeping the faith!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well said GS. Poor Cockers can't win with some folk. Now let's be realistic. Cockers knew what sort of team Quins would put out and the open style of rugby they'd play. Newcastle has a full side out and will come to win with a hard, gritty performance. The young lads from last week will come in again at the right time. Ford,Forsythe along with Lewington are the only ones I'd have liked to seen play from last week's youngsters.Ford can't and he is the one who makes these others tick so a good choice by Cockers as Newcastle will play a similar style to Exeter where even a bonnus point would be a good result. JUST ROAR THE TEAM ON AND GIVE COCKERS SOME CREDIT.
beech

Post by beech »

I find some of the comments about the team very confusing. Cockers is criticised for not using this as a development match and then we are told that he should have withdrawn Ford from the U20 international to play against Newcastle. The fact that Ford is to captain the side and, rightly, he considers this a great honour makes me think that he wanted to stay with the U20s. Apart from wanting to reach the semi-final Cockers obviously wants to use it to prepare for the crucial league matches which are coming up during the 6N.
tf22
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Quite so - hence my minor irritation re Forsyth and Hawkins. The team is largely as it should be but once again players on the boil are relegated to the bench while others slot back in from the off. That, often in greater measure, is what tees me off with RC (and I am mostly an RC supporter).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Quite so - hence my minor irritation re Forsyth and Hawkins. The team is largely as it should be but once again players on the boil are relegated to the bench while others slot back in from the off. That, often in greater measure, is what tees me off with RC (and I am mostly an RC supporter).

I am not an RC supporter. He only uses the bench effectively with Castro and Cole.
Still keeping the faith!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Just looking at the strength of the Falcons team on their website - and their stats are already updated for the game !!

You'll be pleased to note that Gopperth plays the full 80 minutes but does not score a single point !! :smt003 (linky - scroll down to player stats)
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Games played by Tigers this season - this weeks team v last weeks :

12 Niall Morris - same
13 Horacio Agulla - Lewington 2
19 Matt Smith - Forsyth 7
7 Anthony Allen - Mama 2
16 Scott Hamilton - same
9 Jeremy Staunton - Ford 8
13 Sam Harrison - same
10 Marcos Ayerza - Stanko 16
20 George Chuter - Stevens 2
3 Julian White - Mulipola 2
13 George Skivington - Green 1
7 Graham Kitchener - same
16 Steve Mafi - Armes 3
14 Ben Woods (c) - same
17 Thomas Waldrom - Pienaar 2

So, of the players picked to come back into the team this week, only 1 has played less than 7 games this season - and that's Whitey -who's part time anyway and still has more appearances than the guy he replaces .........

In fact, only two others have less than 10 games and we know that Staunton/Ford is an enforced change anyway......
...and Chuter has played 10 games too many already :smt019

Sorry guys - I still don't get it.

Forsyth, Lewington, Green, Armes, Pienaar & Mama are now unlikely to see 1st team action again this season, so how are they supposed to develop if the 'development' competition is denied them ??? :smt017 :smt017
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jay C wrote:Games played by Tigers this season - this weeks team v last weeks :

12 Niall Morris - same
13 Horacio Agulla - Lewington 2
19 Matt Smith - Forsyth 7
7 Anthony Allen - Mama 2
16 Scott Hamilton - same
9 Jeremy Staunton - Ford 8
13 Sam Harrison - same
10 Marcos Ayerza - Stanko 16
20 George Chuter - Stevens 2
3 Julian White - Mulipola 2
13 George Skivington - Green 1
7 Graham Kitchener - same
16 Steve Mafi - Armes 3
14 Ben Woods (c) - same
17 Thomas Waldrom - Pienaar 2

So, of the players picked to come back into the team this week, only 1 has played less than 7 games this season - and that's Whitey -who's part time anyway and still has more appearances than the guy he replaces .........

In fact, only two others have less than 10 games and we know that Staunton/Ford is an enforced change anyway......
...and Chuter has played 10 games too many already :smt019

Sorry guys - I still don't get it.

Forsyth, Lewington, Green, Armes, Pienaar & Mama are now unlikely to see 1st team action again this season, so how are they supposed to develop if the 'development' competition is denied them ??? :smt017 :smt017

Good question.

RC have answers?
Still keeping the faith!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Bill W (2) wrote:Good question.

RC have answers?
Not that I can see - anyone else shed some light into the mind of Cockers, please ?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A selection much like the Aironi game of missed opportunities.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
falkie002

Post by falkie002 »

I think that RC has got the selction right for a change. Because this away of getting into the HCUP next year with out being in the top 4 of the premership and maybe a chance of winning silver ware this season
so playing big name players are gd like waldroom and cuter and matt smith.