Geoff Parling

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Geoff Parling

Post by hww27 »

oh here we go again.... the same old statement that gets trotted out every time someone gets injured, no matter how severe. 'oh they should retire/be released' in Geoff's case (and in most other cases - I distinctly remember last time a certain T. Croft was injured someone started bleating oh hes finished, he should give up now etc - yeah, its really majorly affected his game hasnt it :smt012 ) this is just a load of rubbish. Geoff has been desperately unlucky and to compare his injury to someone like Harry's or Richard Blaze's is just frankly laughable. These guys had long-term injuries that stretched over multiple seasons, yes Geoff will miss the rest of this season but thats just sheer bad luck. I should hope that the club would stand by him.

And as for number 7's, we could do far worse than give Armesy a go. He was quite a useful player for Notts - hes pretty good.
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Jay C wrote:What rotten luck for Geoff - he was looking a certainty for the world cup until his injuries struck.

And to miss all bar 90 seconds of this season is awful.

On the plus side - Slater is a nailed on certainty to be signed up by his hometown club and I know Geoff WILL come back better & stronger than ever !

Best wishes Geoff - stay positive :smt026
Tell you what though - a years pay for 90 seconds work isn't a bad deal. :smt002
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
kingol22 wrote:the salary cap is not perfect but it does do its job. Also i would prefer to be in a position where we lose loads of players to england in particular than have a squad like sarries do.
I don't think the Sarries squad is too bad right now. They've got experienced heads nurturing young English talent.

The question is will they develop it fully and bring those guys into the first team over the next 2 seasons (I expect they will) or will they bring in more retired internationals?

The difference is Sarries bought most of the older heads in in one go which made it seem so extreme.
I agree I get fed up of people saying that sarries are just full of south african kourneymen were if you look at there academy system and the england age groups they have alot of players there.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Parling will be back and I'm sure with a vengeance.
It was an unfortunate injury.
Old Hobs you, if not deliberately provocative, have been out of order. Glad you are not my boss, or looking at some of your times of posting your boss is not aware of what you are doing!
Was it Skinner putting the tackle in on Parling?
As for "full pay" for 90 seconds, probably says more about the poster's mentality towards work.
Within that 90 seconds Parling had made two very effective carries. I'm sure I know what he would be wanting to do for his pay!
Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Outlander »

barson wrote:
Jay C wrote:Tell you what though - a years pay for 90 seconds work isn't a bad deal. :smt002
Sorry, can't resist sticking in my oar with the perhaps obvious but needed riposte.

Injured guys put in long, agonizing, wearying hours in rehab. Parling has done this for months and now he must start again.

Rehabbing is not a slack way to earn a wage packet.

Anyway, count me with those who can't wait to see Parling back. I will never forget his steal of that last Sarries line out last year!
Just a Yankee looker-on from afar.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Hey the yanks are back - how are you doing Outlander? Anyway if you'll just focus on the smiley to the right of my statement for a moment.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

As I understand it, players returning from an immobilizing injury are more prone to "ultra planar" injuries. That is in gym work and our joints and muscles operate within a relatively narrow percentage of their plane of possible movement. Training expands this somewhat, but still does not offer "planar stress", i.e. requirement to be stressed near the limits of planes of movement and operation.

Game time builds this up, which also explains why some players who get a lot of game time seem to pick up less injuries.

If so, Geoff came on from months of rehab and healing, and was very unlucky that almost his first engagement seemed to result in an "ultra planar" stress on his knee, which was not yet strong in this plane of movement.

Or it could just have been a big bloke falling on an exposed joint from a bad angle and all I have written is inapplicable.

Poor kid.

I love his work, and I wish him well for a rapid recovery.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Really bad luck, let's hope that the year out enables him to have an extra year at the end of his career.
johnh

Post by johnh »

Looked very nasty from where I was standing and I fear that we may not see him play again in a Tigers shirt but that must be his decision based on the immediate or long term prognosis of the injury and the professional advice he (and the club) receives from the medics.
Although I don't like the apparent coldhearted comment by 'Old Hob' he does have a point.
Let's remember that professional sport is a business and that and sometimes unpleasant decisions have to be made on that basis not on emotion (e.g the Loffredda farce). If someone cannot peform the task for which they are employed, then thier employer (in this case LFC) must consider thier options.
I wish the lad well and really hope he fully recovers. He has been a fantastic player for us and I look forward to seeing him play for us next season (hopefully).
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

barson wrote:
Tell you what though - a years pay for 90 seconds work isn't a bad deal. :smt002
Conveniently overlooking the months of rehab & then training to recover from the injury picked up on England duty and the months of rehab to come.

The guy has been unlucky - neck disk and an ACL - two different & unrelated injuries. If the injuries were 18 months apart no one would be writing him off quite so prematurely.

The club has certainly given it's players every chance to recover - Mauger & Ellis and Deacon being examples who have missed much more of the past few seasons with injury. All being well Geoff will be back early next season.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I agree mol2 but with regard to barsons' comment i really think he was just having a light hearted, tongue in cheek moment, hence the type of smiley used. :smt002
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Ah I see at least one member of the forum has eyes open and brain engaged. :smt023
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

barson wrote:Ah I see at least one member of the forum has eyes open and brain engaged. :smt023
Does only happen but once a year, bit like christmas. :smt038
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Get well Geoffrey xxx :smt056

Such a shame, poor guy must be so depressed. Bet it's cheering him up loads reading all this :smt009
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

cornish tigress wrote:Get well Geoffrey xxx :smt056

Such a shame, poor guy must be so depressed. Bet it's cheering him up loads reading all this :smt009
Too right!

Recover well Geoff. And when you have, as you will, please do not accept any of the wonderful offers you will receive from other clubs.

:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Still keeping the faith!