England Centre Pairing - your vote

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

England Centre Pairing - your vote

Post by Jay C »

Okay, so most discussion before & after the NZ game is around 12 & 13.

I thought Hape had a good game & Tindall is steady but not good enough. We need to improve this area in order to really challenge big teams, but how ?

Others in the Elite squad are Wouldock, Wilkinson and Flutey.
Saxons have Allen, Barritt, Hipkiss & Tait.
Or is there someone outside the squads that should be playing for England ...

Who would you pick at 12&13 to see England right through into the WC ?
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: England Centre Pairing - your vote

Post by kingol22 »

anybody except flutey. As people keep saying manu is looking good for 13 in the future and maybe a good performance against australia and a bit of luck for him and johno might take a gamble with him for the samoa game but i doubt it. stick with hape for now but i really want to see wilko at 12 when hes fit again. So 10 flood 12 wilko 13 manu problem solved :smt023
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Allen is currently training with the Elite squad, I would like to see him given a go, but 13 seemed more of a problem than 12 yesterday. Not sure I would throw Allen in at 13. If Hipkiss was fit and firing I would like to see him play outside Flutey or Allen. Maybe Tait should be given a chance in this more attack minded England. I would say Waldouck, but his form is pretty bad.

Unfortunately we just arent blessed with centres at the moment. Post World Cup, things look brighter however.

Up to the World Cup, I think its Flutey and Tindall... (Maybe Allen at 12), but if Hipkiss can stay fit, I would put a bet on Flutey and Hipkiss. (Again, maybe Allen at 12).
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Or Johnno will insist on sticking with Hape. Which I feel, seems quite likely. :smt012

Having Hape AND Tindall will only bring us down. I think we can just about handle one of them, but the other needs to be more threatening or creative.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kingol22 wrote:anybody except flutey. As people keep saying manu is looking good for 13 in the future and maybe a good performance against australia and a bit of luck for him and johno might take a gamble with him for the samoa game but i doubt it. stick with hape for now but i really want to see wilko at 12 when hes fit again. So 10 flood 12 wilko 13 manu problem solved :smt023

Manu hasn't broken into our first team yet and you want him to play at full international level,care to explain how you make that call? Surely he needs to play 80 minutes in the premiership couldron,before throwing him to the fire that is international rugby.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Allen - you must be joking - he's a steady player but not an International . No physical presence , no pace , no attacking threat whatsover - he wouldn't be in my Tigers team .Billy and Manu will be our centre pairing in 12 months time !
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

12T! :smt041
Oh wait we need him a lot at the moment! I will be content with him starting for us
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Hape IMO has kept his place. Problem with Hippo is he has the same defensive rushes of blood as Tindall, albeit for different reasons. I would be tempted by Armitage, but he is brain-dead at times, and after that we get very quiet. I think Hape and Hippo would work off the front foot very well, especially if we played a forward dominated game (as IMO we should).
Just get rid of Flutey and Tindall, please, and let's not be stupid about the lads at Tigers.
A back to full fitness and form Hippo would be a suitable replacement for Tindall.

Expect it in the 6N.
Still keeping the faith!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Tindall was poor yesterday, I thought. He rushed up out of the defensive line far too much. The New Zealand backs didn't have to worry about creating gaps because he did that for them! He was actually behind the New Zealander who received the ball for the first try before the pass. Trouble is, I don't know who I'd put there instead. I don't agree with putting Wilkinson in the centres- Flood and Wilkinson did not work in Newcastle and that combination has had plenty of chance to work at international level and just hasn't.

Suggesting that Johnson picks Manu for next weekend is absolutely ridiculous. Where exactly has he looked good? In all 10 minutes of game time (per game, on average) he's had above academy level this season? He can't get into the Tigers 1st XV, why do you think he merits international selection? Maybe he will be an international star, but not yet.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

John Clarke -Saints

Olly Barkley- Bath

Not saying these are defo starters but if England are building for the future then these are the sort of players who should be in the England squad. They can't be any worse than Tindle and Hape and they are English. Hape aint.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

g wrote:John Clarke -Saints

Olly Barkley- Bath

Not saying these are defo starters but if England are building for the future then these are the sort of players who should be in the England squad. They can't be any worse than Tindle and Hape and they are English. Hape aint.
England are no longer building for the future, g, they are fine tuning for the World Cup.

Barkley has been tried and found wanting.
Still keeping the faith!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I agree, we need to look at options for now and until 2011 WC. After that there is a wave of exciting centres coming through that we should look at on the road to 2015.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Find tuning?? No we have a midfield that just isn't good enough, that requires more than fine tuning!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.