Is there any point in UK being in the EU?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Is there any point in UK being in the EU?

Post by Kinoulton »

A) We already have a decent relationship and share a common language with USA which is still currently the biggest economy.

B) There is a massive skills transfer between the UK and the countries of the Indian sub continent, which is set to become a World superpower within a couple of decades.

C) Whatever you think of the UK's input to the Gulf wars and the war in Afghanistan, all Europeans seem to be happy for UK, Canada and USA to fight the fight, whilst the EU sends out the equivalent of Belgian lollipop ladies with instructions to run away if things get nasty.

D) We share an immense international culture also with NZ, Australia, South Africa, Canada, USA, India, Nigeria etc. I've worked in many of those countries as a typically normal Brit with no language skills, have been effective from Day One, and didn't have to learn a new foreign language, or where not to point my toes, or how much I should bung the potential buyer in order to get the contract.

E) The UK and USA have contributed massively to their own economic downfall by building a ridiculously over complicated monetary system run almost entirely by computers with "artificial intelligence" (i.e. the limited intelligence of the geeks who wrote the code) which meant that people thought they were making money by shares dropping in value, which works for a bit until there isn't any money anymore. However, we have admitted our guilt, and taken action, whilst the EU dithers around like a PTA committee discussing what sort of crisps should go to the kiddies' picnic.

F) We've always fought against Spain, France, Italy, Germany etc. And it's not always us that starts it.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Is there any point in UK being in the EU?

Post by tigerburnie »

I hear your sentiments and I did go out and campaign against joining when involved in politics in Leicester.Big business,e.g. Japaneese car plants,would vanish if we left.Now I can see the current united states of europe imploding in the next 12 to 18 months,so we will probably be about the only country coming out smelling of roses as we're not in the euro.
I'd bide my time and not squander any of out money propping them up,whilst making symathetic noises(typical politician stance really).We don't seem to be in a position to lose anything,but could gain when the contracts are alloted to sweep up the mess.(Bit like the yanks do after they've invaded somewhere)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Kinoulton wrote:A)

F) We've always fought against Spain, France, Italy, Germany etc. And it's not always us that starts it.
You started every war against France and Napoleon was a great statesman, although his views on democracy were questionable. :smt003
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

Dear Kinoulton

I enjoy your posts, but you have made an error when you say "all europeans" are happy for the UK to do the fighting in Afghanistan. It's not something that is reported in the media here, but Poland has a sizeable contingent in Afghanistan and they have suffered fatal casualties, including 5 troops killed in a single incident before Christmas. You're a great guy though :smt001
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:

You started every war against France and Napoleon was a great statesman, although his views on democracy were questionable. :smt003

ZSF may I recommend this web page as a rather amusing view of French warfare?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Zdzislaw wrote:Dear Kinoulton

I enjoy your posts, but you have made an error when you say "all europeans" are happy for the UK to do the fighting in Afghanistan. It's not something that is reported in the media here, but Poland has a sizeable contingent in Afghanistan and they have suffered fatal casualties, including 5 troops killed in a single incident before Christmas. You're a great guy though :smt001
You're correct and I was wrong. Sorry.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Rizzo wrote:
Ze Stade Fan wrote:

ZSF may I recommend this web page as a rather amusing view of French warfare?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html
Ouch, Rizzo, I resent that! :smt003
When we'll get the heck out of Afghanistan, I'm impatient to read about how the Brits won there and we French lost on the same field of operations. :smt003
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Very funny.

And it also reminded me of the Simpsons episode when they referred to the 100 Years War as "Operation Swift Resolution".
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Is there any point in the UK? Independence for Scotland!
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

But an independent Scotland would be running straight back into the EU and probably joining the Euro.

You'd be better off being the 51st State of the USA.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

ANYTHING but the USA please!!! :smt084

Scotland has a very much improved infrastructure as a result of EU funding. :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Kinoulton wrote:But an independent Scotland would be running straight back into the EU and probably joining the Euro.

Currently, the front runner in the US presidential candidate race and all his chums make great capital out of deriding Europe. And by Europe, they also mean the UK. The US special relationship ceased to be special when Woodrow Wilson had a declared war aim of weakening the British Empire. President Kennedy's father didn't want to join in WW2 but, if the US had to, then please could they do it after Hitler had beaten Britain.

This attitude is more common than many in the UK realise. There is no future there for us. The trouble is, most of Europe dislike us as well for our Protestant/ Imperial past.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Kinoulton wrote:But an independent Scotland would be running straight back into the EU and probably joining the Euro.

Not necessarily. There's a growing movement for following the Norwegian model - within the EEA, outwith the EU.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Quite right Biffer, the possibility of an Independent Scotland joining a Scandinavian economic community has already been openly discussed.

For southerners ( :smt002 ), it might be worth pointing out that many Scots trace their ancestry back to Scandinavia, and that the North, Orkney and the Northern Isles are geographically closer to Scandinavia than they are to London, and even England.

There is a bright future for and independent Scotland.
Valhalla I am coming!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

And Dover is closer to France than it is to Scotland. So what? We still like the Scots better than we like the French.

This is the odd thing. Just as we enter an era of fast trains, fast planes, email, internet, free Skype, and e-commerce, suddenly people decide it's important to unite with our European neighbours.

Why?

Are we going to wind the clock back several centuries and start delivering goods and messages by sailing ship, making trade with USA, India and Australia impossible all of a sudden?

And why is it important that we deal with people who share a similar ancestory? My family have been simple farm hands in the Vale of Belvoir for as far back as anyone can trace, at least 500 years, and I'm quite proud of that. But I'm not going to restrict my trading patch to Tithby and Colston Bassett.