'Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge' new video game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

'Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge' new video game

Post by Duncan B »

I know that others have expressed interest in a next gen rugby game and we are lucky that two are coming out in the coming 2 months (finally!).

Tigers will be officially licensed in the game being made by the NZ developer SIDHE and so far the screenshots and information released seems to suggest that this will be the better game, if you are interested in this game the official website is :

http://rugbychallengegame.com/

By the way I am in no way trying to advertise the game! I just remember a couple of years ago there was a thread asking about when a new one was coming out, well here we go! :smt023

I know some of you with no interest in this will find this very boring, so I apologise in advance! I expect many a :smt015
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 'Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge' new video game

Post by PM76 »

Thanks for the heads up about this game. I am unsure whether to go for the Official world cup game or for the Rugby Challenge one, but am steering towards Rugby Challenge 2011, due to the licensed club sides although it does not have national sides licensed. I will probably wait and see which is better once both are released/ more info known and the prices will also have to be considered!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Yeah I was thinking the same as you because although it doesnt have licensed international teams apart from NZ and AUS, all the players will be on the game as they have them for their club sides, so it will just be the kit that will be unofficial. We will be able to put the official players in the team over the made up ones, and the player editor looks really good too!
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Thank you for that. My son's been after a rugby game for his PS3 for some time and, with his birthday coming up...looks like I'll finally have an excuse to get to grips with his PS3 myself! :smt038
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Will they run on a bog standard PS2?

I only use it for rugby games so there is little point upgrading!
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I highly doubt it!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

jgriffin wrote:What is a PS3? Is it like a P45?
When I was a kid we had to make do with cricket games played with paper and dice or shove-hapenny football.
Or we played playground rugby :axe:
Its Subuteo basically.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

[quote="jgriffin"]What is a PS3? Is it like a P45?
When I was a kid we had to make do with cricket games played with paper and dice or shove-hapenny football.
Or we played playground rugby [/quote]

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Yes, I've had that conversation with my kids - they just kind of look at you with a mixture of contempt and pity in their eyes; when Dad starts any sentence with "in my day..." they glaze over. That said, at least my lad does get out every Sunday and play proper rugby. I think that's why he'd love a game for his PS3. It would make a change from all the football games he's got!
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I have been after a rugby game for PS3 for ages. Then two come along at once. Rugby Challenge looks good and although Tigers is licenced, this game looks too southern hemisphere orientated.

Looking at the website, the commentary is done by Grant Nesbitt & Justin Marshall, both New Zealanders and their are 31 stadiums used, made up of 14 in NZ, 6 in Aus, 5 in SA and only 6 in the whole of Europe. You may well be able to play as Tigers, but it will be doubtful if you can play at Welford Road.

Even though Tigers won't feature in Rugby World Cup 2011, I think this is the game I will be going for..... initially anyway.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

rich1576 wrote:I have been after a rugby game for PS3 for ages. Then two come along at once. Rugby Challenge looks good and although Tigers is licenced, this game looks too southern hemisphere orientated.

Looking at the website, the commentary is done by Grant Nesbitt & Justin Marshall, both New Zealanders and their are 31 stadiums used, made up of 14 in NZ, 6 in Aus, 5 in SA and only 6 in the whole of Europe. You may well be able to play as Tigers, but it will be doubtful if you can play at Welford Road.

Even though Tigers won't feature in Rugby World Cup 2011, I think this is the game I will be going for..... initially anyway.
Nah, but playing at Welford Road wouldn't overally worry me, as I'd imagine there'd be some made up stadia like on Fifa, it'll be nice to play a game with the current tigers set up.

I'm gonna rent them both first, and see which is best.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Comparing the leaked video of RC and the screenshots with the RWC screenshots the RC looks a hell of a lot better. And the only real thing missing from Rugby Challenge will be the shirts, as they have all the England players licensed through their clubs!
JRB Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JRB Tiger »

For those interested, the first official trailer is out for the game on their facebook page below:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 4400114455

Few shots of Tigers players, and hopefully it will be as good as it looks.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Toby looks absolutely stacked! He will be very pleased with that!
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Duncan B wrote:Toby looks absolutely stacked! He will be very pleased with that!
I thought it was Newby at first! Toby's obviously slipped them a couple of quid to beef his character up.

Looks amazing and I'm well excited for it. I'm tired of rubbish Quade Cooper and Tom Croft on Rugby 08 and I need to fully retire the ol' PS2 before it splutters its last. It's been looking nervously at the 360 for a couple of years now, so I feel it's only fair to put it out of its misery now that JL:RC is coming along.