Back row

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Back row

Post by POSTIGER »

...is missing something in my opinion. I think we are missing the talismanic Lewis Moody. We have decent options at 6,7,8 but I think we need a nutcase, a bully, someone who strikes fear into opposition hearts - for all of their qualities none of the current crop do that. We also miss the streetwise savvy that Lewis brought - we've lost the ability to play the ref.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Back row

Post by Bill W (2) »

I agree.

We allow the ref to play two offisde lines.

One for them - two feet in front of the reat most foot, and one for us - two feet behind it!
Still keeping the faith!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

We are lacking a top class 7, a rarity but one we, as a club, have had. Loosing Moody was costly but the cap dictated it Newby and Woods are good but not as good or savvy. Moody would set a defensive line etc. just through his eagerness and others would follow, he was a leader who set the example. Can't see the situation improving next year (cap etc. Have not seen either play but have read high praise for Armes and Everard.) Could it get worse now Herring is off being a top quality openside etc. ????
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Woods at his best is a top class traditional 7. His form in 2009 was awesome. He has been really unfortunate with injuries though, but is starting to play his way back into things.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

It's missing Jeremy Staunton :smt005
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Well Jezza did come on for Crane!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'd love us to re-sign Shane Jennings - we haven't had anyone of his quality since. I appreciate he wanted to go back to Ireland and compete for a place in the national team but IMHO he'd be the best player in the AP if he'd stayed. :smt010
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
WareTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by WareTiger »

Does anyone know who replaced Crane at 8 when Jezza came on?
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

At 1 scrum I saw matt smith packing down on the flank to join TTTE and Newbs.

Obviously trying to emulate his old man :smt027
wolves tigger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by wolves tigger »

:smt038 :smt040
POSTIGER wrote:...is missing something in my opinion. I think we are missing the talismanic Lewis Moody. We have decent options at 6,7,8 but I think we need a nutcase, a bully, someone who strikes fear into opposition hearts - for all of their qualities none of the current crop do that. We also miss the streetwise savvy that Lewis brought - we've lost the ability to play the ref.
:prayer: imho after watching CASTRO :smt038 chase and grab morgan i think he should take over the chasing the high ball job :smt023 , did you see how worked up he was :smt040 Thats what we need ......CASTRO runnning at the full back :smt036 and there f/b thinking oooooooooooo dear here comes castro ......... and then he drops the ball knocks it on we get a penalty floody slots home another 3 points .. :smt038 .....simples .
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

PM76 - Everard is more old school and a bit more of a fetcher, has a decent turn of pace but is still raw and could do with adding some more muscle. Still very young so may need a year or two to develop.

Armes should be given a go this season for me (I'd love to see him on the bench in one of the last two games). Covers 6,7,8 and when I've seen him he is very combative and very agressive at the breakdown. Not a fetcher but he attacks the players around the ball and has excellent balance. Good ball carrier as well and that balance he has allows him to make metres under heavy contact though he's more of a spot the gap and burst through kind of player rather than a Crane who will just wade through tacklers. Only one of two players to come out of the LV game vs the Ospreys with any sort of credit. He scored a damn good try in that game as well.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Armes is injured, unfortunately.

Not that he'd get picked anyway.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

MJ Chairman wrote:At 1 scrum I saw matt smith packing down on the flank to join TTTE and Newbs.

Obviously trying to emulate his old man :smt027
Staunton to FB, Bubbles to wing and Matt Smith to flanker.

Unfortunately this line up didn't remain in the lose which is why Tigers did not want to play it tight in the forwards in the last few minutes as we were a backrow player down
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Matt Smith is 6'3" and 16 stone (at a guess) - he could have mixed in with the forwards easily enough.

Newby is a stand-in 7 this season - he is predominantly a 6 or 8.

I do like the playing style of Tom Wood (Saints) and Andy Saul (Saracens) but I don't suppose either will be coming in our direction! :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
COWLEY72
Tiger Cub

Post by COWLEY72 »

masopa wrote:It's missing Jeremy Staunton :smt005
I wish he had gone missing for the last 3 minutes on Saturday :smt002