kids standing in the terrace..

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: kids standing in the terrace..

Post by Will S »

I don't think it is very realistic for all parents with kids to turn up 2 hours before kick off - especially with current weather. Must admit I would always let a child go in front of me if they asked politely as if I refused the young nipper wouldn't even get to see the game.

Quite sad to read the views of some posters on here. I know many fans whinge that the game is too commercial and cut throat but it looks as though the old values are dying out in the terraces as well.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Rizzo wrote:
I wouldn't stand behind you, Gate!

"Can I go at the front?"

"Only if you promise to face away from the pitch!" :smt005
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

As I've said, I'll gladly be squished to let small people alongside me, but not in front. If I haven't got that barrier to lean on, frankly I wouldn't be able to walk back to my car. Often I offer to let a child in beside me, but not in front. And I don't have a "designated spot" just an area I try to stand in because I chat with the same people around me. I can't afford a seat, I struggle to pay for a standing Season ticket.

My bugbear is - as some people have said above - those who waltz in from the bar or pub with child or children and just assume they can shove child (and often themselves) to the front regardless. I've been taking my daughter down to Welford Road since she was about 6 and we have always been there when the gates open, whatever the weather. Ditto the family near to where I stand who bring their children too.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

If everybody was sorted by height as they enterd the Crumbie, everyone could have a perfect view. I realise that some people might consider this offensively sizeist, but it is a solution.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

You're all ignoring the real issue here...

...you stand 'on' a terrace not 'in' it.

Sorted :smt023
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
bigfoot25

Post by bigfoot25 »

parvacat that is just ridiculous... so i go down to watch the game with my partner who is a foot smaller than me and we end up watching the game apart!! :smt013
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I dont think it was a serious suggestion. Although it would be a good solution.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Once again, I'm with Rizzo.

It is ok for those with seats to say that if you want to be in the same spot every time, buy a seating ST. We can't afford it, but are quite prepared to queue for some time before the gates open, and then to stand for a further 2 hours before kick off in order to be with our friends. I am not happy to let whole families then push in on the basis that their children cannot see. They can always do what the rest of us do - get there early!!!

If you beat us to our usual spot, so be it!
Valhalla I am coming!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

parvacat wrote:If everybody was sorted by height as they enterd the Crumbie, everyone could have a perfect view. I realise that some people might consider this offensively sizeist, but it is a solution.
I thought apart-height died with the old saff effrica?

Anyway, Tigers have always boasted the family club ethic. That must extend to the support. As ever there are codes of conduct to be observed on both sides of this argument. Turn up ealry enough to be punctual so as not to offend others and those that are there should respect that we've all spent cash and want a decent day out. Some may have travelled a long way and delays may not have been the fault of those arriving late.

When I sit in the stands as we have to with the grandparents being too ill to stand there is a respect to be afforded to those sitting around us. A Child sitting behind me would have hell's delight in seeing the game, so why not organise a swap with my kids so all can see a bit better? It's just common sense.........isn't it?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Ban 'em.
Ban tall people.
Ban "wide" people.
Ban noisy ones
Smokers too
Ban people who talk during the game.
People who eat get on my nerves.
Those on their mobiles.
Some of them stand up at the wrong time.
Rugs!!!!!
Flasks !!!!
Support the away team!!!!!
Make noise at the wrong time........?
The best way to watch rugby is alone, at home with no disruptions, atmosphere or annoyances.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Lets go all seater, wont get these problems or people in gangways.
Twickers.....you sit in a seat, in gangway you are moved.......its easy.

Lets dig up the terrace!! :smt023 :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
johnh

Post by johnh »

Here's a thought..how about a young persons dedicated enclosure (the clubhouse stand perhaps)?
The kids get a seat in a supervised area (security might be an issue but not insurmountable), they can see the game clearly and all those miserable sods who insist that they can't move just a few feet to the right/left can stand where they like.
Having said that I'm not sure that the terrace is the place for young kids though.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

johnh wrote:Here's a thought..how about a young persons dedicated enclosure (the clubhouse stand perhaps)?
The kids get a seat in a supervised area (security might be an issue but not insurmountable), they can see the game clearly and all those miserable sods who insist that they can't move just a few feet to the right/left can stand where they like.
Having said that I'm not sure that the terrace is the place for young kids though.

Please don't resort to name-calling, it's not acceptable on this forum no matter how much you disagree with someone else's viewpoint.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

When me and the little 'un were on the terrace we got there a good hour and a half before kick off to our selected "spot". Having checked that one had done the wee etc.
We then had a seat and that was fine. Young teenager then got fed up of the Friday and Sunday games. So it is me on the terrace. I'm "vertically challenged", when the lad and his uncle have the tickets for Sarries fixtures we arrive in time to get a pitch at the front for the young chap. Uncle Sarries and I find a spot with visual contact but allowing youngsters to see the impact bit of the game.
How sad is it that people are getting so wound up about their "bit" of the terrace?
These youngsters are the Youngs, Ellis, Deacons and Johnsons of the future!

If you can make space for a little person in front of you, that doesn't affect your view or your 2 seconds on Sky or ESPN, where you will probably look miserable or have a face full of pie, then please do it.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

cant see why the terrace isnt a place for young kids. Ive stood there once and did not witness anything which would make me suggest that young kids should not be in that environment.