Thoughts on England v Argentina...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Re: Thoughts on England v Argentina...

Post by GS »

I'm sorry, but I have to speak up for Bryce Lawrence. I takes a genius playing at his best to make Chris White look first rate.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I actually think today proved more that it is Youngs that is the elctric one not Flood. Flood looked poor playing with Wigglesworth and Care in Cardiff and Youngs and Jonny have hardly played together, they should be the pairning in my opinion. So Wilkinson had an off day with the boot? We won and I would bet all my money he wont again in this world cup.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

In my opinion, it's not Jonny's bad day with the boot that means he shouldn't be starting. It's the fact that even when he is kicking well, he offers very little else.

He might have passed a lot, but it was always from a deep position, well behind the gainline.

When was the last time the England backs looked dangerous with Jonny at 10?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Maximus66 wrote:Whilst I admire Wilkinson's doggedness in backing himself even though he repeatedly missed penalties, he should also have had the nous to back his team-mates by kicking for touch. I realise that on occasions penalty taking is the only appropriate option, but it was frustrating that he couldn't see another option was required.
The one occasion he did this resulted in Englands snappy try by Ben Youngs :smt023 . The next penalty awarded to us he elected to go for the posts and missed :smt011 .
Good example, but should this not be down to the team captain to decide? The leader on the field? i.e. Mike Tindall. Naturally JW, or ANY Fly Half will say they can kick it, the captain should step up to the plate and take the decision, as you quite rightly say, the occasion they kicked for the corner and took the line-out drive they were far more effective. I think this was more a case of Tindall telling JW to go for posts rather than JW himself taking the initiative.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Duncan B wrote:.......his goal kicking was poor but you just know it will never happen again.

Do we really? Nothing is set in stone.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

[quote="Duncan B"]I actually think today proved more that it is Youngs that is the elctric one not Flood. =quote]

Electric may have been a bit strong. The point I was trying to make is that it would be nice to see them perform like they did at the beginning of the 6 Nations.
I'm nothing if not an optimist :smt002
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www1.skysports.com/rugbyworldcup ... 05/7167759

From Sky Sports. JW first to criticise himself, though he does say that he refuses to blame external influences, ball, roof etc. Does also mention the decisions to kick to corner or go for the posts.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I just find it bonkers that people are suggesting after one bad day with the boot he isnt still one of the best, if not the best around. :smt012
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think people are more frustrated that Flood wasn't brought on. As Wilkinson you have to say almost certainly would have if Flood had started and had a mare. Players have off days, but they should still be accountable for their mistakes. Also, surely it would be fair to give Flood a chance to stake a claim in the next match? Especially as Youngs is fit.

I would also go agree with the myth of Wilkinson's form that the media has created. He didn't really impress me too much in either of the warm up games he started. Mind you, neither did Flood, but he did have Hopeless to work with.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Whether JW is still the best or not, it is staggering that he was not substituted in this game.

Apart from his place kicking, his game management was poor, as it always seems to be unless he has a "Catt" outside at 12, and England do not have one on the bus. When his boot is on form, yes, he keeps the scoreboard ticking over, but so does Flood, who also offers better attacking options.

Johno's predilection with sticking to the his tried and tested tactics doesn't seem to be the way forward to a successful WC for England.

Horatio played well'though! :smt002

(So why do we see so little of him at WR?)
Valhalla I am coming!
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I made similar comments on here before the game too. There is no point in the last 2 and a half years where I've believed Wilkinson is a better fly half than Flood. I remain of that opinion. I think Flood is grossly underrated and, to be brutal, that Wilkinson is greatly overrated based on what he actually contributes these days, which to my mind is relatively little.

He simply doesn't threaten the gain line, and to create space and win top quality games these days your fly half needs to occupy the opposition defence.

I'm happy to be proven wrong later in the tournament, but I've seen nothing from Wilko in the last 3 years to suggest that I will be.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Surprised noone has mentioned how disappointing croft has been for a long time. Only lawes and Haskell really impressing in the back 5 of the pack at the moment, which is why we were poor today. The backs had hardly any ball.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

1) YBY nearly ran out the back of the touch area for his try. Why? Couldnt be that he didnt trust Wilko to kick the conversion from any wide, could it? :-)

2) The Argentinian Fans were superb!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Duncan B wrote:Surprised noone has mentioned how disappointing croft has been for a long time. Only lawes and Haskell really impressing in the back 5 of the pack at the moment, which is why we were poor today. The backs had hardly any ball.
Croft has never really been outstanding in an england shirt. Always solid in the air but has never reached the heights of his performance for the lions. I think its the way we try to use him both at tigers and england, somebody should ask Geech how he got those performances out of him.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Surprised noone has mentioned how disappointing croft has been for a long time.
Sorry I can't agree with that. Croft really puts himself about and we were all commenting on how well he was playing.

You must have been watching another game.
A life long Tiger