Cockers & Oconnor behaviour

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cockers & Oconnor behaviour

Post by mike »

What about the roof of the Crumbie where the TV Cameras used(?) to be - he can swear and wave his arms about all he likes up there .
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Too many people on this thread are missing the point. By all means in the future find a better location for the coaches to rant and rave if that's what the Club really believe is the solution - personally I'm not so sure.

Ackford has taken a lot of stick on this thread but he's only one of many journos that highlighted the incident - see the article below from Brendan Gallagher in the Telegraph this morning, pretty damning, Brian Moore was also not far behind. Please don't try and say that all rugby journalists are anti Leicester, that's pushing it too far!

A fantastic team performance has been partly spoiled by the petulant behaviour of our two coaches, who we should not be making excuses for in these circumstances. I hope the Club deal with this appropriately without waiting for the inevitable RFU hearing....

(I've deleted the comments on Manu, they are dealt with on another thread and in my opinion his mistake will be rightly punished, he will learn from missing the final and the vilification he's receiving is way OTT. )

Gallagher wrote:-
"Leicester Tigers face action over behaviour in Aviva Premiership semi-final against Northampton Saints
Leicester may have claimed a play-off semi-final win over bitter rivals Northampton on Saturday but the week ahead is likely to bring nothing but woe and strife for the Tigers and, frankly, there will be precious little sympathy around the country.

Out of order: Manu Tuilagi (right) could find himself in trouble following his assault on Chris Ashton Photo: PA By Brendan Gallagher 7:11PM BST 15 May 2011

Centre Manu Tuilagi, definitely, and director of rugby Richard Cockerill, almost certainly, are both looking at serious disciplinary action after a match which brought out the best and the very worst in England’s premier team.

‘Immature’ and ’wild’ apply equally to Tigers’ director of rugby, Richard Cockerill, whose gesticulating and verbal baiting of referees’ assessor Brian Campsall — and the officials actually on the pitch — was unpleasant and totally unacceptable. His assistant, Matt O’Connor, was not far behind either.

Cockerill is a passionate rugby man and can be engaging company before and after a game but he frequently loses the plot during the actual 80 minutes of rugby. Saturday was a long way from being a one-off, having received an official letter for warning from RFU Disciplinary officer Jeff Blackett following the play-off game against Bath last season.

If Cockerill wants to behave like that, he should do what Andy Robinson does with Scotland and lock himself away in a soundproof hospitality box where he can curse and rant at people to his heart’s content and cause less offence.

And people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Just over a year ago Leicester were very prickly about another passionate coach — Saracens’ Brendan Venter — voicing his opinions and possibly obstructing the view of some spectators in the same small area of the old stand at Welford Road where fans, press, coaches, guests, video analysts and visiting England coaches are all crushed into a very confined space, with predictable chaos.

Venter received a stinging 10-week ban on that occasion and was barred even from going to Twickenham to watch his side play in the Premiership Final. It is Cockerill who must be put in the dock now and the penalty could be along the same lines.

Just to add to Leicester’s shame, near-anarchy also reigned yet again down at the dugout where their replacements and assistant coaches and who knows who else sprawl out of control along the touchline. Any junior club in the country would automatically be docked League points if that area wasn’t roped off and controlled but Leicester just go their own way.

It’s a shambles and Leicester President Peter Tom had the decency to be shamefaced and embarrassed on Saturday night when he admitted that the club, who have spent tens of millions recently on other parts of the stadium, had promised to upgrade and revamp the technical area immediately as a result of the ’Venter incident’, but that the club had in fact failed to do anything at all. Leicester are a great club and have much to be proud about. But not on Saturday."
Soggypitch
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

If Cockers gets himself banned he needs a slap, we were :censored: last year when he was banned.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I wonder if Cockerill and O'Conner behaved like that when the Directors' Box was directly in front of them? I think not - it would not have been tolerated in front of directors, sponsors and their guests.

So is it ok in front of anyone else?
Valhalla I am coming!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

It's not that often that a game is played with that much passion and intensity and unfortunately Manu's youth let him down and he lost it. He will be punished and rightly so. All the other players kept their control, mostly, and that's why it was such a great game. The spectators keep control or are reprimanded, mostly, that's what make the watching the game so great. I do not accept the argument that Cockerill should be locked in a playpen somewhere so he can lose control.

Manu's indiscipline will cost him his first final at Twickers, but he will be replaced and the team will work around it. Cockers will miss the final and, as has been said, we were rubbish last time it happened.

The playpen approach is condoning lack of control and the first step on the slippery slope that wendyball went down. How long before every decision by the ref is met by a mob of thugs baying at him to change his mind? (Wait a minute, isn't that almost what's caused this problem?) How long before the RFU has to have a 'Respect' campaign?

Tigers have been used to being disliked for being cynical and successful, I can live with that, I'm sure we will all end up feeling the same about Sarries. I don't want to be hated for being borish louts and thugs. Which is pretty much where we are now.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well said completely agree GS.
Soggypitch
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Bill W (2) wrote: Sit him in the security box. Or the TV box. Or in one of the "hospitality" boxes in the Goldsmiths Stand. Or in the "posh" bit of the Clubhouse Stand. Or on the top deck of the Caterpillar. Or next to me on the back row of the Crumbie - I doubt that we will be offended by his language and if we are we will tell him.

Just nowhere near the Refs Assessor and Paul Ackford.

:smt023
These options are presumably already available to Cockers. I very much doubt that he sits in the dugout because he has to. Therefore the choice is simple. If he wants to sit in the dugout so he can manage his players during the game, he must keep it clean and behave sensibly. If he can't manage this, he can't complain about getting banned and he should be forced to sit elsewhere (although I too feel a little cautious about condoning lack of control). I know he's passionate etc etc etc but we really were all up in arms about Venter when he was in a similar bit of trouble. The fact is, Cockerill and O'Connor are paid professionals and behaviour like this is not good PR for the club. It should not be too much to ask that they learn to control themselves.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigerAlex wrote:. I very much doubt that he sits in the dugout because he has to. Therefore the choice is simple. If he wants to sit in the dugout so he can manage his players during the game, he must keep it clean and behave sensibly. .
I don't think he was sitting in the dugout.

I think he was sitting in the "Press Box" which is how Ackford heard his comments.

Cockers has a radio link to Paul Burke who sits in the dugout.
Still keeping the faith!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Bill W (2) wrote:
TigerAlex wrote:. I very much doubt that he sits in the dugout because he has to. Therefore the choice is simple. If he wants to sit in the dugout so he can manage his players during the game, he must keep it clean and behave sensibly. .
I don't think he was sitting in the dugout.

I think he was sitting in the "Press Box" which is how Ackford heard his comments.

Cockers has a radio link to Paul Burke who sits in the dugout.
Fair enough- I thought he went up and down between the two. Probably mistaken though- I had a really juddering feed for the game. Either way, the sentiment is the same. He's there more or less because he chooses to be, if as you said in an earlier post, he could go and sit in the commentary box or in a hospitality box on his own where he would be free to swear as much as he likes.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigerAlex wrote: He's there more or less because he chooses to be, .
Indeed. He may well be about to lose that freedom of choice.
Still keeping the faith!
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I will stand corrected, but I have not read anywhere that has said RC or MO'C were swearing all I have read is loud remarks & "Purple faces of rage" As far as MR V was concerned my understanding was not only was he getting way out of control but that he kept standing up so the supporters around could not see the game & when asked to sit down he ignored these requests.

Quite different than what I understand happened on saturday mainly that the dainty ears of journalists like the sunday school pair of Paul Ackford & Brian Moore (perhaps they would better off in a sound proof box!) were shocked to hear and see both RC & MO'C get excited about the important game in front of them.

Get over yourselves its a game which in its support gets people involved both from staff & the fans alike & long may it be that way.
COME ON TIGERS!!!
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Qbec wrote:I will stand corrected, but I have not read anywhere that has said RC or MO'C were swearing all I have read is loud remarks & "Purple faces of rage"
The strongest reported comment (by Ackford) is "Again, its not :censored: good enough!" His main complaint (Ackfords) is that this was adressed to (or at) the referees assessor Brian Campsell.
Still keeping the faith!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The use of the word ":censored:" is obviously highly offensive to PC plod Ackford - something akin to a hate crime apparently. And god forbid if you have a purple face - Keep taking the blood pressure tabs Matt
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Bill W.
I was referring to the statement made by Brendan Gallagher in the Telegraph this morning "If Cockerill wants to behave like that, he should do what Andy Robinson does with Scotland and lock himself away in a soundproof hospitality box where he can curse and rant at people to his heart’s content and cause less offence."
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Qbec wrote:Bill W.
I was referring to the statement made by Brendan Gallagher in the Telegraph this morning "If Cockerill wants to behave like that, he should do what Andy Robinson does with Scotland and lock himself away in a soundproof hospitality box where he can curse and rant at people to his heart’s content and cause less offence."
Cockers could indeed choose to do this.

And maybe he should.

I have to admit I have been heard to shout (from a position some distance behind Cockers) things like "He's offside again ref". And I may ocasionally insert the odd expletive.

Should I be locked in a soundproof box?
Still keeping the faith!