Should we throw the LI match?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Should we throw the LI match?

Post by Soggypitch »

I would really like to avoid Saints at Welford Rd if at all possible.
Is there a case for playing a 2nd team v Irish, assuming we beat Newcastle and secure a home semi?
LI could easily beat Saints on Saturday (with no LBP to Saints) and therefore if LI beat our 2nd team at Welford Rd, it could knock Saints out of the top 4 altogether.

Now that would be a bonus!!
Soggypitch
micahroni
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Should we throw the LI match?

Post by micahroni »

apart from it being unsportsmanlike, i'd imagine throwing a match is highly illegal
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

No we shouldn't as i would like to think the guys cant get themselves sorted and start playing like we know they can and again finish top then go onto win the title :smt023
Tigers Forever
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

momentum is very important - we are told - so a spanking of the not-nots would set us up nicely for the home semi against whomever it may be :smt023

We should never, ever 'throw' a game :smt018

...but we may occasionally pick sides that we think can 'do a job on the day' :smt003
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ok please don't take things so literally, when I said "throw" I meant rest a few key players and if we lose it may not be so bad....
Soggypitch
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Soggypitch wrote:... and if we lose it may not be so bad....
There is nothing 'not so bad' about losing a game at Welford Road. Purge that thought immediately! :smt018
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

why would we want to avoid a semi against Saints?

1) we can (and have!) on our day beat ANYONE in this league, home away, and at HQ.

2) if Saints are as wonderfuil as everyone paints them to be still, i'd MUCH rather take them onat Welford Road than Twickenham!

I say: Give Reading a good spanking!!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Cant wait til a saints fan reads this thread. The activity levels on their site will overload its server.

Oh, and no, will should not throw a weak team into a game against a possible premiership contender and give them hope. LI need to beat Saints then we smashLI, then Saints, and then we smash Gloucster who inturn have smashed Sarries.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Given our below average performances of late, we should be trying to get back to our winning habits.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ok looks like I'm out voted on this one.
Perhaps it's because I work in the centre of Northampton that I have this obsession with Saints and the thought of losing to them in the semi (or inded the final) just fills me with dread!!
If by any means they fail to make the top 4, my wokday experience would be dramatically improved!
Soggypitch
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

I'd say Saints at Welford Road in a semi-final is far more appealing than Saints at Twickenham. Mind you, if Irish were to pip Northampton to fourth place....
It's only cheating if you get caught.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Oh dear. I think you're giving Saints far too much credit. As good a side as they undoubtedly are, let's not forget what happened the last time they came to Welford Road. They didn't even have the excuse of not having their England contingent.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

There are many on here who have been pleading with Cockers to give the "young guns" game time.

This might be a suitable opportunty, although if they are as good as they are claimed to be they will win!
Still keeping the faith!
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

IMHO Saints at home will be the best chance we have of getting to Twicks simply because of their HC commitments!!
Just noticed Clancy has Saints v Perps & Pearson will be in Dublin for Leins v Toulouse so no bias in refs this time round - Bill!!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Why are people even talking about throwing the game. When on form we are by far and away the best team in England. We should fear no-one at home in the semi's and beat them. We lost at home to Sarries during 6N period narrowly. Glos game was a once in a life-time aberration never to be repeated! Bring 'em on that's what i say. Four game winning streak and we will be Champions of England again :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.