Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: It feels like an undeserved privilege

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:That must be even more difficult :smt003 My respect knows no bounds.
Cagey T I can assure you and Bill that I dont think my tongue is long enough to be anchored to my 'cheeks' and neither would I wish to try to reach my cheeks! Anyway that would all be behind me! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Surely that depends on where your head is located? :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Bill I have seen the sun shine so it cant be where the sun dont shine :butthead: :butthead: :butthead: :butthead:
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:Cagey T I can assure you and Bill that I dont think my tongue is long enough to be anchored to my 'cheeks' and neither would I wish to try to reach my cheeks! Anyway that would all be behind me! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Surely that depends on where your head is located? :smt016 :smt016 :smt016 :smt016
Bill I have seen the sun shine so it cant be where the sun dont shine :butthead: :butthead: :butthead: :butthead:
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Still keeping the faith!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Undeserved is a bit strong. I'd go for lucky. There hasn't been much consistency and I've thought at times during the season that plenty of other teams could at least match Leicester. I know that they haven't, but there have been plenty of times where that's been down to unforced errors that on another day may not have happened. My main worry is the defence and in particular the apparent ease with which we give away penalties and also the first up tackling. The Tigers' defence is allowing other teams to have far too many chances and the fact that many of these may not have been taken only papers over the cracks. Even Exeter with their so-called 'simple game plan' and (according to some posters) lack of flair managed to get several try scoring chances and it was not Tigers' defence that kept them out but, again, unforced errors. My point is that they can't keep relying on teams to keep messing up their chances because that is doomed to fail eventually. I just worry that if Tigers give Saints the same chances they gave Exeter, Northampton won't screw them up.

I think this next game will be the real test of where Leicester are at the moment and where they're likely to be (injuries notwithstanding) at the end of the season. I also think that a win here would improve the chances of winning away against Scarlets.
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Thanks to those who have accused me of being a dullard / grump / miserable no-hoper.

Let me put my thoughts out there.

If you enter a mini race driving a ferrari, you could be the worst driver in the world and still have a pretty good chance of winning.

So far this season, I estimate we have thrown away 11 points in games we;
a) Should have won
b) Should have scored 4 tries in.

The only sides we have beaten away from home this season are; London Irish, Exeter and Benetton.

Looking at the games we have left;

Sat 8 Jan Leicester Tigers v Northampton Saints
Lost at Franklin Gardens on the opening day.

Sun 13 Feb Leeds Carnegie v Leicester Tigers
Thumped Leeds by 50 points, but they have just beaten Gloucester at Gloucester

Sat 19 Feb Leicester Tigers v London Wasps
Lost away by 7

Fri 25 Feb Sale Sharks v Leicester Tigers
Thumped them, but they not be that bad again.

Sat 5 Mar Leicester Tigers v Saracens
Lost away by 6

Sat 26 Mar Bath Rugby v Leicester Tigers
Beat them at home by 6 points

Sat 2 Apr Harlequins v Leicester Tigers
Beat them at home by 5 points

Sat 16Apr Leicester Tigers v Gloucester Rugby
Lost away by 7 points

Fri 22 Apr Newcastle Falcons v Leicester Tigers
Beat them by 25 points

Sat 7 May Leicester Tigers v London Irish
Beat them by 4 points

The last 4 seasons, 70 points got you a home tie in the end of season farce. We currently have 40 points, so need another 30. 10 games left - 4 points each game, no problem. Anybody willing to put a £10 note on us having 70 points by the end of the season?

It isn't the players that I have a problem with, most of them are performing admirably (I admit to still having reticence about TTTE). It is the backroom staff.

We have a international class pack, a world class half back pairing and internationals and extremely talented backs, who between them all, are colluding to put 'workman' performances, scrapping points.

Remember, we can't accept mediocrity can we?
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Cant remember the last time Tigers had a great start to the season anyway. :smt005

I still believe we will be in the top 2 come the end of the season, and battle it out in the final with Northampton. HC is less certain, after below par performances against the French. Everything rides on the Scarlets game, and with their problems, I think we should win that.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

adamv6 wrote:Remember, we can't accept mediocrity can we?
It is an interesting world you live in where number one in the table with most tries scored qualifies as "mediocrity".
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

adamv6 wrote:(I admit to still having reticence about TTTE).
I missed this pearler on my first reading.
:smt044 :smt044

You cant write things like that and expect to be taken seriously.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

[quote="adamv6"]If you enter a mini race driving a ferrari, you could be the worst driver in the world and still have a pretty good chance of winning.

It isn't the players that I have a problem with, most of them are performing admirably (I admit to still having reticence about TTTE). It is the backroom staff.

quote]
Forget the future, I thought your OP was about the past? We could actually be well ahead if we hadn't blown Gloucester and Wasps. I think the close nature of some but not all games, (think of Sale, a score that high is rare in any season) is a reflection of the reduction in the gulf in class that has been imposed by inter alia the salary cap. The 2001-2002 years will probably never be repeated IMHO. As to our being a Ferrari in a Mini race, well we can only play those in front of us in the Premiership, and I don't agree that there are many mugs (or Minis!). I don't really understand the analogy.
I also find it hard, with respect, to comprehend why you are still reticent about TTTE, he has, (trying to be objective), shown on numerous occasions why he is considered by independent commentators who know much more than me to be a high class performer. Stand out signing in the Northern hemisphere IMHO.
Last edited by Johnnyg on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

We have 40 points. At the same stage last season we had 36 and the season before 32.

Your point is?
Still keeping the faith!
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

We have 40 points. At the same stage last season we had 36 and the season before 32
I didn't know that.

All will be great then :smt037
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

ohh woe is us... how dare we take advantage of the other team making a mistake... how very dare we...

FGS.. we are top.. albeit because of a copuple of games we have played when other teams haven't... but we have those points in the bag the other teams will have to play thiose games at a time when they may be packing games in... we have scored the most tries... most TB points..

HOW VERY DARE WE ....

Now lets all enjoy what we have while we have it.. :smt013
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
divingrob

Post by divingrob »

personal message for adamv6:

I feel that you should be aware that some :censored: is posting stupid forum threads in your name.
:smt036 :smt036 :smt036
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

divingrob wrote:personal message for adamv6:

I feel that you should be aware that some :censored: is posting stupid forum threads in your name.
:smt036 :smt036 :smt036
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

kevf wrote:ohh woe is us... how dare we take advantage of the other team making a mistake... how very dare we...

FGS.. we are top.. albeit because of a copuple of games we have played when other teams haven't... but we have those points in the bag the other teams will have to play thiose games at a time when they may be packing games in... we have scored the most tries... most TB points..

HOW VERY DARE WE ....

Now lets all enjoy what we have while we have it.. :smt013
Except that we haven't really taken advantage of other teams' mistakes. Taking advantage of other teams' mistakes is intercepting a loose pass or pouncing on a poorly fielded kick (as the Tuilagis did against Exeter last week). And that's fine and a mark of a good team. However, not conceding a try in a game due to a team not taking advantage of a four on two overlap is plain luck at this level and not something we can afford to rely on every week. I have no problems with the management of the team or the players themselves and I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't be at the top of the table, but to me it does feel lucky that we're there right now. While it's true that we could have feasibly had however many more points because of missed opportunities, it's also true that we could have had a fair few less because of other teams' missed opportunities (eg the Harlequins game). The apparent dependence on other teams making unforced errors worries me. That is all. I don't think we're as dominant as lots of people are saying.

Also, I really dislike the attitude of many on here that to criticise the team's performance means the person can't be a 'true supporter' or is stupid. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I think this thread, whilst perhaps a bit strongly worded is a valid one. Afterall, just because you're winning doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

TigerAlex wrote:Also, I really dislike the attitude of many on here that to criticise the team's performance means the person can't be a 'true supporter' or is stupid. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I think this thread, whilst perhaps a bit strongly worded is a valid one. Afterall, just because you're winning doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.
I agree with that entirely. Disagree respectfully but don't abuse or ridicule. All that happens on any forums (or fora I suppose if you drink in the Pedant's Head) if people are ridiculed or patronisingly corrected is that many won't bother to come back. That is often to the detriment of everyone in the long run. Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether right or wrong, spelt correctly or incorrectly and even (heaven forbid) if grammatically inaccurate.

I think we deserve to be where we are, is it a coincidence that teams don't take their chances against us but do against others? Is that luck? Not entirely.