Disciplinary hearings - Ashton cited. ALL THREADS MERGED.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Disciplinary hearings - Ashton cited. ALL THREADS MERGED.

Post by bluntiger »

rdracup wrote:The East Midlands is the rugby capital of England and Saints can continue to help support us in keeping it that way! The one side I would like to play most (and beat) at HQ in May is Saints. It would be a far better day out than with Sarries or Quins.
Me too, but that is because their supporters are fantastic and turn out in numbers. The big difference between us and Saints is that their 'culture' in the squad is vastly different. We have no 'superstars', we simply don't allow them to get above their station. Saints seem to promote the 'superstar' culture and as I said, with Ashton, Hartley, Foden and Lawes at the centre of it.

Also, I have to say that if England had had a forward sent off and had not replaced him immediately and England had conceded 12 points as a direct result and then gone on to lose a game by 5 points, everyone would have said how naive Johnno is and how his lack of experience was catastrophic. Jim Mallinder, step forward as the next England manager!
Nick Mallet is also being touted, the same guy who chose a flanker to play scrum-half. Top coaching team that!
Always a Tiger
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

rdracup wrote:The East Midlands is the rugby capital of England and Saints can continue to help support us in keeping it that way! The one side I would like to play most (and beat) at HQ in May is Saints. It would be a far better day out than with Sarries or Quins.
Me too, but that is because their supporters are fantastic and turn out in numbers. The big difference between us and Saints is that their 'culture' in the squad is vastly different. We have no 'superstars', we simply don't allow them to get above their station. Saints seem to promote the 'superstar' culture and as I said, with Ashton, Hartley, Foden and Lawes at the centre of it.

Also, I have to say that if England had had a forward sent off and had not replaced him immediately and England had conceded 12 points as a direct result and then gone on to lose a game by 5 points, everyone would have said how naive Johnno is and how his lack of experience was catastrophic. Jim Mallinder, step forward as the next England manager!
Nick Mallet is also being touted, the same guy who chose a flanker to play scrum-half. Top coaching team that!
Always a Tiger
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I am sure after the Little ms Rizzo had merged the threads and removed duplicate threads, I am sure she didnt want the same posting twice in a row.. Bluntiger
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Richard wrote:I am sure after the Little ms Rizzo had merged the threads and removed duplicate threads, I am sure she didnt want the same posting twice in a row.. Bluntiger
Not intentional I assure you but sometime when you hit 'submit' nothing happens ... so I hit submit again!
Always a Tiger
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

bluntiger wrote:Not intentional I assure you but sometime when you hit 'submit' nothing happens ... so I hit submit again!
You can always delete the repeated message as long as you do it before someone replies to it.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

Interview with Mallinder on the punishment handed out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 074582.stm

Worth clicking on the link just for the look on Mallinder's face on the video.

A bit dissapointing that he seems to think Ashton did nothing wrong though.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Ashton cited

Post by DickyP »

BJ. wrote:
Old Hob wrote:Don't know why the pongos deserve any credit.
Especially when dear Jeff is ex-Navy.
I don't know either in this context: however, they do have to be credited with not being Navy, I suppose! :smt003 (said as an ex-soldier, of course)
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jims face, what a picture, he must just have had a flashback to Horacio's try!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Jim Mallinder - Ashton Punishment Harsh

Post by tigermad »

:smt024 :smt024

My jaw just dropped when I read this on the BBC website that Jim Mallinder considers punishment handed down to Chris as harsh. Pot, kettle and black. Was he watching the same game as me? and 24,000 fans who saw what Chris did to Alesana? I was taught you are answerable for your actions, regardless of who you are or think you are in the case of Chris Ashton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 074582.stm

Move on guys.
Philip J Gray
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Jim Mallinder - Ashton Punishment Harsh

Post by DickyP »

Must admit I agree with Jim: yes, Chris Ashton deserved a ban (had to in order to give any credibility to the disciplinary process) but 4 weeks is probably double what it actually deserved.

Nevertheless, as I always say, if you get involved in a disciplinary hearing and you're guilty then you get what you are given and consider yourself lucky if you don't get the book thrown at you. It could have been a lot worse.

What price the RFU now add something about hair-pulling to the regs?

Oh and whilst they're at it they better add scratching and handbag swinging as well.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I think it is a real shame the way things are going for Ashton. He was playing fantastic rugby a year ago, and somehow he has allowed himself to become sidetracked with all this petulance and off field stuff. I dont think he is the brightest of lads, and you cant help but thinking he is getting roped in by association with a group of youngish players who think they have made it. (Haskell, Hartley, Foden etc).

I hope somebody can get hold of him and get him back on track, as i think any rugby fan would like to see him playing and scoring tries like he was in late 2010.
alex_111
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by alex_111 »

No doubt had he pleaded guilty he would have got a shorter ban, his own fault really. Everyone knows how the process works (rightly or wrongly) clean record + guilty plea = shorter ban. The footage clearly showed that he had pulled Tuilagi's hair so he deserves everything he gets.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I do wonder about what this says about Mallinder. The Northampton crew seemed to be at the heart of all that was wrong at the RWC. If I were selecting the next England leader this latest outburst would make me think about scrubbing Jim's name off the list.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

The last 2 games at WR vs Northampton have been the best 2 games of club rugby i have seen for a long time. Proper hard nosed rugby, with two teams going full tilt for their teams.

In an era when some many games have become completely bland, these 2 games have stood out a mile and both clubs deserve credit for that.

The games have had everything. Great tries, technical skills, confrontation. Everything a true rugby fan could want.

Yet the focus is on one player pulling somebody elses hair. I think thats a bit sad really.