Are Tigers due a new home kit??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DCat
Super User
Super User

Re: Are Tigers due a new home kit??

Post by DCat »

Assuming a bit there aren't you, PostTiger?

Like the new shirt, though.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Shade of green. I too prefer the trad lighter shade. But have you noticed, all green-wearing teams seem to have gone 'darker' in recent years? I think it's for telly purposes, to make a better contrast with the grass of the pitch.

The trouble for Tigers is that the red hoop doesn't show up too well against the darker green. The new thin white line will itself be almost unnoticeable both pitchside and on TV, but in effect will highlight the red hoops better. Excellent!

I applaud the bold approach by Tigers in this age of austerity to stick to a tried and tested formula, where you don't feel 'out of date' if you don't want to buy the new shirt if you already have the last one. The extra choice will come with the second change kit (Cup), which is likely to be much more adventurous.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

Im quite glad the home shirt is similar to the last one. I did like that one. Unfortunately mine is now unwearable and has been for about a year and a half - it has Ellis 9 printed on the back :smt002 and is signed by the man himself :smt003 so its hung neatly in a protective cover in my computer room.
I probably am about the only person who really wants the player quality shirt - I had a Nottingham one last season (although clearly the quality isnt as good :smt002) I actually really liked it. I may end up buying both the player quality and the cotton one though..and of course both will have to be printed :smt003
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

hww27, i like the PQ shirts, i got the training top last season, 1st ever PQ shirt and was very impressed. Will be purchasing a PQ shirt this time around.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Hull Fan wrote:hww27, i like the PQ shirts, i got the training top last season, 1st ever PQ shirt and was very impressed. Will be purchasing a PQ shirt this time around.
I would be really interested to find out why you like them so much. They feel like naff polyester to me. Additionally, I wear my shirt at the ground (generally) sitting still unlike the players who are running about (I hope). Does the PQ shirt really do the job for a spectator on a February Friday night at Edgley Park? I am due a new shirt so would be grateful for your comments.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Old Hob, when PQ shirts first came out i was very much against them i'd only ever had a traditional cotton shirt. The only reason i bought a PQ shirt last season was purely because they were the only shirts in the shop at that time, me being very inpatient and living in Hull (only get down to WR 3-4 times a season), wanted to go home with my shirt.
1.When you are wearing them they are very comfortable and don't feel like they are polyester, i've never had a problem with static etc from them.

2.They are equally as warm as the cotton shirts in the winter but seem cooler than cotton in summer. I was wearing my PQ training shirt on tuesday which was a lovely day in Hull and wasn't overly hot.

3. Edgeley Park, well they won't keep you any drier than a cotton shirt.

4. My wife likes the PQ shirts as they don't need ironing after washing. (Please ladies this isn't a sexiest thing i iron as well but it didn't have any bearing on me choosing a PQ shirt).

I honestly don't think i'd go back to a cotton shirt, the only draw back is that they are that bit more expensive. Weighed against that though this training shirt looks the same (virtually) as the day i bought it and it has had alot of use. So may be with the extra cash you do get a shirt that lasts longer and doesn't fade.
Obviously i've only had the one PQ shirt so this may not be representative of everybody. Hope this helps. :smt023
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Hull Fan wrote:l.... shirt looks the same (virtually) as the day i bought it and it has had a lot of use. So may be with the extra cash you do get a shirt that lasts longer and doesn't fade....
The (perfectly valid) comment makes me smile - in the day when I played (sadly a long time ago now) you couldn't wait for your shirt to fade so you didn't look like a rookie.

I've got a couple of player quality shirts (not Tigers) and although they haven't faded etc, I generally still prefer my cotton ones.

I'll be interested to see if the PQ ones really do last longer - I've still got a couple of cotton rugby shirts from my playing days which are going strong - unfortunately it is unlikely I'll be around to see if they last that long!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Thinking on the subject of shirts lasting, i have some traditional colour tigers shirts that aren't to bad. It seems the ones that are fading and dropping to bits are the newer cotton ones. Granted like most people they take some hammer but the old old ones last longer than the new old ones. If you know what i mean.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Thanks for that HF, very helpful. Now, DickyP why do you like the cotton despite having PQ? Other than price, what's the benefit?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I just find them more comfortable - don't particularly like the feel of the PQ ones, which seem to cling more. Happily wear both, however, but I am mean so I'm unlikely to pay £50 for a PQ one when I can get a cotton one rather cheaper. My PQ ones have been presents!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Now that we can see the new shirt a bit more clearly (News: Shop 2011.08.11) I like it even more, the thin green and red lines between the thick hoops. Excellent! The replica (cotton) shirts have the 'Tigers' and 'Cat' embroidered on the collar rather than the shoulder fronts.

Might buy one after all :smt003 Depends on what the new Cup Competition shirt, due to be revealed, looks like.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JWM wrote:Shade of green. I too prefer the trad lighter shade. But have you noticed, all green-wearing teams seem to have gone 'darker' in recent years? I think it's for telly purposes, to make a better contrast with the grass of the pitch.
Probably something to do with the one "dark" kit and one "light" kit regs imposed a few years ago. It's better to make a green based kit the darker one - just look at Northampton's "away" kit! :smt001
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I bought my new shirt today and went for the cotton one above the PQ one but ummed and ahhed over both.. will probably buy the PQ one at a later date. I've compared the new shirt and the old one and can definitely see the difference.. however upon having a good old nosey round the shop one thing did strike me. The training kit... it looks the same as last years! What exactly is the difference??? And I couldnt see any polo shirts... will there be new ones of them as well?? Did hear the shop staff say there would be more stock towards end of September though.
I do love my shirt though :smt003 and the printing of course :smt003 and call me fickle but Im extremely impressed with the posh new black carrier bag!!
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

There are certain you read on this site that you never thought you would ever read anywhere .......................... "It was a lovely day in Hull" ... is one of them!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Now that (360 degree!?) pictures of the non PQ shirt have been released in the new online store, it's good to see that the club appear to have listened, as we don't have the 'orrible stars on the back, and "TIGERS" written on the bum! :smt003