Geordan Murphy...our captain.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordan Murphy...our captain.

Post by tigerburnie »

Av8tor,I partially agree with you,but we have a full back as captain not a forward,it makes a difference.Johnno or Cozza would have done as you prescribed,it is in the forwards mentality.Geordie wasn't wrong,if the kick had gone over then the drop out would have returned the ball to us.Just an unfortunate miss in a high pressure game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

There was also a poor decision from geordan after he made a great break. Only the fullback to beat and with 2 players steaming up on his left Geordan went right and got tackled by another player tracking back.

Had he shipped it to Ayerza about 15m out the oposition full back wouldn't have stopped him with the speed he'd got going
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

At least he made a break which is more than can be said for most of our backs. We are lacking a cutting edge of any description in our back play at present.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:There was also a poor decision from geordan after he made a great break. Only the fullback to beat and with 2 players steaming up on his left Geordan went right and got tackled by another player tracking back.

Had he shipped it to Ayerza about 15m out the oposition full back wouldn't have stopped him with the speed he'd got going
Did Ayerza call for it? In that postion it was probably difficult to see Ayerza.

I wish Murphy did a trick I have only seen him do once in his time at Tiger where he does a chip and chase but the ball is chipped like a tap penalty so it is kicked straight into his own hands. Apparently a Gaelic football trick. It worked a dream when he did it. Defender turned to chase the kick only to see the ball wasn't behind him and Murphy changed his angle and ran in.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Well add me to the list of people that thing this is ridiculous. He is still a fantastic player, and I think he is a tremendous captain. Perpignan didnt really look like scoring another try, which was why he went for the 3 rather than the corner, anyway thats just one call.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I would stick with Murphy, form is temporary, class is permanent.
With a little more speed and more cutting edge in the back division alot of pressure to deliver cutting lines, clear breaks etc would be removed from GM, so enabling him to play better.IMHO
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
tac106

Post by tac106 »

First of all, I think it's important that the fan base of a club regularly appraises the performance of its players. This site is a great forum for that.

GM has always been prone to a few howlers, but more than it makes up for it with his acts of sheer class. He's showing his age, that's all. Still first choice full-back.

I think if we're all a little honest our performances this season, bar the Llanelli and London Irish games, haven't been great.

Our forward strength will always be our r'aison d'etre (and will perhaps be enough to win premierships) but our back play has been lacking for a number of years now which means no chance of a Heineken Cup.

I think we reached a zenith against Cardiff in the semi a few years back. Dupuy, Flood, GM and Scotty all on fire that day. Our centres seem to be lacking - perhaps develop Twelvetrees and Tuilagi as 12/13.

PS Disappointed with Cockerill's post-match comments. Sour grapes and we had chances to win it. Dislike his penchant for turning the air blue too.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I am normally a kick for the corner & keep the pressure on kind of guy but Geordan was quite right to go for the 3 points to take the drop goal - pen chance for draw away.
However by that time I believe Staunton should have been on taking over from BT with BT moving to centre for Smith. He would have run the game for us kicking for corners keeping control something sadly lacking with BT at 10.
We had chances to win but too many mistakes & poor restarts are killing us at present(when will our 10 be able to restart by dropping the a high ball just over 10 metre line & not in the opponents 22??)
Still in our own hands 2 wins needed but we need to show the intensity of those last 60 secs when we had to go and win that ball (& did just that) for much longer.
Maybe give Geordan & Scotty a rest over Christmas & let our Argentinians have a run around, it's not all doom & gloom at least we got the game played!!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Just watching the replay on itv, Murphy's last pass is thrown to a man in green....unfortunately it's the touch judge. I thought it was a tiger's player for a moment, maybe TD's shouldn't wear the same colour as one of the teams. Just a thought .
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

daktari wrote:Just watching the replay on itv, Murphy's last pass is thrown to a man in green....unfortunately it's the touch judge. I thought it was a tiger's player for a moment, maybe TD's shouldn't wear the same colour as one of the teams. Just a thought .
I thought the same thing at the time as i watched on TV. I was screaming yes we're in then, :censored: he's holding a flag!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Do people actually watch games or decide beforehand that they will only see errors from players they want to moan about. GM had a very good game against USAP and if ball had gone to hand then several times we would have had very goog scoring opportunities. At least he tries things if they dont come off people whine and moan. He is still our best back, better than Scotty, Flood, Billy or Manu. Everyone makes mistakes but GM creates more which ocmpensates for any mistakes.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigers have only three players who understand geometry and two others who have a passing acquaintance with it.

The three. GM, 12T and Lucas.

The two. Bubbles and Manu.

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
DesinVienna
Tiger Cub

Post by DesinVienna »

Well..all is not doom and gloom!
I remain confident that GM will return to sparkling form at some stage this season. In the meantime he is certainly good enough even when a little off key. Sure, he is probably his own most harsh critic however we all need a boost every now and then....Geordan Murphy - an Irish and Tigers legend.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Bill W (2) wrote:Tigers have only three players who understand geometry and two others who have a passing acquaintance with it.

One of your more curious pronouncements Bill. I would say most of the "geometry" in our game comes from Matt O'Connor and is very league based.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tb1 wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Tigers have only three players who understand geometry and two others who have a passing acquaintance with it.

One of your more curious pronouncements Bill. I would say most of the "geometry" in our game comes from Matt O'Connor and is very league based.
I have frequently "pronounced" that Tigers three quarters and half backs do not undertand how to run angles. It may well be this is because they are coached not to.
Still keeping the faith!