Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

A Deafening Silence

Post by Smudge »

It's now the fourth day since our humiliation in Belfast and with the
club's infrastructure (catering and shop) under intense debate
not to mention the bitter comments aimed at the coaches in general and the DOR
in particular, yet not a word from the board in any form.

Surely the club is in a state of crisis and an emergency board meeting is called for?
Surely the members and supporters need to know that something is happening
behind the scenes? Are they even concerned?

Are we once again to be given the mushroom treatment?

Come on Peter, tell us that something is happening, for heaven's sake.

This is the club we love and spend large amounts of money supporting.

This is not good enough.
A life long Tiger
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: A Deafening Silence

Post by sapajo »

Smudge wrote:It's now the fourth day since our humiliation in Belfast and with the
club's infrastructure (catering and shop) under intense debate
not to mention the bitter comments aimed at the coaches in general and the DOR
in particular, yet not a word from the board in any form.

Surely the club is in a state of crisis and an emergency board meeting is called for?
Surely the members and supporters need to know that something is happening
behind the scenes? Are they even concerned?

Are we once again to be given the mushroom treatment?

Come on Peter, tell us that something is happening, for heaven's sake.

This is the club we love and spend large amounts of money supporting.

This is not good enough.

Sadly I fear that the board believe silence is golden and ignorance is bliss. Money talks and unless attendances drop off massively then I fear nothing will change. They will remain content to just chew on their cigars counting the dosh :smt030 :smt030 and I am fearful that they will continue to alienate the clubs lifeblood which is us supporters :smt013 :toimonster:
Last edited by sapajo on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

There's something here now.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/H ... story.html

Unfortunately, it's not good enough. Why should we be bouncing back? Surely it should be saying, the lads played their hearts out and gave everything. They're gutted, and it's going to be difficult to get them up from this.

The problem is, they didn't seem to do any of that. The whole theme seems to be reactive rather than proactive (which is a word I hate, but seems appropriate at this point).

I'm always gutted when we lose, but by the time I'm back at work on Monday I'm ok and looking forward to the next match.

I'm still gutted this time.

I HATE seeing my beloved team like this, and I've never seen the supporters as disgruntled as this.

All IMHO of course.
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

I'm always gutted when we lose, but by the time I'm back at work on Monday I'm ok and looking forward to the next match.

I'm still gutted this time.
I feel exactly the same. Some losses are harder to swallow than others. :smt022

I would be absolutely amazed if there are more than 15,000 people at the Aironi game on Saturday. I would have suspected that had we taken at least a few points from the Ulster game, WR would have been packed to the rafters. Surely the board recognise this fact?
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

the game with aironi was never going to be a sell out no matter what the result of the game on friday. why do you think tigers are giving away free tickets to all season ticket renewals to that game - italian teams dont attract fans as the games are usually one sided and everyone assumes that we will win.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Smudge wrote:Surely the club is in a state of crisis and an emergency board meeting is called for?
If you believe that losing a game of rugby and having a generally off season all round equates to a club in crisis then you must lead a very sheltered life.

Are we in financial ruin? No. Are crowds tumbling? No. Are players desperate to leave the club? No. Are staff not being paid? No. Have the bailiffs arrived? No. Have we stopped all investment? No.

In the modern world, people so often exagerate to emphasise a fact where in reality some perspective is required.

For me the last two seasons can best be described as something of a malaise. Something is needed, a couple of key players, change(s) in the coaching set-up perhaps, a relook at the youth set-up. Look what the signing of Rocky Elsom sparked in Leinster, it shows what a real pack-leader can do for a club.

I don't have the answers and I am sure only those close to the camp have enough information to understand what is required.

But be clear, Leicester Tigers in NOT in crisis, or even close to it. We are a proud, well-run, financially viable and well supported club. We are not requiring major overhaul, small changes can make huge differences. A clear out of some of the fringe player and an injection of a few new, quality faces can reap dividens.
Always a Tiger
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

and during the malaise last year we reached a premiership final - many clubs would like a malaise like that

I agree we are not having a good year - but one can also blame The world cup , a ridiculous schedule, a wage cap that hamstrings us verus other European countries and a bad string of injuries.

Do I think every thing in the Tiger Garden is rosie? - No

Do I think the club is in crisis? - NO

Could we do with a revised coaching structure? - possibly

Do we need to get rid of all our current players? - NO

Should we purchase wisely within whatever constarints the wage cap put on us next year and bin a few fringe players that have not worked out? - YES

Will I be there on Saturday? - YES

Will I cheer the team? - YES

Do I think we should put out our best team? - NO

Would I be annoyed if we lost? - YES

Major problems as I see it are

1) speed of ball won - issue with back row balance, particularly 7

2) use of ball - issue with midfield and tactics

3) without Manu we look toothless - ie not enough power pace or guile in the backs
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

bluntiger wrote:
Smudge wrote:Surely the club is in a state of crisis and an emergency board meeting is called for?
If you believe that losing a game of rugby and having a generally off season all round equates to a club in crisis then you must lead a very sheltered life.

Are we in financial ruin? No. Are crowds tumbling? No. Are players desperate to leave the club? No. Are staff not being paid? No. Have the bailiffs arrived? No. Have we stopped all investment? No.

In the modern world, people so often exagerate to emphasise a fact where in reality some perspective is required.

For me the last two seasons can best be described as something of a malaise. Something is needed, a couple of key players, change(s) in the coaching set-up perhaps, a relook at the youth set-up. Look what the signing of Rocky Elsom sparked in Leinster, it shows what a real pack-leader can do for a club.

I don't have the answers and I am sure only those close to the camp have enough information to understand what is required.

But be clear, Leicester Tigers in NOT in crisis, or even close to it. We are a proud, well-run, financially viable and well supported club. We are not requiring major overhaul, small changes can make huge differences. A clear out of some of the fringe player and an injection of a few new, quality faces can reap dividens.
Well put, couldnt have said it better myself. Then again this borders on being a 'happy clapper' and I am sure you will be shot down.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Agree with Bluntiger. Whilst we are certainly not performing to our potential we are far from being in a crisis. The hard facts are that the only two games we have lost for some time have been Clermont away and Ulster away. Both are quality teams with fantastic home records. That being said we shouldn't be blind to the fact that, for whatever reason, we are not playing well. The encouraging thing is that we all believe that we have a talented squad who have the ability to up their game. Let's hope Ulster proves to be the wake up call needed and the guys start delivering performances that are more expected from Welford Road.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Agree with Bluntiger. Whilst we are certainly not performing to our potential we are far from being in a crisis. The hard facts are that the only two games we have lost for some time have been Clermont away and Ulster away. Both are quality teams with fantastic home records. That being said we shouldn't be blind to the fact that, for whatever reason, we are not playing well. The encouraging thing is that we all believe that we have a talented squad who have the ability to up their game. Let's hope Ulster proves to be the wake up call needed and the guys start delivering performances that are more expected from Welford Road.
Seconded. The rugby blog in the Guardian has this to say:
Cockerill may well disagree but a lot of it relates to a team's state of mind. Leicester have had to work hard to restore order following their World Cup-related early-season slump. That has to take its toll mentally as well as physically.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="bluntiger"][quote="Smudge"]Surely the club is in a state of crisis and an emergency board meeting is called for?[/quote]

But be clear, Leicester Tigers in NOT in crisis, or even close to it. We are a proud, well-run, financially viable and well supported club. We are not requiring major overhaul, small changes can make huge differences. A clear out of some of the fringe player and an injection of a few new, quality faces can reap dividens.[/quote]

Well said - a sensible post amidst the hype and hysteria.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

MurphysLaw wrote:
bluntiger wrote:

Well said - a sensible post amidst the hype and hysteria.
If we are in crisis which word describes Newcastle....
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

At last, we have sensible and well reasoned posts.

Tigers will emerge from the huge disappointment of the manner of the defeat by Ulster.

Happy to be happy clappy :smt002
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Zdzislaw wrote:At last, we have sensible and well reasoned posts.

Tigers will emerge from the huge disappointment of the manner of the defeat by Ulster.

Happy to be happy clappy :smt002
Precisely how are they going to accomplish this Zdzislaw? :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Haven't gates been down for a couple of years now?

Some of that is because the new stand means more capacity and more people take a risk on not buying a season ticket on the assumption that there will be enough tickets to pick & choose the games they want rather than pay for them all (in the form of a season ticket)

The quality of play we've seen over the past couple of years has been indifferent compared to what we are used to which in turn dissuades some form buying tickets in already tight financial times.

We've seen so many matches with Tigers seemingly only bothering for one half of the match and playing like 15 individuals.

Is it the salary cap - indeed do we have that much money to spend on salaries anyway? Certainly our spending on players has seemed to have reduced since we built the new stand. Or are we not as canny as some clubs in terms of arranging individual sponsorship to mitigate the effect of the salary cap.