Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: And that's what happens when you don't give players a go

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Crumblies wrote:
The judge and jury are both called Peter.
At last something we can probably all agree on, and of course KEEP THE FAITH
They can be influenced by pieces of silverware!
did you mean 'pieces of Silverware' or 'pieces of Silver' lets not go there.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt001
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I would rather Billy and manu are the England and Tigers centres now !
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

mike wrote:I would rather Billy and manu are the England and Tigers centres now !
Yes and I bet Bill would like a bunch of cheerleaders dancing naked round him everyday but hey ho we cant always have what we want :smt040
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
mike wrote:I would rather Billy and manu are the England and Tigers centres now !
Yes and I bet Bill would like a bunch of cheerleaders dancing naked round him everyday but hey ho we cant always have what we want :smt040
Oh what a thought! :smt007
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

4071 is 100% correct
Speaking as an ex professional sportsman, the damage ( lack of opportunity ) inflicted by Coaches on different players obviously varies on the recipients individual character and personality------
However it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that anyone eternally kept in reserve will feel hard done by !!
The end result is often a player signing for someone who shows a little bit of luv and affection
RC's man-management leaves a phenomenal amount to be desired!!
12T is obviously talented enough to progress a lot further---let us sincerely hope neither he or Harrison seek pastures anew
It very nearly happened to BY in 2009 -- but an intervention by someone high up got that problem solved
Both 12T and Harrison should have come on much earlier, but in the formers case not necessarily in place of Staunton
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

norfolkexpat wrote:RC's man-management leaves a phenomenal amount to be desired!!
Might I respectfully suggest that this might be something of an overstatement?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

4071 wrote:
TigerAlex wrote: Third, while it is possible that Harrison and Twelvetrees could turn a game and be brilliant, it is just as likely that they'll find the going just as tough as Grindall and Staunton, especially if the offside line is not being policed.
So they could be just as bad, or they could be better. Sounds like a no-risk call to me.
Sorry, but do you actually know what a no-risk call is? We're winning a match. Ok, maybe the players aren't playing well, but we're winning. How is replacing key players no-risk? It would be no-risk if we were losing by more than a losing bonus point because that way it would not matter how badly they played, no points would have been lost. However, if you're winning a match, replacing key players could result in a big loss. I'm not saying it would have in this case, or against Leeds or Sale, but it is possible and therefore a risk. How great the risk depends on how close the game is. Yes, new players may improve things, but they may equally make things worse. That is a risk.

I agree with much of what you're saying (generally). The development of players like Twelvetrees and Harrison is not going to be helped by watching games from the bench. There is no point bringing players on for two minutes. If you're only going to put them on for that time, you may as well not put them on at all. However, I do understand why Cockerill has not played either of them in such close games.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Lets hope that the intervention from someone high up takes place again - it did the trick last time and England and Tigers now have a very fine scrum half .
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

mike wrote:Lets hope that the intervention from someone high up takes place again - it did the trick last time and England and Tigers now have a very fine scrum half .
Hee hee!

This has to be a joke!

So I reply in like vein.

Sorry, I am not getting involved!

:smt043 :smt046 :smt043
Still keeping the faith!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Bill W ( 2 )
You are obviously a rugby fan, judging by your 7000+ posts
However, there is an old saying------worth remembering !
It is not what you know--but WHO you know
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

norfolkexpat wrote:Bill W ( 2 )
You are obviously a rugby fan, judging by your 7000+ posts
However, there is an old saying------worth remembering !
It is not what you know--but WHO you know
.... And I'm sure Dusty Hare knows Billy Twelvetrees quite well! :smt002
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

To be fair, Northampton's priority must be to secure the services of a quality 10 (and a 9 possibly although Dickson played well before injury) and I do not think 12T fits their requirements.

They have three options at present:
Myler - lacks game control, horribly inconsistent kicker, can't handle pressure.
Gereghty - Has the spark of genious but you just never know what you are going to get, and neither do his teammates or coaches.
Joe Ford - Promising youngster, but 2-3 years away from Premiership.

I believe Billy's future lies in midfield, he could be a target for Saints if the reports that Downey is looking to move on are true but he is not the solution they are looking for at 10 unless they want to take yet another huge risk.

They missed out big time on Charlie Hodgeson and Nicky Robinson. They really need someone relaible at 10 and reliable as a kicker. This is nothing new, they have known this for quite some time.
Always a Tiger
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

I too believe Billy's future lies in the number 12 shirt, but unfortunately he is not going to get much exposure unless Anthony Allen either starts playing badly or is injured!

Personally I don't think AA had one of his better games on Saturday, and I would have liked 12T to have come on in the second half in place of him.

Had he been fully warmed up, and had a chance to take over the kicking duties from Jezza (as he was suffering for most of the second half) I believe he would have nailed that crucial kick and we would now by sitting pretty at the top of the Premiership with a 10 point lead over them pesky Saffas!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

i would like to see Hipkiss and 12T rotated with AA and Manu rather like we carry out prop rotation.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Tigerbob wrote: ...... and we would now by sitting pretty at the top of the Premiership with a 10 point lead over them pesky Saffas!
Don't worry about the Saffas, playing rugby like that will get them nowhere in the long run, and is why they are already out of the HC. Sure, they had a tough group but they lost ALL their home group games.

In the AP they have scored only 24 tries in 17 AP games compared to our 47 tries in the same amount of games. You need more than just tactical kicking and penalties to win trophies.
Always a Tiger