Stadium announced for 2015 world cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Stadium announced for 2015 world cup

Post by kingol22 »

Another stadium has been added to the schedule for the world cup in england.
The millennium stadium. Why are we giving out games to wales if the are looking for venues they should use places like old trafford to spread the game where it is weak rather than give games to wales.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stadium announced for 2015 world cup

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Not after the behaviour of the crowd at the last game of Rugby that I watched at Old Trafford.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:Not after the behaviour of the crowd at the last game of Rugby that I watched at Old Trafford.
Which was that? The last one I went to there was the England v Argentina international in June 09 and I didn't see any trouble although I did try to shop Manchester United. Before the match, we were under the South Stand watching some Sky Sports programme on the TV screens. I noticed the domestic red dot in the bottom right corner of the screen as opposed to the commercial beer glass symbol. I emailed Sky about this and did receive an acknowledgement and a promise they would chase it up. I assume nothing came of it but I do know of at least two pubs in Belper that were nicked for showing Sky in the bar that was fed from their domestic box upstairs. One was fined £1500 - I don't know what the other got.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I too think it is wrong to use the Millennium Stadium. We have sufficient stadia in England to accommodate all the matches. Don't forget a lot of the pool matches take place mid-week so there's a good chance some of the larger football stadia would be available.

I hate the politics that are played by the Celtic nations if another European country bids to host the RWC, i.e. they'll vote for you as long as they can have a prime match in their national stadium.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

when Wales hosted the World cup , did England not get any games ?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="mightymouse"]when Wales hosted the World cup , did England not get any games ?[/quote]

They did, but that was a joint bid, led by Wales, 2015 cup is not a joint bid.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

Have any other stadiums already been confirmed?
7 years so far..
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

This is stupid in my opinion, why would we give wales a stadium in the world cup when the world cup is being staged in england? One of the secondary bonuses of having a world cup in your own is that it benefits your country's economy, not the welsh economy
Additionally, if Wales get to play any of their games there it means they will gain home advantage! :smt017 The decision becomes more ridiculous as I think about it more :smt038
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

captain_insaino wrote:The decision becomes more ridiculous as I think about it more :smt038
Indeed.

However, it's the usual thing. Countries that don't have the stadia and general infrastructure to host a RWC hold nearby bidding nations to ransom, i.e. if you don't give us at least one plum fixture (us versus the top seed in our group at our national stadium), we'll vote for someone else. Look at RWC2007, Wales had Australia at the Millennium Stadium and Scotland had the ABs at Murrayfield.

We have sufficient stadia with adequate capacity wholly within England to stage RWC2015 so why do we need to go to Cardiff? Looking at the usual transport fiasco that surrounds Cardiff railway station whenever a big match is on, it's even more reason to keep all the games this side of the dyke.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Might money be involved?

And if Cardiff why not Edingburgh and Dublin - and even Paris?

Once again the RFU act with lack of transparency.
Still keeping the faith!
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Fantastic news the best stadium in Britain and possibly in Norther Hemi. Cardiff is also the best venue with all those pubs jsut yards away heaven. a ground and a city with reral atmosphere unlike Twickers terrible atmosphere, terrible place to get too.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's 16 years since Will Carling referred to the RFU Executive as "57 old f**ts".

It really doesn't seem as though much has changed, does it?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

I am sure I heard somewhere in the voting that we would use a Welsh Stadia in order to gain their vote to host the World Cup. Not sure of the truth in this. Also, was it not agreed that we would play Scotland in a friendly in Scotland to raise money for the SRFU in return for their vote?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Looking forward to learning what game we get at WR. The last time you will recall we had NZ v Italy and the latter used my junior club Vipers for training. I still recall their 6' 6'' lock carrying what is now my grown up son on his shoulders when we went to watch them training the Saturday morning. Needless to say we were all shouting for the Italians when it came to the game, not that it did much good :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

The announcement mentioned a number of football grounds but the only club rugby grounds mentioned were Welford Road and Kingsholm. I couldn't see Watford on the list but I presume that was a mere oversight!

I personally can't see why places like Franklins Gardens, Sixways, Sandy Park etc aren't on because I think that they are the right size for some of the "lesser" games where the crowd will be lost in, for example, St.James Park or Old Trafford. Unless Welford Road and Kingsholm are there specifically to hold Georgia v Spain and USA v Uruguay?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Stu_F wrote:. I couldn't see Watford on the list but I presume that was a mere oversight!

?
You mean the 10000 capacity ground in Barnet???
Still keeping the faith!