Final Day Fixture Clash Saturday 7th May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Final Day Fixture Clash Saturday 7th May

Post by Bill W (2) »

ellis9 wrote:The football league rules also state that the final round of games should kick off at the same time for the same reasons.
BJ. wrote:daktari wrote:
Don't the Premiership rules state that the last round of matches all have to KO at the same time...could be interesting....
I do not think either set of rules stipulate that spectators have to be present!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
zee

Post by zee »

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,, ... 78,00.html

change confirmed on LCFC website. I think the whole Premiership last day will be moved, maybe to the Sunday?

Sky would probably prefer this too as they can then broadcast both sports final days and guarantee a largeish audience whereas when there on the same time all pubs will show only the football etc.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I do not think PRL will take this lying down.

The Rugby and Soccer games have been advertised as on the Saturday and Sunday respectively for some time.
Still keeping the faith!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I dont see how this is going to work. Do the local authorities have a big enough influence to force the change to one of the games. It is a stupid thing for the football league to do and i hope prl do not move the games.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

If this truly is the case, then perhaps the various authorities (local council, police & Premier Rugby league) should grow a backbone or two. A lot of people have already made arrangements, got time off from work, arranged cover for shifts, and all on the premise that the dates were fixed, & that is probably true for football fans too.

For what justifiable reason has the football league decided that all of a sudden they want to play with their ball on Saturday instead of the Sunday as they had already agreed?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Do I spy the legal eagles circling?

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

BJ. wrote:
chris4xy wrote:Fingers crossed. I bought our tickets for this game believing it wouldn't be moved because Sky had scheduled it for broadcast.

I can't believe that these fixtures cannot be co-ordinated. Surely whoever brings out their fixture lists first could submit them to the other league who could then feed the relevant fixtures in to their computer and avoid this problem. Especially relevant where the ground is shared between two sports.
Where have you heard the Tigers v Irish game will be televised?

Everything was fine until very recently, i.e. the Aviva premiership played its last league matches on Sat 7 May (3pm k/o throughout) and the soccer Championship played its final league matches on Sun 8 May (3pm k/o throughout). Now, the football league in conjunction with Sky & BBC have moved the football forward by just over 24 hours to a 12.45 k/o. Surely Sky, if none of the others, are aware we no longer can play a home match on the same day as the football team.

Sorry BJ, my mistake. When I was looking at the fixtures that were left I didn't scan the list properly.

Still hold by my other comment though that the different leagues should be able to sort fixtures out before the season starts.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I sent an email to the Football League enquiring about the situation. Here's what been said:

Me: What is going on? The final week of Championship games has been moved to Sat 7 May at 12.45. Are you aware this clashes with the final week of rugby union’s Aviva Premiership and all their games are scheduled to kick-off at 3pm? How do you expect Leicester Tigers and Leicester City to play their games on the same day when the police and other local safety organisations have decreed both teams cannot play at home on the same day (regardless of kick-off times).

Them: Thank you for your email regarding the changes to the npower Championship fixture programme on the final weekend of the season. Following consultation with clubs and The League’s broadcasting partners, Sky Sports and BBC Sport, all Championship matches have been moved forward to Saturday 7th May 2011, with a 12.45pm kick-off. Wherever possible, The League tries to keep fixture changes to a minimum. In this particular case, notice of the decision has been given eleven weeks before the matches will take place. This is significantly longer than the six weeks minimum period usually adhered to by The League for a televised fixture change.

Me: Whether it’s six or eleven weeks notice given for the fixture changes, it still does not answer the question of how you expect both Leicester Tigers and Leicester City to play their games on the same day when the police and other local safety organisations have decreed both teams cannot play at home on the same day (regardless of kick-off times).

Them: Thank you for your email. To confirm both The Football League and Local Authorities are aware of the forthcoming fixtures.

So, what's next?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
zee

Post by zee »

SAG will not let us play on the same day as if their is an incident they will be slaughtered.

The way I see it is the Football League dont care/didnt realise it was the final day of the Premiership. They probably don't care anyway as they are a bigger and more high profile organisation who think they can do what they want. They have sky/BBC 1 and every broadcaster tuned into their final day.

Yes it may seem a bit like we've been bullied but wouldnt it now be sensible for the Premiership to move to the Sunday? 11 weeks notice n all that? Then both fans can plan and sky can screen the final rugby day live without the fear that nobody is watching as its also the Football Leagues last day?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BJ. wrote:Following consultation with clubs and The League’s broadcasting partners, Sky Sports and BBC Sport, all Championship matches have been moved forward to Saturday 7th May 2011, with a 12.45pm kick-off.

12:45? So they will be finishing and coming out of the ground at aprox 14:45, just before we kick off.

This needs to be sorted and sorted properly.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

ellis9 wrote:
12:45? So they will be finishing and coming out of the ground at aprox 14:45, just before we kick off.

This needs to be sorted and sorted properly.
Leave supporters in ground until 1505?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

TTRITH - that would certainly work with regard to crowd management - if the roundball fans would wear sitting still for 20 minutes but it may still leave the parking problem ie few spaces available until 15:30.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The two games will not be played on the same day unless one of them has no supporters.

Tigers have been instructed to play on Saturday at 1500 hrs.
City have been instructed to play on Saturday at 1245 hrs.

Police et al will not sanction both.

Over to a learned Judge.
Still keeping the faith!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Unfortunately Tigers will move, it will all come down to TV & £'s. Either way rugby will lose. :smt009
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The home teams for round 22 are Bath, Exeter, Glos, Quins and Stains as well as us. I think (knowing s*d all about the roundball thing) that we are therefore the only side affected.
Last edited by Old Hob on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina