Seeding worry

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Seeding worry

Post by WiggoTiger »

After losing again on Friday it loos like we will drop out of the top seeds for next seasons HC. I fear for our chances over the next few years if we draw pools of death! :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Seeding worry

Post by physiodan »

This season ulster and clermont, last season llanelli and Perpignan, 09/10 ospreys and clermont, 08/09 ospreys and Perpignan. Would say we always get a tough group and it doesn't matter the pool or the tier, it will be tough! Look at Munster, saints, Scarlett's and castre
TomR96
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TomR96 »

This season ulster and clermont, last season llanelli and Perpignan, 09/10 ospreys and clermont, 08/09 ospreys and Perpignan. Would say we always get a tough group and it doesn't matter the pool or the tier, it will be tough! Look at Munster, saints, Scarlett's and castre
So how are the pools decided, they don't just pick teams out of the hat, because if we have had Clermont, ospreys and Perpignan in the past 3 years twice, then surely we'll always get a tough group, so it might sound like we'll have Ulster next year.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

TomR96 wrote:
So how are the pools decided, they don't just pick teams out of the hat, because if we have had Clermont, ospreys and Perpignan in the past 3 years twice, then surely we'll always get a tough group, so it might sound like we'll have Ulster next year.
The erc website contains the details but it's based on a points system from the last 5 years. The winner gets x points and so on. We were last in the top tier last year and with no progression likely we will drop to tier 2! Check ercrugby.com and it explains better. They then pick one from each tier for the groups but try not to but teams from the same country together. Obviously if 7 english or French teams qualify then theirs will be 2 like Quine and glouc.
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

No worries, if majority of posters on here are correct and we are as dire as made out, we will only be in the Bic Biro Cup next season.(or whatever its called these days.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

scouse tiger wrote:No worries, if majority of posters on here are correct and we are as dire as made out, we will only be in the Bic Biro Cup next season.(or whatever its called these days.
More like the charcoal cup :smt045
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

We've had 'em before we'll get 'em again! The right team will win through no matter what the seeding is.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

Hardly set the world on fire for the last 3 seasons whilst being seeded have we?
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

We should still make top tier for next year.
Saints will jump ahead of us so we will be ranked 7th but Biaritz are way down the table in the top 14 and look unlikely to qualify giving us another season in tier 1.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

kingol22 wrote:We should still make top tier for next year.
Saints will jump ahead of us so we will be ranked 7th but Biaritz are way down the table in the top 14 and look unlikely to qualify giving us another season in tier 1.
I don't see Ulster beating Clermont, so we'll probably be third in the group. That would leave us on 17 points in the ranking table.

None of the teams above us will drop below us.

Northampton will get a minimum of 2 points taking them to 20.

Stade Francais will carry 13 points into next season
Clermont will carry 11
Quins will carry 12

If Stade get to the final of the Amlin they overtake us
If Clermont get to the semifinal of the HC they will overtake us
If Quins get to the semifinal of the HC they overtake us

I think the odds are against us to retain pot 1. The difficulty then comes if you draw Leinster or Munster from pot1, as we'd then get a French team as well, but it would probably be Castres or Racing Metro or someone similar, so shouldn't be as intimidating.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What does it matter?
Being in a good group is only of benefit if you are hoping to get through as a lucky loser which is hardly the approach of any side with realistic ambitions of winning the cup.

Let's face it we are heading for 3rd in arguably the easiest group this year!

I'm not a fan of seedings anyway but I can see the sponsors wanting to spread the the big names for bigger TV audiences.

Personally I'd go for changing the pool stages to 4 pools with the top 2 going through. (or 8 pools with only 1 going through) and ditch the concept of 2 from one pool and 1 from another altogether.
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

the year after is more worrying. because our 2nd place 9 points falls off the end. so unless we make final next year we will be right down rankings in 2013-14.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

WiggoTiger wrote:After losing again on Friday it loos like we will drop out of the top seeds for next seasons HC. I fear for our chances over the next few years if we draw pools of death! :smt017
If the Tigers continue to play as they are then it will be of little consequence what pool they are in. They will continue to struggle until they change their style of play and compete. That won't happen under the current coaching regime. Friday reminded me of the Leinster game at the RSG in Dublin, (Cocker's last interim game before Loffreda took over) where the Tigers were de-clawed and castrated in 80 mins. Pitiful to say the least and nothing has really got better?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

Teams are getting stronger, Italians are in the game for longer, and will only get better and better. This is an incredible tournament because the large majority of teams are evenly matched. When it comes to playing in europe, players and teams try to put their a game in for the world to see. In comparison to the european cups of the wendyball nature, The Heineken Cup is far more exciting.
The future of this tournament is exciting
Teams will get better, and groups will become harder.
Its the vision of all rugby boards in the northern hemisphere.
going forward we will have to expect the so called giant killings.
Eon

Post by Eon »

I'd rather meet the best sides in the pool, when we get them at Welford Road, than in the final.