Silver Member

Re: Lets talk Glaws

Post by physiodan »

My preferred team for Sat

1. Stankovich
2. Hawkins (deserves a shot go)
3. Castro
4. Slater
5. Croft (Allows Waldrom in the backrow but still the our best lineout option)
6. Waldrom (Continuous threat alonside Crane)
7. Newby (c)
8. Crane
9. Grindal
10. Flood
11. A. Tuilagi (needs to be sent up the middle more as 1st reciever with Manu running off him)
12. Twelvetrees (allow Allen a rest and takes the presure off Floody for kicking distance)
13. M Tuilagi
14. Hamilton (his best position)
15. Agulla (copes well at 15 as he is often dropping back as Scott attacks)
16. Chuter
17. White
18. Cole
19. Skivington/Green - Who ever is fit
20. Mafi
21. Youngs (let him play against tired legs and rekindle that spark that made him England 9)
22. Staunton (needs 1/2 game as not played much recently)
23. Smith/Hipkiss (whoever is fit)
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

That is all true Red Cap but it is a case of insurance, what if injuries strike in the next game? We start losing players to late season injuries it would pay to have the third choice players having seen a little action. Will help for next year when the internationals are away as well.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

physiodan wrote:My preferred team for Sat

1. Stankovich
3. Castro
4. Slater
7. Newby (c)
8. Crane
9. Grindal
10. Flood
11. A. Tuilagi (needs to be sent up the middle more as 1st reciever with Manu running off him)
12. Twelvetrees (allow Allen a rest and takes the presure off Floody for kicking distance)
13. M Tuilagi
16. Chuter
17. White
18. Cole
20. Mafi
21. Youngs (let him play against tired legs and rekindle that spark that made him England 9)

I see your reason behind starting Grindle but he is rubbish, he would struggle to get in a bottom of the table team never a table topping one. Take a chance and if not starting with Harrisson then BY to start and Harrisson on the bench. The only other change i would make is Crane at 5, Croft 6 and TTT 8.
Tigers Forever
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I doubt Cockers will make many changes and looking at last year he only rested players when top spot was secure. The players will all have a weekend off before the final anyway so is a rest now necessary?? I think he wants to top the "league" before going into the playoffs. So we will probably see
1. Stanko
2. Chuter (I would play Hawkins)
3. Castro
4. Slater
5.Mafi
6.Croft
7.Newby
8. Crane (I would play Waldrom)
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. A Tuilagi
12. Allen (I would not mind seeing 12trees though)
13. M Tuilagi ( Has Cockers just given up playing Hipkiss??)
14. Agulla
15 Hamilton
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I, for one, think that this is NOT the game to "rest/rotate" players. Win this one and a home semi is certain whatever we do in the rest of the games. Glaws/sarries and saints all must take points off each other and cant catch us if we win this one. Lose it and 2 of them can so lets make the end of the season of league fixtures a bit easier and rotate/rest/play youngsters over the other 2 games. The only changes I want to see is Waldrom, Hawkins and Castro starting as I am sure they are fit and a good look at the 2nd row selection with regard to who is fit to play. No criticism of Mafi and Slater at all - I thought they stood up well in very difficult circumstances - just play the best available.
Regarding Waldrom - must keep Newby so it would be Crane who gives way for me.
I would then blood the young h/b's in the next two games and rest other key players
Hehehehehehehehe
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Scuba Steve wrote:
physiodan wrote:My preferred team for Sat

1. Stankovich
3. Castro
4. Slater
7. Newby (c)
8. Crane
9. Grindal
10. Flood
13. M Tuilagi
16. Chuter
17. White
18. Cole
20. Mafi

I see your reason behind starting Grindle but he is rubbish, he would struggle to get in a bottom of the table team never a table topping one. Take a chance and if not starting with Harrisson then BY to start and Harrisson on the bench. The only other change i would make is Crane at 5, Croft 6 and TTT 8.
How often has Crane played 5? Croft knows the role better and Crane is needed to link up with Waldrom. Croft doesn't make the same impact on the 2nd phase but does on the 3rd and 4th. Grindal isn't the best, no one disagrees (some may) but if we have a dominant pack then surely he can't be all bad.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The only other change i would make is Crane at 5, Croft 6 and TTT 8.
Why? Crane controls the ball better at the back of the scrum and picks and goes more effectively than Waldrom. Will also stop Waldrom taking stupid tap penalties after we win penalties at scrums in our own half :smt013
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Full strength side for Gloucester, and if we win that the home semi is virtually secured and we can see some squad rotation.

For the last 2 league games, it would be good to see the likes of Chuter, Newby, Youngs, Flood, Allen, Alesana Tuilagi and Hamilton given a game off.

Chuter, Newby, Allen, Alice and Hamilton have all started 23/24 games this season and could probably do with a break to ensure they are fit and recharged before the last couple of games. Youngs and Flood are just so key to the side that the main concern will be avoiding injury (as with Flood last season when he was dropped for the Sarries match). They have also not had a break as a result of internationals. Youngs has started more games than any other Leicester player - 17 starts for us and 9 for England - and deserves a week off.

Regular prop rotation and injuries have allowed plenty of rotation in the rest of the team, so it's just those 7 players who could use time off.

AFTER beating Gloucester:

Falcons / Lon Irish

1. Ayerza / Ayerza
2. Hawkins / Chuter
3. Castro / Castro
4. Deacon / Deacon
5. Mafi / Mafi (depending on Skivington's fitness)
6. Croft / Croft
7. Woods / Newby
8. Crane / Waldrom

9. Grindal / Youngs
10. Flood / Staunton
11. Smith / Smith
12. Twelvetrees / Allen
13. Manu / Manu
14. Alesana / Agulla
15. Agulla / Hamilton

16. Duffey / Hawkins
17. Stankovich / Stankovich
18. Cole / Cole
19. Slater / Slater
20. Waldrom / Crane
21. Harrison / Harrison
22. Staunton / Twelvetrees
23. Forsyth / Forsyth

Enough consistency of selection to keep momentum going but also key players given a break (and a complete break at that - not just shifting to the bench).

Though it might be tempting to pick the stronger team against Falcons, who will still be fighting for survival after their recent loss to Leeds. Irish in the final week might be the easier side if they have little left to play for (stuck outside the top 4 but safely in the top 6, depending on results before then).
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Scuba Steve wrote:I see your reason behind starting Grindle but he is rubbish, he would struggle to get in a bottom of the table team never a table topping one.
He did struggle to get into a bottom of the table side, they were called Newcastle! Welcome Micky Young for next season.
Always a Tiger
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Can somebody please tell me if Skivington is fit or not if not what's the injury
Some time ago I read he had a "Hip-Flexor Problem" but also read from RC that he was fit again.
So what is his status? :smt017
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

sam16111986 wrote:That is all true Red Cap but it is a case of insurance, what if injuries strike in the next game? We start losing players to late season injuries it would pay to have the third choice players having seen a little action. Will help for next year when the internationals are away as well.
I agree entirely, but its not me who has been picking the team and based on Cockers previous team selections I think he will stick with the same players we have seen all season.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Just been reading on the Glaws website that they have had to cancel there 'A' league match against Saffers Monday night due to a significant injury list and the prospect of facing 3 Aviva premiership matches in a row!!!Wonder what sort of team they will send to WR on Saturday? They want to have the injury crisis that we have had all season.Obviously not got the same strength and Quality in depth Tigers have.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Mad_dog
Tiger Cub

Post by Mad_dog »

Should we be doing anything about changing the ref? Apparently it is Mr George Clancy in his second premiership game... :smt009

Iain
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Just been reading on the Glaws website that they have had to cancel there 'A' league match against Saffers Monday night due to a significant injury list and the prospect of facing 3 Aviva premiership matches in a row!
They have got three games in a week and an injury list similar to what we were suffering from earlier in the season. If I were them I'd secure all fit players for the first team games and sack off the A League game. We sent the academy plus Hipkiss to play the Saints Jets in the A League ahead of the Leinster game we were so keen to keep everybody fit.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Very very bored with the continuous mention of the "Dublin hoodoo" for Youngs and Flood. They didn't have their best game against Ireland - agreed, but kind of bounced back in emphatic style at Bath I thought. Quins away was tricky, but they played reasonably well and then there was Leinster. The only people talking about hoodoos and "have they got over the loss in Dublin" are the media. I'm sure that Youngs and Flood have erased this from their minds and, as rugby players say "the next game is the most important" - Gloucester at home.