Tigers vs Wasps, Saturday 7th January 2012

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers27
Tiger Cub

Re: Tigers vs Wasps, Saturday 7th January 2012

Post by Tigers27 »

tigerburnie wrote:I'll not gloat just yet as they have a habit of stinging us when we least expect it.
Totally agree. While the team Wasps still have a team playing, we cannot become arrogant like some posts on here. We are better than Wasps, but should have won better yesterday. Lets hope we don't have to eat our words....
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I wonder how a certain Mr Varndel is feeling. He was a great finisher on dry grounds for us, but he never had an all round game, kicking and defence being obvious 'improvement' areas. I loved watching him in full flight but letting him go was not a bad decision.

However he must feel now he would have been better off improving his skills and fighting for a place with us that his current plight at Wasps.

He will be out to prove something on Saturday (assuming he starts) but I doubt he will see as much ball as he did when Smith was his outside centre (and reputedly would not pass to him!).
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

tigerburnie wrote:I'll not gloat just yet as they have a habit of stinging us when we least expect it.
Quite right. A set of players that know they will need to get a new contract over the next 6 months will be very motivated.
GEH

Post by GEH »

Re the arogance comment Wasps have shown their fair share in the past - rememeber the negative comments about the Leicester area plus retaiining the name London Wassps after they moved out of the capital - at least the Wimbldon soccer club changed their name when they moved to MK.
Agree with the 'no mercy' line though - we need every point (particularly after missing the try bonus on Sunday) just look at our fixtures during the 6 nations!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

IIRC, Wasps did change their name when they moved to Wycombe as it was only then that they assumed the prefix "London". This re-branding was clearly an attempt to retain some connection to the capital. To me though, they will always be Wycombe Wasps (while they exist).
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

GEH wrote:we need every point (particularly after missing the try bonus on Sunday) just look at our fixtures during the 6 nations!
We only have four games during the 6N (ignoring LV) :
Chiefs away
Saffas
Falcons
Glaws home

The last two we should win, the first two probably not - only the Exeter result will likely be influenced by the 6N taking our players.....

What chance the England set up giving us our players back for the "rest week" game against the Saffas ?? - thought not :smt012

We have two potentially huge away games in April against Saints & Quins and a bigger game next Friday against Ulster to worry about.
Still, 5 points against the Pests on Saturday would be very welcome in trying to secure our top four place .....

Come on Tigers :smt026
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

I am a little ashamed that so many Tigers fans wish ill of Wasps. I by no means see the wasps as a team I ever want to win, but they are still part of the rugby family and I hope the club gets a new buyer. Yes the history between the clubs has been a little tense of late and perhaps a few seasons in a lower division might be the making of them (look at Saints and Quins) but to wish that they disapear is a little OTT. They are not the club they once were and if Newcastle string a few games together as they always do then they will be close to the drop. However, if the Wasps go down, then its not just the players and fans that suffer, financially it meeans that all employers whether that is medical staff, bar staff or the team laundrette will also suffer, adding to the struggle of living in this difficult time.

I for one hope (london) Wasps get some help and survive liquidation! Get behind the rugby family!
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I am no fan of Wasps but I do not wish them out of existance. We need a vibrant, well supported league with strong teams to prosper ourselves. Our history with Wasps is what brings the crowds to the next match and the TV money. If the league turns into a simple 4 horse race to the semi-fnals with a distance to the other 8 teams then we lose too. I see in the Rabo league teams putting out second XV's for away matches because it is not a serious league and teams are happy to lose games. How many would turn up to see us play a second XV from say, Bath or Glaws.

We have a lot to be grateful for due to Tigers management/Directors and the support base getting it right over the last 15 years, but lets not gloat on others mistakes, because we do so at our peril.

I would prefer to be playing Wasps and taking 5 points and recalling epic battles in the past, than say, Bedford, next year.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Conversely, if Newcastle stay up at the expense of Wasps and, say, Cornish Pirates came up, think of the boost that would give to Cornish rugby. This is an area wher rugby gets good support but has never managed to put together a 1st class team - that would be great for the county (including employment prospects) and I'd be happy to see Wasps drop a league for that.

You would then have premiership teams from both extreme ends of England, a nice thought.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I dont think any Tigers fan would want Wasps to disappear as a club, but a drop down a division would be nice! In fact looking at their forum, its their fans who seem to think they will disappear.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

It would be par for the course for the damn Pests to turn up this weekend and spring a suprise. Sarries got stung on the opening day of the season and so we should be wary. Wasps still have some fine players the likes of Webber, Wentzel, Launchberry, Simpson, Flutey, Wade etc. They will not concede tries easily and we will have to keep our defensive shape better than we did against Sale as there is serious pace in this Wasps team.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Just don't kick the ball away to them all the time.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Having suffered the ignomy of watching Saffas rub our noses in it, with the game now being 'professional' we must be thoroughly ruthless to whichever team is unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end.

BTW it has been confirmed that Christian Wade won't be playing on Saturday.